"Important upgrade required for bills" not working

Comments

• JonM523
    JonM523 Member ✭✭
    Hey, I've (re)discovered the Home screen, and the many options available there.
    I had gotten used to landing on the Stack View all these years... which seems to be the only view I can't put on the Home screen.
  • Chuck P
    Chuck P Member ✭✭
    "Important upgrade required for bills" not working". Still not working even after update!
  • jcwroton
    jcwroton Member
    I am having the same issue of not being able to remove an online biller. I just sent the error report to the attention of Sarah as instructed earlier in this thread.
  • Ray Broadnax
    Ray Broadnax Member ✭✭
    Good morning Sarah, I just sent my info to you. 14 Feb, 2020, 10:38 PM, CST. I chatted online a few days ago about this issue. He had me back up the file, delete Quicken and install 2017 but I didn't have the code for the Deluxe version so I'm back at 2020. He said the next level would delete billers, AT&T and Capital One 360, on their end w/in 24 hrs and that I should be ok to update. Well it's been long pass that and I desperately need this resolved. Thank you for your help.
  • Ray Broadnax
    Ray Broadnax Member ✭✭
    I just finished with tech support about this problem. The fastest way to resolve this is to contact support and they will have you upload their data file, they'll fix it, and then you do the reverse. It was that simple. I'm sure others will benefit from your input like I'm doing now.
  • kimbwood
    kimbwood Member ✭✭
    Still having this issue... "'Important upgrade required for bills' not working"... could we please get a status update.
  • JonM523
    JonM523 Member ✭✭
    Looking for an official statement here...Is there a patch in the works, or are individual file fixes going to be only fix?
  • shrekfl
    shrekfl Member ✭✭
    Just upgraded to R25.10 build 27.1.25.10. Problem still exists.
    Understand we can upload data files and get fixed; however, seems this should be fixed as there are several folks with issues. Prefer not to spend the time with support fixing an issue that several people have. Three releases now, no fix, and no response from Quicken.

Quicken asks why I don't recommend Quicken to friends and associates -- this thread is a primary example.

Started with quicken back in floppy disk days. It's unfortunate we are having so many crashes, bugs, and little support.
  • Jimmy R
    Jimmy R Member
    I'd be happy at this point if they would be clear how to upload your file and get it fixed. We can talk about reimbursement for the services we paid for that were not provided later, and maybe don't need to, if you fix our files
  • JonM523
    JonM523 Member ✭✭
    > @shrekfl said:
    > Just upgraded to R25.10 build 27.1.25.10. Problem still exists.
    > Understand we can upload data files and get fixed; however, seems this should be fixed as there are several folks with issues. Prefer not to spend the time with support fixing an issue that several people have. Three releases now, no fix, and no response from Quicken.
    >
    > Quicken asks why I don't recommend Quicken to friends and associates -- this thread is a primary example.
    >
    > Started with quicken back in floppy disk days. It's unfortunate we are having so many crashes, bugs, and little support.
    >
    >

Also updated and NOT fixed. 😒
    I second everything shrekfl said here. At least there was MS Money back then.
    Accessing my data via a web browser is now a plus. But just like with the Android app, it is like using 2 very different apps when I want the same familiar experience.
  • sksay91
    sksay91 Member
    Using R25.10 Build 27.1.25.10
    I sent my data too.
    Had this problem since December. I do know which upgrade it started, but it is very frustrating.
    When will Quicken respond with a solution?
  • @"Quicken Sarah"

The fix for me was to use @"Patrick O'Leary" 's suggestion in this comment:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20028785/#Comment_20028785

The bottom line is that Quicken 2017 is doing something different when you click on the remove, and the problem bill is deleted, unlike in the Subscription version. So clearly something has been changed in that code that needs to go back into the Quicken subscription version. Note that I'm on the latest version of Quicken subscription R25.10. And the version of Quicken 2017 once installed was the latest for it, R19.5.

The developers need to diff the these two different versions in that area of code and find out what is different.

One more thing. I believe one of the reasons I had this problem in the first place is because I deleted my cloud data account, but this might just be coincidence. I had just deleted my cloud data in the hopes of clearing up another bill presentment problem. In that case I had deleted a bill that wouldn't work because of 2FA needing to now send a code for every access to that account. That bill deleted without any problem, but the "server" was still making attempts to get the bill. I know that because I kept getting a text for the code on that account about once a day. So I figured I would try deleting the cloud data. But nothing seemed to change with the bill information, so I doubt anything changed on the server. In the mean time I had a bill that only comes in once in 6 months and the reminder really wasn't too useful, so I deleted it. This is when I got the problem in this thread. The bill said it was deleted in the message, but it stayed in the list. The next time I started Quicken I got the message above the bills about the "important update"... With all my other bills marked "Verified", but that one bill marked "Remove". Clicking on the remove again has say it removed it, but it never actually did it. And as such it would get out of the "Important update" "mode".

When I installed Quicken 2017 and clicked the Remove, it actually did remove it, and that cleared the "Important upgrade" "mode".
  • cardwel1
    cardwel1 Member ✭✭
    > @FixFound said:
    > @Quicken Sarah
    >
    > The fix for me was to use @Patrick O'Leary 's suggestion in this comment:
    > https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20028785/#Comment_20028785
    >
    > The bottom line is that Quicken 2017 is doing something different when you click on the remove, and the problem bill is deleted, unlike in the Subscription version. So clearly something has been changed in that code that needs to go back into the Quicken subscription version. Note that I'm on the latest version of Quicken subscription R25.10. And the version of Quicken 2017 once installed was the latest for it, R19.5.
    >

Is there any way to download the 2017 version still? I've looked and I don't have it although I think I did at one time. And my account doesn't seem to have it linked. :neutral:
  • @cardwel1 Sorry I can't help you there, I always keep a copy of my installs, and that is why I have it. I don't know how to get a copy of the install, especially since I didn't buy mine from Quicken Inc.
  • @cardwel1 One thought on this. Quicken 2017 was from when Quicken was owned by Intuit. Are you logging into your Intuit account?
    https://accounts.intuit.com/signin.html
  • JonM523
    JonM523 Member ✭✭
    @FixFound Something improved in the latest update. 1 of 2 billers (Verizon) was successfully removed. (I had enrolled in Automatic payments and no longer wanted the reminders in my upcoming bills.) The other (Netflix) that is no longer working, and 1 of the previous "verified" billers will still not go away.

Does the Stack view come back when these are all gone?

WHY does this notice have to REPLACE the Stack view, the only one you can't also add to the Home view?
  • @JonM523 My "experience" in this is very limited (one time event) and I certainly can't speak for the developers or such, but I will give as much details as I can remember.

So your last question first. I have no idea why this notice and the "verify" listing have to be displayed instead of the normal view.

For me it starts like this. I have an online bill I want to remove. I selected the Settings/gear icon -> Manage Online Billers -> Remove on the bill in question.

It goes through the "motion" of removing showing a dialog and such, and at the end the dialog says "Success". But when I close the dialog the bill was still there.
    Tried this a couple times, same result.

Later closed and opened Quicken and then the view is now replaced with the message of this thread, "Important upgrade...." and below it the bills are listed. the "good ones" that I didn't delete are listed as "Verify" or maybe "Verified" I forget exactly which (I tend to think it was the first). Just see I did click on one of the Verify, but it did nothing. My last "removed" bill had "Remove" on it. I clicked on it and it went through the motions of deleting it and again gave the dialog that it had been removed. But again nothing changed in the list.

So, I came here looking to see if anyone had found a way to clear this and found @Patrick O'Leary 's answer (thank very much Patrick!). I installed Quicken 2017 and got the same looking screen/message. But this time when I clicked on Remove, it actually removed the bill from the list. And then it immediately switched back to proper view. I normally display them by Biller Name, but all the view types came back.

So, I believe the ones that are marked "Verify" are already OK, and it the "other one(s)" that need to be fixed and once they are you get the proper view(s) back.
  • @JonM523 looking back at what you said, and thinking about it, it has to be "Verified", and those are "OK" and you can't do anything with them. At this point you can't remove them. You need to clear the other ones, and then you should be back to the correct views and then you can delete them if you like.
  • jeffcl1
    jeffcl1 Member ✭✭
    I am on R25.10 and still cannot resolve the "Attention! Important upgrade required for Online Bills" Will there ever be a resolution to this problem? I have been watching for something since November.
  • JonM523
    JonM523 Member ✭✭
    @FixFound Sorry, I meant to address the last sentence to Quicken Sara.
  • JonM523
    JonM523 Member ✭✭
    I have now updated to Version R25.15
    This issue still exists.
  • Chris Anania
    Chris Anania Mac Beta Beta
    I have the same problem. I am unable to resolve this message and I also have a bill that no longer exists that I am unable to remove. In fact, I am not able to modify the settings for any of my online bills. :s
  • shrekfl
    shrekfl Member ✭✭
    New version R25.18 (build 27.125.18) and issue is still there.
    Unfortunate my yearly subscription just renewed. Wish quicken was still product based and we could choose if upgrading to new version was worth it.

To re-iterate to Quicken ... this is an example of why I no longer recommend quicken to Friends. As a matter of fact, I've gone out of my to to tell people not to use Quicken anymore.
  • Harlan
    Harlan Member ✭✭
    I too have been unable to resolve this issue. I just applied R25.18 hoping it would resolve issue, but NO. I have a list of payees that have a green verified check mark. But one pesky payee asking to be removed because Quicken doesn't support. There is a remove button and when pressing, says it is successfully removed. But it is not, still there. Now Quicken introduces Quicken Bill Manager and one of the steps is to use the gearbox in upper right of BILLS & INCOME screen. There is no gearbox displayed and probably won't until I get first issue cleared. GRRRRRR!!!!!
  • Marc D Anderson
    Marc D Anderson Member ✭✭
    I'm on Quicken 2020 R25.18 (Build 27.1.25.18).

I've gotten several emails from Quicken with the subject "PRODUCT ALERT: Updates are coming to your Quicken Bill Pay Account", and it's clear I need to follow the instructions to "upgrade". Also, today I stated getting a prompt on Quicken start saying "Critical Service Alert!" with a link explaining how to update.

Here's the info page: https://www.quicken.com/billpayD?utm_source=&utm_medium=email&utm_content=006&utm_campaign=EMBP01NA200305

I've had most of the issues people have listed above. The first few times I went to Bills & Income I saw maybe two dozen billers, some of which I haven't worked with in at least a few years. On maybe the third Quick restart, it changed to a different, short list saying "Attention! Important upgrade required for Online Bills." I have two billers I can't remove (American Express and a bank) no matter how many times I try, restart, reboot, etc.

I don't have Q2017 lying around anymore, and I'm not sure that would even work, as the file formats have changed since then. HELP! :/
  • BobLindemann
    BobLindemann Member ✭✭
    Over the last two updates I find it harder and harder to find my list of Bill & Income reminders. Before upgrading to 2018 last year, I had my Bill and Income reminders on a tab on the top of the page. Very easy to access. Then I upgraded to 2018 subscription version and they disappeared. I then found I could get to them from the 'Bills' drop down. Now in the last update I received that disappeared. Now I have to go to "Bills" drop down and go to
    Bills' which brings me to a screen on the top says "Attention! Important upgrade required for Online Bills" but I have to clear the list below. The list has three old online bills I entered years ago just in testing the feature. I cant get rid of them, I try to remove but they don't go away. They have a message that says I need to login again to connect - Not sure if that's why they wont remove, but the accounts are no longer active so I cant login even if that was the problem. I don't want to use online bills though so it makes no difference, I just want my bill reminders. So from this screen found I have to click on 'Manage Manual Bills and Income' which brings me to my reminders. This is really a pain in the butt - especially if I am jumping back and fourth from my accounts to my reminders. Is there a way to put the bill and income reminder on the toolbar? If I were to somehow get the paged cleared with the old online bills, would my bill and income reminders show up there?
    Thanks to all for their help!
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    As you said you have a Bills pull-down menu, I suspect you're using the Classic Menus.  To have the Bills & Income tab appear, I suggest you check View > Show Tabs and View > Tabs To Show > Bills  

If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/cannot-delete-online-payment-or-payee

To go access the same window as appears when select Manage Manual Bills and Income, I suggest you press Ctrl + J.

To add a button to the toolbar, right click in the toolbar and select Customize Toolbar.

• Quicken Julio
    Quicken Julio Moderator, Employee mod
    Hi @BobLindemann,

Thanks for posting to our Community.

I want to help you place a shortcut to your Bill & Income Reminders.

First, let's make sure your Tool Bar is displayed. Please navigate to View > Show Toolbar.

Next, let's go to View > Customize Toolbar...

Check the box next to "Show all toolbar choices". Select Manage Bill & Income Reminders under Available toolbar buttons: then click Add.

Manage Bill & Income Reminders will now be under Your toolbar buttons:. Click Done in the bottom right corner of the window.

Your Manage Bill Income & Reminders Icon will now be in the Toolbar.

Best,
    JV
  • Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello All,

Thank you for reporting that the prompt for the "Important Upgrade for billers" is continuing to occur.

We have re-escalated this issue to our Product Teams for further investigation and will post back with any updates and/or resolution as they are received.

Thank you,

Sarah
  • TheLogicEscapesMe
    TheLogicEscapesMe Member ✭✭✭
    > @Marc D Anderson said:
    > I'm on Quicken 2020 R25.18 (Build 27.1.25.18).
    >
    > I don't have Q2017 lying around anymore, and I'm not sure that would even work, as the file formats have changed since then. HELP! :/
    >
    >

Just so you know, the file formats haven't changed since Quicken 2016. Quicken 2017 and above can read Quicken Subscription data files.
This discussion has been closed.