Issues with Split transactions - how to make a split a true split in your register and reports

1. How can I show a split transaction on separate lines in the register (not just the split box)?
2. The memo field in a split isn't the same as the memo field in the register??
3. How to include notes in the Split?
4. How do you get an extracted Split to show properly? It is extracted with only data on the first line of the split, not on each line

I dont see a way to work with splits in quicken or in an extraction. The point of a split is to properly allocate.

thanks

Answers

• volvogirlvolvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    What transaction are you splitting?  Can you give an example?  If it's a credit card payment you do not want to split that one.  If you want to show separate lines in your register you have to make separate entries for each one.  Or use a separate account to enter the individual lines and then make the split entry just a single transfer to the holding account. 

For Credit Card.......
    The proper way is to set up a credit card ACCOUNT and enter the charges into it when the purchase is made and assigning it to a category. Then when you pay the bill you TRANSFER the payment from your checking account to the credit card account (not a category).   Then if or when you download the payment from the bank you match it to the one you already entered.

When you enter the payment in your checking account you put the credit card account name in for the category using square brackets around the name to indicate it is a transfer...like this… [credit card] or newer Mac versions have a separate Transfer column.

• CejkameoutCejkameout Member
    Thanks for the response, no its not a credit card payment (a credit card payment shouldn't need to be split). I understand how to set up accounts and what transfers do, this doesn't apply to that.

I have deposits and expenses both that I split.

Example, I go to Walmart and buy some makeup, shampoo and bathbombs and I buy a microwave. I don't want to have to separate my goods and make two purchases, so I make one purchase (one receipt/charge). In Quicken, I would split and categorize the first items as "Personal Care", and the microwave as "Household Appliances".

I want to note that its a microwave, but there is no note field in the split box.

all the other issues I addressed apply to this type of an entry with a split.

I have some splits that have 4 or 5 lines (especially on deposits).
  • CejkameoutCejkameout Member
    Also, making each entry its own line item then becomes challenging when you reconcile your accounts because the total doesn't match. I have about 10 main accounts I work with between work and personal - I am trying to simplify.

If I could export to excel and manipulate there, that would work but the splits dont export with all the data attached so there is no way to recognize what the transaction is unless you go back through quicken to identify (tedious).
    For deposits you definitely need to use an intermediate holding account.  Set up a cash account and call it something like Checks Received or Undeposited Payments.  Then enter each payment into it. Then when you make the deposit to your bank account you transfer the total deposit amount to the new account.  That way if you download your bank transactions the deposit will match.
    For a store receipt you could make 2 separate entries.  Split the receipt up before you enter it.  Like for $200 make an entry for 150 Microwave and a new entry for 50 Personal.  

Or just put Microwave & Misc on the memo line for the whole transaction.
    Or after you enter the transaction go to the appliance account or category and manually enter a better description on that side.
  • Rocket J SquirrelRocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. How can I show a split transaction on separate lines in the register (not just the split box)?
    You can't. You can instead use an intermediate holding account as Volvogirl suggested.
    2. The memo field in a split isn't the same as the memo field in the register??
    That's right. Each split line has a memo and the overall transaction has a memo, too. This can get confusing when you're searching for something.
    3. How to include notes in the Split?
    You can't include a Note on each split line. You can only include a Memo on each split line. A Note can only be attached to the overall transaction.
    4. How do you get an extracted Split to show properly? It is extracted with only data on the first line of the split, not on each line
    I don't understand "extracted". What exactly are you trying to do here?
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS.
    Now using QWin Premier subscription version on Win7 Pro x64.
  • Rich_MRich_M SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you run a register report and check show splits on the customize display tab, you will get the split detail when you export to Excel.
    Quicken 2017 Premier - Windows 10
  • Thank you all for the input - I appreciate it. My main goal is to make quicken work for me and avoid "a work around" if I can.

I have about 45 accounts, and 15 of them that I move transactions between, so need the easiest way to reconcile these accounts as possible.

Rocket Squirrel: (sorry I don't know how you do the cool snapshots of my questions to answer, or I would do the same). By "extracted", I mean when I am in the register of an account, and I choose export to excel. The data I pull to excel is my extracted data.

Volvo Girl: most my deposits are ARs, so that is not really an issue like expense is (but there is still need on occasion to split).

Rich_M: Silly question, but how does one run a registry report as you suggest? I have customized a handful of reports (Revenue, expense, P&Ls and budget type). When I have exported those to excel it only gives me the summarized data (no sub-category detail, which is where I do most my analytics).

Since I have found the reports very limited, I like to export the transactions (as mentioned above to Rocket Squirrel), however, when I do this i get every transaction in every account (which I don't need), and there is data missing. It is splitting the amount out and the category, but not the date, account, payee, memo or tag.

Thanks again
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    "(sorry I don't know how you do the cool snapshots of my questions to answer, or I would do the same)."
    It's only the more experienced users (I.E., more stars after the User ID) that have that ability.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Rich M: adding one thing to my last message. The only other way I know to extract the data from quicken is to filter (search by criteria), then hightlight the rows of transactions you need by using the control key and down arrow. Then right click and copy/paste to excel.

This is great because I can filter out a lot of unecessary accounts, however, splits don't show at all this way.
  • NotACPA - now I have to ask..........how does one become a superuser in terms of the community group? How do you earn your stars? I am a newbee here in the community. thanks
  • Rocket J SquirrelRocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    NotACPA - now I have to ask..........how does one become a superuser in terms of the community group? How do you earn your stars? I am a newbee here in the community. thanks
    How to earn your stars:

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS.
    Now using QWin Premier subscription version on Win7 Pro x64.