How come the cost basis of the lots don't add up to the total cost basis?

In one of my accounts, there are two securities where the cost basis of the individual lots don't add up to the total for that security and, as a result, the total cost basis for that account is not correct. In both cases, the total cost basis is larger than the sum of the lots. I'm using Quicken Premier 2019, Version R21.17, Build 27.1.21.17 under Windows 10. I've manually deleted and reentered all the buy/sell transactions and get the same result. Any one else experienced that condition and, if so, have any suggestions on how to fix it?

Answers

• jr7107jr7107 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Is the security a different currency than that of the base currency?
    Quicken user since 1994.
    Quicken Forum/Community Contributor since 2005.
  • No. All securities are in US dollars.
    edited September 9
    Might need to rebuild your investment lots. Back up your data, then File/Operations/Validate Repair/Rebuild Investment Lots and then see what the behavior is.

As always, backup first then see if that resolves it.
    Quicken user since 1994.
  • Exactly the steps I went through and when the positions were shown in the account, the total of each of the securities was wrong by the same amount as before. There seems to be an amount hidden that keeps getting added to the total of what the lots should add up to.
    Can you isolate each lot by report? Suggest trying an Investment Transaction report for "All Dates" and then filter for that security only and see if you can spot it. Was this a straight multiple lot buy, and then sale of all shares? Or were there multiple buys/sells within the timeframe?
    Quicken user since 1994.
  • JR7107, I tried your suggestion and could find nothing that would explain the dollar difference. It doesn't seem to be the result of buy/sell transactions. In the case of both securities, about a dozen tax lots were bought over the last 18 months. When Quicken displays those tax lots, the Market Value total adds up to the sum of all of the tax lot Market Values. However, the Cost Basis total is greater than the sum of each of the tax lot basis. Out of 8 accounts and over 300 securities, there are only two securities where thus happens. Very curious.