Entering transactions manually in an investment account.

Entering income or withdrawals in an investment account when the transaction is saved it duplicates the entry in the ledger. I then have to delete all the duplicates. I hope there is a simple fix that I am overlooking. The problem takes a lot of extra time. Side note: "I manually enter all my data".

Answers

• GeoffGGeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 9
    Invest accounts typically consist of buys, sells, dividends and the like. If you are entering income and withdrawal, these would typically be transfers into and from this account. 
    Perhaps you can explain what you are seeing. 
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 1903
  • pep41pep41 Member
    I have an IRA account that is not linked to a checking account. When I enter a dividend in the investment account through "transaction entry" and hit enter/new or enter/done the transaction is duplicated in the ledger.

In other words there a two of every transaction I have entered.
  • SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you entering the transaction directly in the register or by using Enter Transactions?
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
  • pep41pep41 Member
    I'm using "Enter Transactions" because when I try to enter in the register it jumps to the "ET" screen. Let me preface by saying, a lot of my problems have started after windows 10 installed a new version on my computer.
  • Quicken SarahQuicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    Hi @pep41

Thank you for that additional information, although I apologize that you have not yet received a follow-up response.

After entering a new transaction, have you tried "refreshing" Quicken by going to a different register or tab and coming back to the investment account register or closing and re-opening Quicken?

If so, does the duplicated transaction still appear?  If so, and you haven't already, I would recommend running the Validate & Repair tool on the data file from the File menu > File Operations > Validate & Repair option.

In the Validate File window that opens, mark only the top box "Validate File" and click OK.  When the validation has completed a data log will open in a text editor such as Notepad, what does that log say?  Anything about corrected investment transactions?

When ready please close and re-open Quicken and enter another transaction, does the duplicate still appear?

Please let us know, thank you.

Sarah