Delete Holdings from "Online Center"

Windows Subscription Quicken. I noticed today "Tools"..."Online Center". When I looked at it there was no info for my Bank(s) or Credit Card(s). All to the good. However, my Investment accounts show my holdings. I don't want that (if possible)! So...
1) How do I delete holdings from the "Online Center" (Investment accounts)?
2) How do I prevent Quicken from sending holding info to the online center?

I realize that with the subscription software it may be impossible to keep investment holdings from uploading.
Thanks,
John

Best Answers

• markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited September 2019 Accepted Answer
    That screen is only a representation of what is shown in your account register. It does not represent what is held "online"; if you click the Compare to Portfolio button, it compares shares your FI is reporting that you hold versus what is indicated in Quicken.

To turn off online cloud functions, choose Do Not Use Mobile, also do not use investing.quicken.com or Online Billers.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    To delete holdings from the Online Center and prevent Quicken presenting the holding information on the Online Center, I suggest you deactivate the Online Services associated with the investment registers.

Note: The investment holdings is not uploaded unless you have chosen to upload the information to Investing.Quicken.com: select Edit > Preferences...

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    My understanding of the Holdings tab of the Online Center is that it shows information that has been sent FROM your Financial Institutions (FIs) TO  your Quicken desktop software when you download transactions. Quicken is not sending your holdings information anywhere else unless you have enabled other Quicken services as @marcus1957 describes.

If you prevent Quicken from communicating with your FIs you will have to enter all your transactions manually. To do this you would go to Account Details > Online Services for each account and click on Deactivate.

QWin Premier subscription
  • markus1957
    @Sherlock - said "Note: The investment holdings in the Online Center window is not uploaded unless you have chosen to upload the information to Investing.Quicken.com: select Edit > Preferences..."   This is not true, Online Center does not draw the information from this Preferences setting.  As @Jim_Harman & I stated, the Holdings tab in Online Center is derived from the OFX file downloaded from the FI.

@Phillyacct - If the Holdings disappeared, it is more likely you just didn't click the Holdings tab in Online Center for you investment FI or you deactivated your accounts and are entering everything manually.

Answers

• markus1957
    That screen is only a representation of what is shown in your account register. It does not represent what is held "online"; if you click the Compare to Portfolio button, it compares shares your FI is reporting that you hold versus what is indicated in Quicken.

To turn off online cloud functions, choose Do Not Use Mobile, also do not use investing.quicken.com or Online Billers.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    To delete holdings from the Online Center and prevent Quicken presenting the holding information on the Online Center, I suggest you deactivate the Online Services associated with the investment registers.

Note: The investment holdings is not uploaded unless you have chosen to upload the information to Investing.Quicken.com: select Edit > Preferences...

• Phillyacct
    Phillyacct Member ✭✭
    Perfect! Thanks a bunch!
    On the preference screen above I:
    1) Hit Clear All [my investment accts still show - but no check mark]
    2) Choose Symbols only
    When I went back to Online Center - all the Investment Info was gone. Great!

It may well be the case that I haven't really done anything, but I only like to see info where I want it. There's something about the word "online" that bothers me.
    Thanks again,
    John
  • Jim_Harman
    My understanding of the Holdings tab of the Online Center is that it shows information that has been sent FROM your Financial Institutions (FIs) TO  your Quicken desktop software when you download transactions. Quicken is not sending your holdings information anywhere else unless you have enabled other Quicken services as @marcus1957 describes.

If you prevent Quicken from communicating with your FIs you will have to enter all your transactions manually. To do this you would go to Account Details > Online Services for each account and click on Deactivate.

• Phillyacct
    Phillyacct Member ✭✭
    As long as Quicken is gathering info (in the cloud?) in the background (I don't see info attached to the word "online") I'm a little less uneasy (who know what Quicken is doing with the info, but at least I only see my registers).
    To the extent I'm still worrying, it's probably my mistake.
    Thanks again for taking the time to reply.
    John
  • markus1957
    @Sherlock - said "Note: The investment holdings in the Online Center window is not uploaded unless you have chosen to upload the information to Investing.Quicken.com: select Edit > Preferences..."   This is not true, Online Center does not draw the information from this Preferences setting.  As @Jim_Harman & I stated, the Holdings tab in Online Center is derived from the OFX file downloaded from the FI.

@Phillyacct - If the Holdings disappeared, it is more likely you just didn't click the Holdings tab in Online Center for you investment FI or you deactivated your accounts and are entering everything manually.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

@markus1957 -  No one has said the Online Center draws the information from this Preferences setting.  That is entirely your misinterpretation.  The preference setting does control whether the holding information for the accounts is uploaded to Investing.Quicken.com.  
  • Phillyacct
    Phillyacct Member ✭✭
    OK.. I think I've got it.
    1) Direct Connect is "better" than Express Web connect. My "FI"s use "DC"-good
    2) I had not clicked on the holdings tab - my holding ARE still there. (Boo hoo)
    3) Here I'm not clear: The only way to get rid of the "holdings" info on "Online Center" is to disconnect downloads...which I don't want to do.
    So it seems (which was my 1st guess) that I'll have to live with "holdings" info appearing in Online Center.
    Thanks everyone for such prompt, patient, and enlightening info!
    John
  • markus1957
    @Sherlock said- "That is entirely your misinterpretation."

I'd argue that your Note implied some relationship between the listings in Online Center and the investing.quicken.com listings selected for upload. 

It would seem based on the reply that the OP interpreted your note in that manner also. While you may "Dislike" my pointing it out, it remains a reasonable interpretation of the words you chose to use.  I was just trying to lend some clarity to the discussion for the benefit of the OP and future users who may stumble onto this post.
  • Phillyacct
    Phillyacct Member ✭✭
    I sorry... but I'd like to get this clear-
    The Preferences Screen - the investing.quicken.com portfolio tab
    1) Is there a connection to "Online Center" holdings tab?
    2) If so, do all investment accounts always appear? Default?
    3) If they don't "Always appear" is it possible to delete unwanted ones?
    NOTE: I'm not talking about Downloading transactions, only my options once I've set up downloads for Investment accounts. To clarify, all my accounts (all are set to download transactions) show up as options in "Online Center" [top right-Financial Institution] BUT only Investment accounts have "data" and the "investing.quicken.com portfolio" tab always shows my Investment FIs [checked or unchecked].
    So:
    1) If I turned off "downloading" for an Investment FI - would holdings disappear?
    2) If I then enabled "downloading" would I have the option to NOT allow holding info to appear in "Online Center".
    As I said in my opening post, my guess is that if you choose to 'download' transactions for an Investment FI, then you have also chosen for 'holdings' to appear in the "Online Center". I'm just trying to verify this guess.
    Sorry for being so long winded & repeating myself (an old fogie).
    Thanks again to all...
    John
  • Jim_Harman
    1. No. The Online Center shows information that has been or will be exchanged with your FIs in connection with transaction downloading. The holdings information is included with the downloaded transactions so that you can compare your holdings in the Quicken desktop software with those reported by the FIs and thus keep the accounts in sync. The Online Center is "online" only in the sense that it is showing data that has been downloaded from the FI.

Investing.quicken.com is an entirely different feature that lets you optionally send your holdings information to a Quicken server where you can log in and view it and do some addional analysis. You can disable this if you do not find it useful.

2. Data for any accounts that are currently enabled for downloading will always be shown in the Online Center. 

3. The only way for you to prevent an account's investing data from appearing in the Online Center would be for you to disable transaction downloading for that account. But there is no cause for a security concern about the Online Center. It is just displaying data that is already in your PC, not sending it anywhere else.

So:
    1: Yes, but I don't see how the fact that the holdings appear in the Online Center is a reason to turn off transaction downloading.

2. No, the downloaded info will always appear in the Online Center, but why are you concerned about this?

• markus1957
    There is no interaction at all between the Preferences list and the Online Center list. 

The Holdings listing in Online Center is derived from the One Step Update download from your FI. It is part of the information transmitted and there is no way to not show the holdings excepting not to download.

The purpose of the list in Online Center is to display the number of shares that your FI has on record for your account.  The Compare to Portfolio button near the upper right of the window will compare the Holdings shown in Quicken versus those recorded at your FI. If there is any discrepancy, a new window will show the difference and prompt you to figure it out.
  • Phillyacct
    Phillyacct Member ✭✭
    My only concern is that Quicken treats Bank & Credit Card Info differently that Investment Info (a 'bug' or a 'feature'???)... I like consistency... All accounts (Bank, CC, Investment) should be treated equally. Also the word "online" bugs me (I realize unnecessarily)!
    Really, you've been a great help answering my nitpicking questions.
    I hope anyone that follows this thread, will get a clear answer!
    Thanks again,
    John
  • Jim_Harman
    Bank and credit card accounts do not have holdings of securities, only cash balances. The online balances for these accounts are shown on the Transactions tab of the Online Center.
  • Jim_Harman
    The Online Center is often overlooked and can be a little confusing, but it can be very helpful for sorting out downloading problems.

I think it got its name because it was the central place you would go to initiate a download before One Step Update was introduced in Quicken 99.
This discussion has been closed.