Amex account is split in two

I have just returned from a month's vacation to find that my American Express credit card account is now two accounts. Actually, this happened the day before I left. My original account shows transactions from the beginning of the account through August 2 and it looks perfect, but I cannot update it. The new account, self-named as Credit Card xx4004, contains transactions going back to May17th, duplicating about 3 months of transactions. I have been able to update the new account with recent transactions. Does anyone how I can properly combine the two acconts.

Comments

• Greg_the_GeekGreg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    First, make a backup. Select ALL transactions in the new account. Right click on any one of them. Select "Move Transactions". Delete the old account.
    Quicken 2017 H&B - Windows 10
  • I have not accepted the transactions into the new account yet. Should I do that before following your suggestion? There are almost four months of transactions.

If I delete the old account, won't I lose years of data?
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Greg had a typo.  After selecting "Move Transactions" you should move them to the OLD account ... and then Delete the new.
    And, YES, accept the newly downloaded transactions 1st.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Greg_the_GeekGreg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wouldn't it be better to move all the old transactions to the new account since Online Services are now working for the new account? Also, the Opening Balance might need to be deleted from the new account.
    Quicken 2017 H&B - Windows 10
  • I followed the suggestions and had problems. Since all the transaction being moved had been reconciled, I had to accept every individual transaction as it was moved. Second, all transfers, i.e. bank payments, were zeroed. Fortunately, I backed up the file prior to starting this. Have I done something wrong or is there another way to solve my problems? Thanks, Bob
  • Delete my comment about the transfers. On closer inspection they appear correct. Sorry....
  • The solution to the split Amex accounts was straightforward. I restored the accounts to a point in time just prior to when the split occurred. Then I made sure I followed the recent Amex instructions for deactivating and reactivating the accounts.