Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Asset Class vs. Type... needs to be redefined!

tommystox
tommystox Member ✭✭
I've used Q for over 20 years, so my familiarity is far from superficial. I've had "frustrations" with Q over the years, but I want to offer a suggestion for improvement.

ASSET CLASS as defined in Q is very limited (Domestic Bonds, Large Cap Stocks, Small Cap Stocks, etc.). On the other hand, TYPE is something the user can "customize" to one's own needs/preferences... That is a GREAT feature (Please don't ever take it away). In fact, I've customized about 28 of the 32 possible TYPES/categories and it has significant potential. In my opinion, since ASSET CLASS is so limiting, it is more of a handicap than an asset. And since ASSET CLASS is so limiting, I'd love to be able to ignore it totally.

My investments are all setup with a customizable "TYPE"... If I could use my customized "TYPES" as a method of reporting, I'd have far greater use/need for Q. Currently, ASSET CLASS is worthless to me. Since Q has granted 32 "potentially customizable TYPES", how difficult would it be to revise Q so that a person would be able to NOT use ASSET CLASS, and thus use the 32 TYPES instead???

I'm directing my question to persons who are highly experienced in Q, because I foresee a response or reply from someone telling me that "...Quicken already has that feature!" Well, I beg to differ. YES, Quicken states multiple places, "...Sort/Categorize/Arrange/Report/etc. by TYPE." HOWEVER, the actual problem is it's really offering to use ASSET CLASS (i.e., the terribly inadequate CLASSES, [Domestic Bonds, Large Cap Stocks, Small Cap Stocks,etc.]). This is a serious fault with Q that I've endured for years. I'd greatly appreciate some form of reconciliation of this issue. I believe it would add significant improvement and make the product more appealing to "investment" oriented persons.

Just a brief addition... The 32 TYPES in the EDIT SECURITY DETAILS are great, but in my "dream world" the size of the "cell" which allows 15 characters would be increased somewhat, although I’ve learned to live with 15 characters. Here's how I use the 15 characters (e.g., E-Utility&Comm is my 15 characters to specify TYPE for E (equities) that are Utility&Comm (Utility & Communications). Some others are F-Treasury (Fixed-income Treasuries), O-Stk Options, E-HealthCare, (self explanatory) and PM-Coins/bars (Precious Metals). ...Q is a good product, but I'd like to see it become an even better one.

Thanks for your time and consideration.
 Tom (removed email address)

[edited for readability]

Comments

• jr7107
    jr7107 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    There are also "Investment Goals" to use. An expansion of the number of those I would support. I use those as a pseudo asset class type.
    Quicken user since 1994.
    Quicken Forum/Community Contributor since 2005.
  • tommystox
    tommystox Member ✭✭
    jr7107,
    Thanks for your comment. I'm not sure where/what Investment Goals is. I don't use Q as most people probably do. I only want the "data" to be structured/reported in such a manner that allows me to "evaluate" aspects of my investments (e.g., allocations to make adjustments, evaluate performance, etc.). Also, data can then be imported into Excel or elsewhere. I'm generally able to accomplish these goals, but I'd like Quicken to make my life easier so I don't have to work so hard getting to those end-results. Thanks and have a good day!
  • jr7107
    jr7107 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    I'm in the same category of not using Q the same way. No wizards, cash tracking focus and investment heavy focus. No budgets, no planners, none of it. Just add and subtract the accounts with as much auto-input as I can get.

Edit the security details and get to the investing goals list.

If you are doing that level of trading and investment then look for Trade Log or other more expensive tools. I have pushed the limits of Q for investments, but need additional help on the tax and performance front.

Quicken user since 1994.
  • tommystox
    tommystox Member ✭✭
    Great reply. I'll have to research that. BTW, where do I find the Investing Goals List??? (I'm using Q 2017 H&B) And likewise, those features that track your checking account, plan for retirement, etc., are nice, but very secondary fo me. What I value most is the ability to combine investment data from Fidelity, Vanguard, Wells Fargo Advisors, etc. Having those transactions downloaded and available for manipulation and evaluation, all in one place, is what lights my fire. Take Care (it's past my bedtime)!
  • jr7107
    jr7107 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    I take Q for what it is. Accurate math on cash and shares (and checks, credit cards etc.). For the rest, I just find another way. I understand what I have and make it work elsewhere. Tax for sure, performance yes for the most part. As long as Q gives me accurate accounting, I can do analysis somewhere else. It cannot do everything because a small percentage of users need it.
    Quicken user since 1994.
This discussion has been closed.