Home Quicken for Windows Budgeting and Planning Tools (Windows)

Budget doesn't automatically include income?

I created a budget and let Quicken automatically generate it. Why doesn't it automatically include income categories?

Quicken 2019 Premier R21.17

Thanks.

Best Answer

Answers

• Thanks, I ended up finding that as well. I see now that I need to do a lot of customizing to get what I need. I'm trying to budget cash flow, including debt payments. So that would mean including what Quicken considers transfers to credit card account.
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please note:
    In one of the latest Quicken 2019 patch releases, the Select Categories to Budget button has moved from the lower left of the Planning view to the upper right corner. A new button, Manage Budget Categories, is now available there.
    Alternatively, under the Budget Actions button, Select Categories to budget can still be found.
    Some documentation pages may still have to be updated.
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, I ended up finding that as well. I see now that I need to do a lot of customizing to get what I need. I'm trying to budget cash flow, including debt payments. So that would mean including what Quicken considers transfers to credit card account.
    If you want to track your credit card payments as if they were actual expenses, in Select Categories to budget select your credit card accounts under the "Transfers Out" group.
    Note that doing so will inflate the amount of your total expenses. You have already accounted for the actual expense when recording your credit card purchases to categories like Food, Clothing, etc. Now the amount of your credit card payment will add to this total, which may make it appear as if you had spent twice as much.

• > @UKR said:
    > (Quote)
    > If you want to track your credit card payments as if they were actual expenses, in Select Categories to budget select your credit card accounts under the "Transfers Out" group.
    > Note that doing so will inflate the amount of your total expenses. You have already accounted for the actual expense when recording your credit card purchases to categories like Food, Clothing, etc. Now the amount of your credit card payment will add to this total, which may make it appear as if you had spent twice as much.

Hmm, good point. The budget report doesn't really work as a cash flow tool, then.

I ran the cash flow report and it doesn't seem to really be suited for the job either, by default. I suppose I'd have to deselect credit card accounts and include transfers.
This discussion has been closed.