Fidelity NetBenefits - Error OL-295-A - might be VPN usage related

Answers

• havok423havok423 Member
    Still not working for 401k accounts.
  • For about a week getting OL-295 A error when I try to download transactions from Schwab checking account. Reviewed and tried the advice here: https://www.quicken.com/support/error-when-using-online-services-ol-297. Did not fix it.

Also reset the account (resetting), and deactivating and reactivating. When I tried reactivating I am getting the error "During the last online session, Quicken encountered an online error [OL-295-A]."

Started happening about a week ago. Tried multiple times over the last week, same issue. All other accounts downloading fine.

Windows 10 Pro version 1903 (OS Build 18362.356)
    Quicken 2019 Version R22.12 Build 27.1.22.12
    USA
    Internet connection = wireless.
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 27
    What financial institution name are your trying to connect your checking account to?
    I could be wrong, but I believe you need to use a different name, "Charles Schwab Bank, N.A." for that and not the name used for your brokerage accounts.
    For more information, have you searched this Community for related discussions?

If none of that helps and if you haven't done so already, I'd say it's time to call Quicken Support on the phone and request help.  Let them do a screen share session with you to review a download log file on your computer, to determine the nature of the problem and to figure out how to fix it.

Quicken Support:

• To contact Quicken Support, please use this link only:
      https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support  and select Chat or Phone support.
      Phone support is only available during posted business hours. The phone number can found at this website.
    • If you are eligible for Premium Support (purchased separately or included as part of your subscription to Quicken 2018/2019 Premier or HB&R) call the number that can be found at the top of your My Account page at https://www.quicken.com/my-account  (US) or https://www.quicken.com/canada/my-account (Canada) next to "Quicken Premium Support"  when you log in with your Quicken ID.
    • To start Chat, your browser must allow popup windows from https://www.quicken.com
    • Other links or phone numbers found elsewhere on the Internet, even in some posts or emails received from other Community members, may not be from Quicken or may not be up-to-date. Use those at your own risk.
    • Unlike other so-called "Quicken support providers", the real Quicken Support is free for all currently supported versions.

• jdxtrjdxtr Member ✭✭
    As of 4:00PM CDT Friday 9/27/2019, Fidelity says: "NetBenefits support is still working on resolving this issue."
  • ScatrScatr Member ✭✭
    Quicken Deluxe 2017 R19.7 Build 26.1.19.7

My last successful NetBenefits download was 9/6/19. I also contacted NetBenefits support via online chat about 4-5 days ago. They were unaware of a problem, and confirmed that I was set up to allow transaction downloads. I was resolved to wait and hope. I am happy now to see that Fidelity is acknowledging there is a problem. I also note that security prices are not downloading either, so it's not just transactions. I hope this gets resolved quickly. Does anyone have any suggestions about how to escalate the priority of this issue either with Quicken or with Fidelity?
  • lltxcjmlltxcjm Member
    R19.52, Build 27.1.19.52. Tried to reset one of the accounts this morning and still doing the same thing it did 2 weeks ago. Spins...and puts up a blank dialog box.
  • roschewsroschews Member
    Quicken MAC 2017 Version 4.8.4 (Build 48.20111.100)
    (I know this is a windows thread but the problem is the same) :/
    Downloads from NetBenefits stopped working a few weeks ago. First call to Fidelity they did not acknowledge the problem. Spent an hour on the phone with Quicken support (very thorough and knowledgable) but they couldn't solve it. Had me "disconnect" and "reconnect" ... even went so far as creating a NEW BLANK database with only that account ... no JOY. The errors attempting to connect are either HTTP 403 or just a plain "access denied"
  • jdxtrjdxtr Member ✭✭
    The best way to escalate the priority of getting this resolved is for everyone experiencing the problem to call Fidelity NetBenefits Customer Service every couple of days about it.
    401K still not working...
  • ScatrScatr Member ✭✭
    I just chatted with Fidelity and they are aware of the issue and investigating. I passed along the link to this thread. The rep stated he added my name to the list of people who are having issues.
  • PegasusT4PegasusT4 Member
    10/04/2019. Same here with Netbenefits. Win 10 Quicken Deluxe 2019 R22.12 can no longer download for past few weeks. Fidelity was unaware of problem 5 days ago. Hah! Tried removing online download and re-adding. Now I can't add Direct Connect.
  • ScatrScatr Member ✭✭
    So it seems we get different responses from Fidelity support as to whether they are aware of the issue or not. I have contacted them twice this week, once by chat and once by email. The more people who contact them regularly the better. They should at least tell us the status (issue acknowledged? issue root cause known? fix in progress? target date for resolution?)
  • ScatrScatr Member ✭✭
    Feedback from Fidelity 10-8-19 below. Not encouraging.

"While we have no information to indicate a specific problem yet that may require a fix, I have forwarded your feedback through the appropriate channels. Though I cannot confirm a time frame as to when the web service may be examined, I can assure you that these comments are reviewed regularly by both [employer name] and Fidelity.

Please keep in mind there are several variables that can affect connections to the website."
  • jroth84jroth84 Member
    Not working for me either. Wasted *WAY* too much time trying different remedies.

FWIW, I just had a firm conversation with a Fidelity rep -- very personable -- and I stressed to him that Fidelity needs to fix this, and to try and escalate the issue if he could.

Cheers.
  • pablo37pablo37 Member
    Windows 10
    Quicken Deluxe Subscription
    Version R22.12
    Build 27.1.22.12
    Fidelity Netbenefits not working as of 10/10 1:37 PM
    Last successful download on 9/6/2019.

Contacted Fidelity, offered manual download instructions, no acknowledgement of any issues on their end. Just found this thread, may try back with them again tomorrow with this thread as reference. Manual download not really helpful if quotes won't update either!
  • jdxtrjdxtr Member ✭✭
    Checked the status my 9/20/19 report to Fidelity on this problem and nothing has been done yet.
  • KevinkyKevinky Member ✭✭
    We need someone from Quicken support to weigh in on this issue.

Who can confirm if the issue is with Fidelity or Quicken?
    I did a search in the Quicken Community for just simply error 295 and I see that this same issue is happening with Schwab, Fidelity, Discover, and American Express. This seems unlikely that all those banks broke the connection. This feels more like an issue with Quicken software.
    I spoke tonight with Quicken support and explained that many banks all seem to have started having this 295 problem at same time yet the support person told me the resolution has to be with the bank and I need to contact them. I was told quicken has no access to their servers so Quicken can't resolve this. That also seems unlikely these sync services just didn't start working by accident in the first place the programmers at Quicken have to test accessing many banks and financial institutions. Looks like they are just passing the buck instead of taking ownership of the issue.
  • Same here: error OL295A with Schwab for many months now.
  • ScatrScatr Member ✭✭
    I myself was starting to think that Quicken Support may need to get involved and was planning to contact them. The fact that it's been happening with other financial institutions, and all at roughly the same time, does seem suspicious. As to Quicken Support pointing to the financial institutions, being a long-time Quicken user, this is not the first time I've encountered this error when downloading transactions. In all prior instances, it was something that had happened at the institution and not Quicken, and once the financial institution resolved it, all worked well. However, given that this appears to be widespread, and with major institutions rather than just my hometown bank, I think Quicken Support needs to engage to determine what the possible issue is. I would think they have relationships/technical contacts at these institutions and certainly enough technical insight to try to get this worked out. We can only watch and wait apparently.
    People need to start blowing this up on Twitter and making it a publicly known problem. I tend to agree that if many institutions are suddenly experiencing same thing that it was a change Quicken made to their now subscription software and they didn't communicate these changes down the line.

Also very strange that it is ONLY affecting NetBenefits though. Their normal investment and cash management services work just fine.
  • Greg_the_GeekGreg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    FWIW, it's not effecting all NetBenefits users. I have had no problem downloading so far. How do you explain that?
    Quicken 2017 H&B - Windows 10
  • ScatrScatr Member ✭✭
    Greg, that is very helpful. What is your Quicken build/version? I was wondering whether there were people with no issues. Now we need to find out what the differences are.
  • ScatrScatr Member ✭✭
    edited November 5
    I chatted with Quicken Support this morning and they logged my information and agreed this should be escalated. I will try to contact them on Monday (apparently it can't be done on a weekend.) Relevant portions of chat below:

AgentOct 12, 2019, 10:10am
    How can i assist you today?

MeOct 12, 2019, 10:13am
    There is a widespread, ongoing issue with downloading transactions from Fidelity. OL-295-A error is received. This has been happening since at least 9/6/19

AgentOct 12, 2019, 10:13am
    Okay

MeOct 12, 2019, 10:13am
    Here is a link to a quicken community thread on the issue:
    [removed self-referencing link]

AgentOct 12, 2019, 10:13am
    Due to the error that i see here and the steps that need to be done are this
    https://www.quicken.com/support/error-when-using-online-services-ol-297

MeOct 12, 2019, 10:16am
    I know that Quicken Support’s policy is to have the user contact the financial institution. However, multiple people have been trying that for over a month with no resolution in sight. We are in danger of losing transactions once it is resolved as the banks only download so much history. In addition, there are reports of the same issues happening for a long time with other major institutions such as Schwab and American Express. I think that Quicken Support needs to investigate and escalate this issue with the banks, or determine whether there is a Quicken software issue.

AgentOct 12, 2019, 10:17am
    Yes i understand and agree with you
    but to have the case escalated that can only be done on Monday due that the dept that we need to contact and have it escalated is on open on Monday to Friday

MeOct 12, 2019, 10:18am
    Surely you can escalate it now and they pick it up on Monday?

AgentOct 12, 2019, 10:19am
    That can not be done
    that is the reason am advising you
    is because we need to ask the dept what information they need
    to have a research and investigate details about the error to have an escalation made

MeOct 12, 2019, 10:21am
    So I would need to contact Quicken Support Monday to Friday in order to escalate this? If so, during what hours?

AgentOct 12, 2019, 10:22am
    yes it is open from Monday to Friday from 5 AM to 5 PM pst
    But before anything else can we try this please the steps that i will sent on the link
    https://www.quicken.com/support/error-when-using-online-services-ol-297

MeOct 12, 2019, 10:23am
    OK, let me look

AgentOct 12, 2019, 10:24am
    yes please thank you

MeOct 12, 2019, 10:26am
    Both items are correct in my settings: TLS 1.2 and accepting 1st and 3rd party cookies. So the settings do not appear to be the problem.

AgentOct 12, 2019, 10:27am
    Okay i see i was just double checking

MeOct 12, 2019, 10:27am
    OK Thanks I will contact support M-F

AgentOct 12, 2019, 10:28am
    You are more than welcome i have type the issue that you are having on the system that way when you call us on Monday the agent who answers will see the information

MeOct 12, 2019, 10:29am
    OK Thank you
  • Greg_the_GeekGreg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    It works on Quicken 2017 R19.7 and Quicken Subscription R22.12.
    Quicken 2017 H&B - Windows 10
  • ScatrScatr Member ✭✭
    Interesting. I also have Quicken (Deluxe) 2017 R19.7 (Build 26.1.19.7). : (
  • donkippdonkipp Member
    I encountered this issue with my Fidelity NetBenefits (401k) account beginning Sept 14. I was traveling and didn't have time to work the problem until this morning. I am running R22.12 build 27.1.22.12
    I was able to restore transaction download functionality with this procedure:
    Select "Edit Account Details" for the impacted account
    Select "Online Services" in the Account Details dialog box
    Select "Reset Account"
    At this point a new dialog box appeared with two buttons and a text display area but no visible text. This dialog box was completely unresponsive. I clicked both buttons and attempted to close the box to no effect.
    Lastly I killed Quicken in Task Manager and restarted Quicken.

Functionality restored.

Based on this experience and the proceeding comments, I would say the likelihood that this is a Fidelity/Financial Institution issue is near zero.
    If this procedure doesn't restore download functionality, I think the next step would be to disable online downloads from the impacted account and create a new account to catch the new transactions. Good luck.
  • falepikfalepik Member
    I was having this same issue since September 7th. I am running R19.7 26.1.19.7. I just did the same as above...edit account, reset account, got message account reset failed, clicked ok (had to end QW abnormally), restarted QW and was able to download transactions.