Recently upgraded to Windows 10 v 1903. How do I move Quicken files from OneDrive back to my hard dr

Read about the problems involving Quicken on OneDrive. Want to know how to move Quicken files back to hard drive permanently while leaving other non-financial files on OneDrive. I currently use flash drives for Quicken backup.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Accepted Answer
    Clarifying a bit because I just did this. OneDrive actually moves the location of the Documents file so it's not straight-forward to get Quicken out of OneDrive's influence.  Trying to move it back with OneDrive still installed causes some issues because an empty new Documents folder gets created to replace the one moved to OneDrive.

I created a new folder QuickenData under my User folder, 
    C:\Users\MyUserName\QuickenData, then moved my Quicken data file(s) from the OneDrive sub-folder to the new folder. Then as Splasher said, after the first open, Quicken will learn where its new home is. All files and folders associated with the data file will get created under the new folder; BACKUP & Validate folders as well as the .dat files.

I did create a directory junction under OneDrive to the new BACKUP folder so those files get backed up to the OneDrive cloud without interfering with Quicken when it runs.

Since OneDrive is almost a default install in Win 10 now, Quicken should provide some guidance on how to work around this or better yet, maybe by default create its data folder outside of the Documents directory structure in Windows.

Answers

• thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @""Barry Pritchard" ,

You can't move files back. You can delete all Quicken Files from One Drive.

See this procedure to reinstall Quicken:  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7844658/installing-reinstalling-windows-quicken-subscription-editions

See this FAQ:  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7307115/add-your-quicken-information-to-your-posts-plus-how-you-are-connected-to-the-internet

You need to disclose the Build for Windows 10, not the version.
    thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R34.24  USA & Quicken 2017 HBRP R20.6 USA
                       Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 21390.2025
                       Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit Build 22000.100
    also            Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19043.1110

View: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7859218/work-with-copies-of-your-actual-quicken-data-files/p1?new=1

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    With Quicken closed, move the files from the OneDrive area to the normal locatiion for the Quicken data file in the Quicken folder under Documents and then double-click on the moved file to start Quicken and open that file, thus resetting where Quicken knows the file is located for the Recent File list.  Then, the next time you start Quicken via the program icon, it will open the correct file.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Accepted Answer
    Clarifying a bit because I just did this. OneDrive actually moves the location of the Documents file so it's not straight-forward to get Quicken out of OneDrive's influence.  Trying to move it back with OneDrive still installed causes some issues because an empty new Documents folder gets created to replace the one moved to OneDrive.

I created a new folder QuickenData under my User folder, 
    C:\Users\MyUserName\QuickenData, then moved my Quicken data file(s) from the OneDrive sub-folder to the new folder. Then as Splasher said, after the first open, Quicken will learn where its new home is. All files and folders associated with the data file will get created under the new folder; BACKUP & Validate folders as well as the .dat files.

I did create a directory junction under OneDrive to the new BACKUP folder so those files get backed up to the OneDrive cloud without interfering with Quicken when it runs.

Since OneDrive is almost a default install in Win 10 now, Quicken should provide some guidance on how to work around this or better yet, maybe by default create its data folder outside of the Documents directory structure in Windows.
  • Thanks for the suggestions. I now have my Quicken files on my hard drive only (not on OneDrive). Followed markus' suggestion to set up a folder outside of OneDrive's influence - used MyUserName\OS(C:)\Quicken and then moved all Quicken material off OneDrive to the new folder. Then used Splasher's suggestion to open Quicken and let it find the new location.
This discussion has been closed.