Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Quicken Validation has changed....

Snowman
Snowman Member ✭✭✭✭
Quicken 2019 R21.17.  Ever since I can remember with you validated a Quicken data file the process once started ran and gave a report when it was finished.  That has changed.

Now when I verify a file it looks like Quicken exits, then restarts resulting in the process being paused.  (see attached screen shots)

Then when I click Skip I get this:

This is annoying to say the least.  When I click the "x" to close the verify process then finishes and creates the report.  Does anyone else see this and is this now normal?

Answers

• jr7107
    jr7107 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    I went to the File Operations and took a look because I had just completed a validation. This is the screen that appeared and I could see the historical log as well.
    There was no validation required.
    Quicken user since 1994.
    Quicken Forum/Community Contributor since 2005.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Snowman, you are correct. When you run validate with Quicken Subscription, it now closes the file and then reopens during the validation process. Quicken 2017 does not do this.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Snowman
    Snowman Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    @jr7107:  "This is the screen that appeared and I could see the historical log as well.
    There was no validation required."   First the Validate and Repair log only shows the past, it DOES NOT tell you that the file may or may not need to be validated.  You can only "know" that if you validate the file.

What I was talking about was when you select "Validate File" on the "Validate and Repair Your Quicken File" (which looks like partial screen shot you posted but half of it is missing) and then press OK what happens then. 

I as a matter of routine validate my file twice a month as I open and close my file 60+ times in the average week.

Over the past 12+ years I have been doing this not a month goes by without have to fix something whether a stock price(s) now show that it was bought in the future, or a transfer that need to be checked etc.  This happens because it is a program on a computer and things beyond anybody's control happens be it a power spike, the database does not close properly and so on.  By validating the date file once every two weeks and backing up DAILY after each use I have been able to head off problems before the stack up and become BIG PROBLEMS.
  • Snowman
    Snowman Member ✭✭✭✭

This just recently started happening to me.  It did not happen in any earlier version of Q2019 or Q2018.  My question is was this a "planned" feature or an "oops".  If it is a planned feature why did they change it and it would have been nice if they could at least have written it so that one did not have to click the two screens I showed in my original post as they have nothing to do with the validation process.  It just adds more useless clicks the user has to make when it was not required before.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    edited September 2019
    I asked a Mod if they could look into this further. I'll let you know. Also, you have OSU set to run when you start Quicken.
  • Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator mod
    Hi @Snowman

Thank you for taking the time to report this behavior to the Community.

May I ask, do you have the preference to "Download transactions when Quicken starts" selected?  (Edit > Preferences > Startup)

If so, please uncheck the option and perform another validation - does the prompt to run One Step Update still appear mid-validation?

Please let us know, thank you.

Sarah
  • Greg_the_Geek
    @Quicken Sarah, FWIW, I tested this on Quicken 2017 with "Download transactions when Quicken starts" selected and you're not prompted for the vault password. It seems that in the current release of Quicken Subscription, during the validation process the data file is closed and reopened again triggering the OSU. This does not happen in 2017.
  • Snowman
    Snowman Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Quicken Sarah.  I looked at Edit >Preferences > Startup and the option that you suggested was not there. 
    I then looked at the one-step update screen and there was an option "Prompt to update on startup" and I cleared that.

Now if I validate the two screens no longer appear BUT now when the One Step Update Screen has changed to ....

The option the have update on startup is gone.  I do not really mind I just want to make sure that this is a designed new behavior and not something wacky happening.  However if I go to "Scheduled Updates" there is still an option there to do this "At Windows Startup". 

If the intent of the programmers was to depreciate the "RUN OSU" feature at startup they missed a spot.

Hope this helps.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Snowman said:
    @Quicken Sarah.  I looked at Edit >Preferences > Startup and the option that you suggested was not there. 

That set of preferences is Setup, not Startup.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Snowman said:

The option the have update on startup is gone.  I do not really mind I just want to make sure that this is a designed new behavior and not something wacky happening.  However if I go to "Scheduled Updates" there is still an option there to do this "At Windows Startup". 

If the intent of the programmers was to depreciate the "RUN OSU" feature at startup they missed a spot.

Hope this helps.
    Can you kindly clarify when you refer to "they missed a spot"? This is intended for Schedule Updates and is working perfectly as designed and do not want to see this removed/changed. This has nothing to do with opening Quicken to run OSU.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 20H2
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    It's a bug for the Validate scenario.... 
    I'm running QWin R21.17 - but not the Vault -
    Sequence observed...closes file, validation progress, open file + stock splits + pricing
    For your OSU issue - you need to look at the STARTUP vs the SETUP choices,
    and this screen popped up when I UN-checked the prompt on the bottom of the OSU.

Quicken 2020 Deluxe - Subscription - Windows 10
  • Snowman
    Snowman Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Rocket J Squirrel, my bad I have been having to wear an old pair of glasses until I pick mine up tomorrow.
  • Snowman
    Snowman Member ✭✭✭✭
    @GeoffG Still does not answer my questions.  1) is this a new intended action.  2) if intended why not write it so that the OSU does not come up even if OSU is set to run at startup, certainly that can not be hard to do.