Quicken 2019 Subscription Slow To Load

I am running win 7 32 bit Professional. I have had Quicken since about 2000. I have never had a problem until about two months ago. I am running Build 27.1.21.17. Version R21.17. It takes about two minutes for the program to load. I have already used verify and repair. I have checked how many transactions I have. I also made a copy and shortened the time period that has to load to two years. I have already tried some of the fixes suggested by other users. I even called support and talked on the phone for an hour and a half with a supervisor. I have a 256 video card and I am using two 500 MB solid state hard drives. As another user said, I can click on the start button, the red banner comes up, the screen goes to white and sits there for over 2 minutes and I can go get a cup of coffee and do a few other chores waiting for this program to load. Please don't suggest changing to win 10. Since it has become a subscription, I am thinking of finding something else. I am not wanting to pay about $45 a year for a program that loads so slowly. Anyone with any new suggestions?
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Alixz
    Alixz Member ✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Greg_the_Geek - I finally got to run in safe mode and I found that it is a hardware problem as you and Rocket J Squirrel thought. Right around the time this problem began, we were pinged by a hacker. It was an enormous hit and took out our TV cable box and my husband's laptop. I use a desk top with triple deep surge protection and my machine was turned off when we were hit. But many of our Belkin protectors (4320 joules) were damaged and we have only now begun to replace them. At that time, coincidentally, we also changed from wired to wireless connectivity. Yesterday with the help of our ITech son, we ran a lot of tests and one of them was the Safe Mode. It is the WiFi connection that is bottle necking. So we have found the problem and I now have a solution. The huge ping not only took out the TV cable box but, as we feared, the router and modem, while still running, are not at 100%. We were sort of due for a new router and the modem is also not new. Our cable company keeps telling me to upgrade but I usually ignore them because I believe if it ain't broke don't fix it. I see no need to buy the "next best thing" just because it is now for sale. Well now it appears it is broke and it is time to upgrade.
    Thanks again to everyone who took the time to reply to my question.

Answers

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the full path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file? Have you tried starting your computer in Safe Mode and then running Quicken to see if another program is causing the slowness?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Alixz
    Alixz Member ✭✭
    c:\..............installation files\quicken save file I didn't put the name of my computer that's what the ...... are for. But that is the path. I didn't try running in safe mode but the Quicken Supervisor had me create and empty test file. That worked - sort of - but the full file just won't load in less than 2 minutes. I have tried deleting security and other protections but nothing works. I checked for memory and I checked for background programs running.
  • Alixz
    Alixz Member ✭✭
    Also, I just updated to the current R22.12 29.1.22.12 and it didn't change anything. The update went in perfectly but when I restated Quicken, it still took about 2 minutes to load.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alixz said:
    Anyone with any new suggestions?
    I’m convinced the slowness is somehow hardware-related. I have 2 nearly identical Win7 machines, and Q is fast on one and slow on the other.

I’ve resorted to hacks on the slow machine. I run Q with ABOVENORMAL process priority and I force it to use the Nvidia GPU instead of the on-board Intel processor even though Q isn’t a 3D program. Subjectively, these hacks seem to make Q a little faster.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • Alixz
    Alixz Member ✭✭
    Thanks. I tried the ABOVENORMAL process priority. I have too look into the GPU issue. What I don't understand is that after it finally loads, everything else runs smoothly. Q updates and bank downloads are actually faster since I did the maintenance with verify and repair and shortening the number of transactions to load. I see a lot of people complaining and I certainly spent an hour and a half on the phone with a Quicken supervisor but even he had no real solution.
    I take all the suggestions I can get.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    You were asked for "What is the full path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file?" and your response was "c:\..............installation files\quicken"
    The Quicken data file is, due to Windows security requirements, not allowed to be in the same folder as program execution files.
    If the Quicken data file really is in the folder you specified, please move it to the recommended (and default) place for Quicken data files:
    C:\Users\_your_username_\Documents\Quicken.
    Are you using MS OneDrive, Dropbox or any other cloud backup software AND are you allowing this backup software to access the active Quicken data file while Quicken is running? This could be the cause of your slowness and could also lead to data file corruption. Configure your cloud backup software to NOT access the active Quicken data file. Instead, let it process the Manual Backup file created by Quicken when you close Quicken.
  • Alixz
    Alixz Member ✭✭
    Thanks again, however I tried moving it to the default and that didn't help either. I am not using Cloud or MS OneDrive or Dropbox. I am not backing it up on line at all. This is a conundrum. I have had this configuration for years and years and the slow load suddenly began about 8 weeks ago. Not even the supervisor at Quicken could give me an answer. If it used to work why does it not work now?
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Again, try Safe Mode with Networking.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Assuming that you have sufficient RAM available in your computer and, at the time you start Quicken, your C:-drive is not running 100% busy due to paging or other workload ...

Let's try some "Troubleshooting 101" to ensure the Quicken software is installed and updated properly and that your data file is in good working order.
    Please perform all the steps in this document:
    Troubleshooting 101 - Fixing Software Installation and Data File Problems

• Alixz
    Alixz Member ✭✭
    UKR - I noted above that I had already tried all of the Troubleshooting 101 steps. I have 32 gigs of RAM. My start ups are managed and nothing is running that shouldn't be. But thank you for your help.
  • Alixz
    Alixz Member ✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Greg_the_Geek - I finally got to run in safe mode and I found that it is a hardware problem as you and Rocket J Squirrel thought. Right around the time this problem began, we were pinged by a hacker. It was an enormous hit and took out our TV cable box and my husband's laptop. I use a desk top with triple deep surge protection and my machine was turned off when we were hit. But many of our Belkin protectors (4320 joules) were damaged and we have only now begun to replace them. At that time, coincidentally, we also changed from wired to wireless connectivity. Yesterday with the help of our ITech son, we ran a lot of tests and one of them was the Safe Mode. It is the WiFi connection that is bottle necking. So we have found the problem and I now have a solution. The huge ping not only took out the TV cable box but, as we feared, the router and modem, while still running, are not at 100%. We were sort of due for a new router and the modem is also not new. Our cable company keeps telling me to upgrade but I usually ignore them because I believe if it ain't broke don't fix it. I see no need to buy the "next best thing" just because it is now for sale. Well now it appears it is broke and it is time to upgrade.
    Thanks again to everyone who took the time to reply to my question.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    What was it, the "Ping of Death"? I've never heard of anything like that before and I've been servicing computers since 1974.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it "fried" equipment external to your computers, I'd call that a power surge, probably caused by a nearby lightning strike. Did you have thunderstorms in the area at the time of the event?
    Either way, I'm glad to hear that you figured out the problem and were able to solve it.
    It's been my experience that communication problems similar to yours, where Quicken is waiting for a network response that never arrives, can be caused in computers where both Ethernet and WiFi are active AND Ethernet currently has connectivity problems. Totally unplugging the Ethernet cable to the router and sending only via WiFi might have circumvented the issue.
  • Alixz
    Alixz Member ✭✭
    Thanks to everyone. I have heard of the "Ping of Death" but there is no way to know if that was. It did act like a big surge. We know that but again, I don't remember a big lightning strike anywhere in our area that day.
    Thank you again for all of your help.
    You can close this inquiry.
  • Alixz
    Alixz Member ✭✭
    Sorry but I'm back again. New modem, new router and all new cables. Everything has been updated. However, I am now getting Apphang B1 when trying to load Quicken. I have tried everything to find out what is causing the bottleneck. Any solutions?
  • Alixz
    Alixz Member ✭✭
    I get this every time I try to open quicken. The Quickenpatch.exe tries to run and bottlenecks. Quicken takes a long time to load. I unchecked the auto update but it doesn't help.
  • Alixz
    Alixz Member ✭✭
    Also, after all the new stuff and Apphang B1 - I get the following: Could not parse the URL%updatepath&wyserver.wysIt either malformed or its a unknown protocol
  • Alixz
    Alixz Member ✭✭
    Greg - Since it is quickenPatch.exe that is causing the bottle neck, I can't download the solution you gave me. According to "check for updates: I have the latest version anyway. Is there any way to disable the quickenPatch.exe so it won't run on Quicken start?
  • Greg_the_Geek
    I have to be honest with you. I'm totally confused about your situation and don't know what to tell you. Without having first hand access to you computer, I'm at a loss. And what is Apphang B1?
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    follow the instructions @Greg_the_Geek gave you about the patch error.
    If the error message is about a file named "wyserver.wys", the problem is the Windows User Account name. If your Windows User files are located in a folder named, for example,
    "C:\Users\John Doe\..." (with a blank space between John and Doe)
    you need to create a new Windows User Account with Admin privileges and a name that does not contain a blank space, e.g., "John". Use the new account to install or update Quicken. Afterwards return to using your regular Windows User Account for running Quicken and doing all other work, as usual.

• Alixz
    Alixz Member ✭✭
    The AppHangB1 error usually causes the computer to become unresponsive or extremely slow. It is also possible for users to receive this error message when they try to open applications like Adobe, Microsoft Edge, etc.
    Quicken support has a thread devoted to this, but I have done everything they suggest.
  • Alixz
    Alixz Member ✭✭
    The thread: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7628593/automatic-program-updates-prevent-quicken-from-opening.
    Everyone there is asking what I asked. Is there a way to disable the auto update. I also deleted the "hell" out of it as one poster said but it just keeps coming back.
  • Alixz
    Alixz Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    UKR - My Windows User Account name is fine and does not contain any spaces. I created a separate user name with admin rights anyway to test the theory and Quicken did not open any faster in that account than in any other. I am still stuck with the programming trying to update an failing causing a lag. I also removed all instances of the quickenPatch.exe in all locations on my computer as well as ripped out any instances of it in the registry editor. My son disassembled the Quicken.exe file in hopes to remove the command that is activated when Quicken is opened to start the quickenPatch.exe process. As of right now, Quicken still remains lagging when I open my spreadsheet. What else could possibly be bottle necking the boot process. This seems a bit of a mystery.
    We need to stop the quickenPatch.exe from running every time I boot up Quicken. The only time it boots fast is in Safe Mode when the network drivers are disabled. The moment I boot Windows with the network drivers active, Quicken lags for over one minute during boot.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    I would suggest using QCleanUI to remove Quicken, download a new copy of the installation program from quicken.com and reinstalling/updating. You can't stop quickenPatch.exe from running, you can only cancel the update using the Windows UAC to notify you.
  • Alixz
    Alixz Member ✭✭
    Thanks again. Yesterday, I tried that. I removed Quicken and downloaded a new copy of the installation program. No good. In the other thread, posters said cancelling the updates does not indeed stop the quickenPatch.exe from running. It only allows you to cancel the update. But the exe running is what is the problem. If I try to shut down while the "white screen" (what i get while the lag is occuring) is showing, the message is always, "Do you want to shut down before the update is complete." But there IS NO UPDATE. I am completely up to date. Also, I am completely at a loss.
    Again, this only began when I updated to 2019. Before that Quicken was very fast.
  • Alixz
    Alixz Member ✭✭
    From the vantage point of, if it was installed in the program it can be uninstalled, there has to be a way to take out the update exe. We even tried naming it anything else, but it is so ingrained in the Quicken program that it is hard to find all the hidden places. What difference does it make to Quicken if it auto updates or I do it manually? If you Google this problem, I am not the only one to have it and not the only one to want it gone.
This discussion has been closed.