Bill Reminders skipping months - still not fixed after R22.xx & R23.xx

Lisa BynumLisa Bynum Member ✭✭
edited November 6 in Paying Bills (Windows)
I updated Quicken and now have R22.12. I moved all the October bill reminders that had skipped to November back to the correct October dates. I closed Quicken. Opened it back up and most of the bills stayed but several jumped ahead to December and January 2020. So, it's still broken.

Best Answers

Answers

• StargateStargate Member
    I have most of my bill reminders set up to print checks. While processing the bill reminders currently due, after I enter the transaction and print the check corresponding to the reminder, a new bill reminder is created for the ones I just printed rather than for the next month. I have reported this problem to Quicken multiple times but the bug still remains.
  • miklkmiklk SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Long standing bug they need to fix.
    PS: Also ALWAYS happens to me with a Send reminder for online payment.
  • Was this ever resolved? I have tried updates and searching for answers for hours on end. I keep having to reset my bills as every time I make a payment, the next month gets scheduled in to 2020. Why do they keep messing with this software? So frustrating.
  • ps56kps56k SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    As you report this kind of problem - please add what version you are running -
    I'm on QWin R21.17 - and not sure if I've seen this problem as yet...
    though I have to re-enter a couple of Reminders as they appeared to have "skipped".
    Quicken 2019 Deluxe - Subscription - Windows 10
  • SystemSystem Member ✭✭✭
    This discussion was created from comments split from: Problem with Bill and Income Reminders.
  • This problem continues and today, all of my resetting to the correct dates is gone -- meaning all my dates are pushed out again to 2020. So frustrating. Version 2019. R21.17. 27.1.21.17. I'm ready to check this software. Anyone have a solution? Thanks!
  • I am extraordinarily frustrated with this Quicken problem. I have written directly for Help with no response being received back. This problem begin in the spring and continues today. I running 2019 and Build R21.17 (27.2.21.17).

In short, my scheduled monthly bills keep shifting from current to March 2020. I have repeatedly edited the bill series to bring it back to the current month but only to return and have all the dates shift forward. This problem is annoying and frankly almost cost me a significant non-payment penalty (this is exactly why I will not shift away from paper bills).

I have searched high and low including reviewing many discussions in the Community and general Google searches seeking answers.

I have already tried:

1) Validating and repairing the file.
    2) Upgraded to the most current build
    3) Manually edited the bill series to return them to the proper month and due dates.
    4) Sent this problem along with copies of the files to Quicken (no response -- so much for standing behind my long term subscription).
    5) Scanned any topic remotely similar in the community boards.

My preference is to resolve this problem but its getting to the point where I may seek an alternative software.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

John
  • RichRich Member ✭✭
    This is the second or third time that I've updated Quicken (currently R22.12) and the due dates of a number of upcoming bills were changed from November 2019 to April 2020. It requires that I go to the "Income and Bill Reminder" page and change the dates. Why does this happen?
    edited September 24
    try re-boot Windows
  • Lisa BynumLisa Bynum Member ✭✭
    Yes, I did that before I posted my comments. The 2nd set I fixed (after the reboot of Windows and restart of Quicken) seem to still be showing the correct dates I'll have to wait until it's time to pay some of the October bills and see if they skip months again.
  • RichRich Member ✭✭
    I posted the same problem in a different thread. Certain bills - not all - were changed from their November dates to next April. Next time it happens - and there will undoubtedly be a next time - I'll see if there's some commonality, i.e., the recurring due date changed to six months.
  • ScooterlamScooterlam SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 25
    Hi.

As a reminder, if you are editing your recurring bill reminders to correct for a skipped one, use the "Edit this instance and all future instances" option.  This "resets" your entire recurring bill reminder schedule.  

If you mistakenly use "Edit this instance" (easy to do - I have done in the past), you ONLY adjust the current bill reminder.  This could give an impression of a skipped reminder, as it brings forward only that reminder that you are editing (not the series of reminders).  So it leaves a "gap" in your payment schedule.

I'm not saying that there wasn't (or still is) a software issue, just sayin' that how a person corrects the bill reminder may continue to see a schedule skip!

So...to show how this is possible....

1.  Setup a test manual, recurring monthly, bill reminder.
    2.  Set the test reminder date to 11.01 to simulate a skipped reminder that should have displayed on 10.01
    3.  Save and verify that the test reminder is scheduled for 11.01 in the "manage manual bills and income" table.
    4.  Now, you realize a "skipped reminder" and you select the 110.01 test reminder to correct it by using "edit this instance" and resetting the date to 10.01.
    5.  In stack view or whatever view you use to pay bills from Bills and Income, either "pay" or "ignore" this test reminder now due on 10.01.  Once paid....
    6.  Go back to "manage manual bills and income" table and you will see that the test reminder's next due date is 12.01.  This would appear that the 11.01 reminder is skipped to 12.01

So....what happens if you just "edit this instance" you are in effect pulling that 11.01 bill forward to 10.01 to pay it.  Then later, you realize there is no longer an 11.01 bill and the next schedule instance is 12.01, concluding the bill reminder was skipped.

For me, when editing bill reminders (monthly, quarterly et al.) I always use "Edit this instance and all future instances" to preserve the schedule.

• RichRich Member ✭✭
    edited September 26
    Thanks, but when I corrected the skipped reminders I did edit "this and all future instances," not just the single instance. This is a program bug related to updates - due dates only convert to future instances after a software update.
  • redhed701redhed701 Member
    I have been having the same problem ever since I upgraded to the 2019 subscription version months ago. Now running v22.12. October reminders appear in Bill & Income Reminders window; I enter the transactions and send the payments by updating the account. Next time I open Quicken, the October and November reminders appear in the Reminders window. (I don't know why Nov 1 payments are being reminded on Sep 30 when they are set up to remind 10 days in advance.) I have paid several bills twice until I realized there was a bug. Very annoying, especially since the subscription is expensive and I should always have the most current version running.
  • SystemSystem Member ✭✭✭
    This discussion was created from comments split from: Reminder window does not automatically update.
    edited September 29
    Just noticed some anomolies - maybe old - maybe new - 
    I'm now on R22.12 from R21.17
    When looking at the "Bill and Income Reminders" screen,
    I get 2 different impressions as to what is upcoming, paid, etc -
    The "All Bills and Deposits" is missing some transaction line items... Received + Paid
    The "Monthly Bills and Deposits" have those missing line items...
    Compare these 2 screen grabs... looking for upcoming or whatever for October.
    AND - some of these, of course, were showing up in November or December or ..
    SO.. looking at the "All Bills..." screen,
    I didn't know if some items were - .
    - Due, Upcoming or Paid, Received, OR ---> MISSING because skipped to Nov or Dec

• CharlieWCharlieW Member
    Reminders does not do as set to recur. They advance as they wish... updating to the R22.12 version has made it worse. Now every bill advances 7 months, instead of 1 month!
  • Roger MRoger M Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 29
    Here is what I am seeing:
    In the Bills and Income tab, I normally use the Stack view. My bills are in the correct order, and everything looks fine. Then, if I change to the Calendar view, and then change back to the Stack view, I noticed that some of the bill due dates have changed, and they are not in the correct order.
    Changing between views does not correct the problem.
    If I close Quicken, and then reopen it, all the bills are correct.
    At least on my end, this looks like a bug in the way the bills are presented in different views.
    I'm using Quicken Windows 27.1.22.12
    Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription **** Windows 10 Home *** Quicken user since 1996
  • dbdb Member ✭✭
    Quicken updated to version R22.12. I noticed that my Chase credit reminder was missing from my upcoming bills reminder list. I also noticed my September entry was not in my register. I tried to add back the reminder but Quicken said it was already there. I also noticed my Citi credit card reminder was missing from the upcoming bills reminder list.
    Has anyone else seen this and is there a solution?
  • klsutklsut Member
    I was reading the thread about this situation and Quicken said the was an update coming out. I have received the update but the issue still is recurring. I just would like to know how to get them deleted.
  • klsutklsut Member
    TMac when I attempt to ignore or delete the reminder it doesn't really do it then it show up past due. I don't rely solely on the reminders, it is just irritating to see them in red all of the time.

MusicMan44 maybe if I just get rid of the bills ? :D
  • TMacTMac Member ✭✭
    When you "ignore" the overdue reminder in the billing & income reminder window, does the due date change? You may have to "ignore" the reminder multiple times to remove it from overdue status.

For example - you have an overdue monthly bill that displays as due 7/30/19. Hitting ignore just once will only update the due date to 8/30/19, which is still overdue. Ignoring 2nd time updates to 9/30/19, still overdue... You'd have to ignore 3 times to update to 10/30/19 due date and out of overdue status.
    Quicken user since 1991 - Premier Subscription, Windows 7
  • TMacTMac Member ✭✭
    A more efficient way to accomplish this - If you have a reminder that has multiple overdue instances, you'll see a drop down menu for the Ignore button on that reminder. Choose the option to "ignore all overdue reminders for this payee". That should move the reminder out of overdue status in just one click.
  • pmrussell892pmrussell892 Member ✭✭
    don't rely on the reminders... Bahahaha.. Okay... I thought that was what they were put their for. Maybe make the software work as intended?
  • klsutklsut Member
    TMac I have done all that you are saying to do. Nothing seems to help. Thank for your suggestions tho.
  • TMacTMac Member ✭✭
    So the reminder due date doesn't change when you hit the ignore button? Exactly which screen are you using when you attempt to ignore the overdue reminder? The "bill & income reminders" window I'm referencing can be reached multiple ways:
    - <ctrl> + J
    - Tools > Manage Bill & Income Reminders in drop down menus
    - Manage Bill & Income Reminders in icon bar (with $ and bell figures)
  • klsutklsut Member
    No the reminder due doesn't change, just the red ink goes away until I go out of Quicken and come back in. There are more than one past due of the same bill. I even deleted the whole reminder for that one bill and the past due reminders never went away. The other account won't even let me delete the reminder.
  • TMacTMac Member ✭✭
    If you've not already done so, have you tried doing the above on the "all bills & deposits" tab of the Manage Bill & Income Reminders window?

It's odd the due date won't change after ignore and/or overdue reminders remain after the reminder has been deleted. Most current bill reminder issues involve failure to properly update due dates, but have not seen much about failure of the ignore function. Stranger things have been happening as you may have read in other bill reminder posts. It's possible you have some software or data corruption.

There's a process that can help resolve/repair corruption issues. It takes a little time & effort, but at least eliminates software/data corruption as a possible cause if there are no other apparent solutions. I'll posy back here if I see other posts of similar issues and resolutions. I'll leave it up to you if you want to undertake it - see below.

Troubleshooting 101 - Fixing Software Installation and Data File Problems - https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7851545/faq-troubleshooting-101-installation-and-data-file-problems-quicken-for-windows
  • klsutklsut Member
    TMac thank you for the info, I will go to that link and see if that will work. Thanks again for your help. Oh just a little more on those reminders, the amounts that I pay now have changed and these reminders are from old payments amounts so that is why it is so frustrating also. :/