Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Deleting Backup files on flash drive

JordanAbba
JordanAbba Member ✭✭
After I back up my Quicken files I always delete the last backup on the flash drive. A few days ago I right clicked on the old file and I got the spinning circle. After a few days I figured the flash drive must be corrupted. Tried another flash drive and had the same problem. What is going on?

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    How are you trying to delete those old backup files?  Using Windows? or from within Q?
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    When I backup to my flash drive it overwrites the backup file on it.  So I don't have to delete any old ones.  I have several flash drives I rotate.  
  • JordanAbba
    JordanAbba Member ✭✭
    I date them so they have different names. I am going to stop doing that, but the right click, to serve any function, just causes the "spin." It's quite the mystery to me.

I am using 2016. I suspect Quicken put in some kind of bug to make me upgrade.
  • JordanAbba
    JordanAbba Member ✭✭
    NotACPA: I try to delete the files from the flash drive's window. I suppose that is Windows and not the Q.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Using multiple backup files with a date stamp as part of the file name is the recommended method, even if you rotate through several USB sticks.
    What if the most recent backup is bad, for whatever the reason? If you have multiple backup files you can fall back to older backup files until you find one that does not have the problem you are trying to solve.
    IMHO, it's a good idea to keep 1 or 2 months' worth of backup files.
    As far as Windows Explorer "hanging" when trying to delete files from the USB device:
    While "hanging" trying to delete files ... is there a popup window asking to confirm the deletion? This window should normally pop up on top of the Explorer window. But if it doesn't, try to Alt-Tab through the open windows to find it.
    Are you using 2 or more monitors? If so, is the delete confirmation popup coming up on the other monitor?
    Does the USB stick have a physical Write-protect switch on the side? A little switch you can slide ON or OFF? Make sure it's not in the protected (locked) position.
    If you haven't done so yet, I'd reboot Windows.
    Before trying to delete files or do anything with Quicken, unplug the device, wait a minute, then plug it into a different USB port and let Windows re-discover the device.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Backups - depends on which area you are backing up - and how often...
    /BACKUP/ - for the auto-backups, I have several and they are date & time stamped.
    (there is one as the top example in the attached screen shot)
    /BACKUP-USB/ - for the manual backups, I have the "date" checkbox turned on,
    and backup several, and keep a lot... you never know -
    As far as deleting - within Windows,
    you should be able navigate to the USB drive, and the specific file -
    - highlight it - right click - pop-up menu - click Delete -
    EDIT - also updated Topic Title to better reflect current Q&A

Quicken 2020 Deluxe - Subscription - Windows 10
  • JordanAbba
    JordanAbba Member ✭✭
    > @ps56k said:
    > Backups - depends on which area you are backing up - and how often.../BACKUP/ - for the auto-backups, I have several and they are date & time stamped.
    > (there is one as the top example in the attached screen shot)/BACKUP-USB/ - for the manual backups, I have the "date" checkbox turned on,
    > and backup several, and keep a lot... you never know -
    > As far as deleting - within Windows,
    > you should be able navigate to the USB drive, and the specific file -
    > - highlight it - right click - pop-up menu - click Delete -
    > EDIT - also updated Topic Title to better reflect current Q&A
    >
    > (Image)

I get this window with all the backups. I highlight and right click and then the spinning circle. Different ports, different flash drives. Must be a Quicken thing.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Why would Q care if you're trying to delete a file that it doesn't have open. 
    Answer: It doesn't.
    This is entirely a Windows issue. 
    And what "Flash Drive Window" are you referencing?  Do you get to it thru Window's File Explorer?
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    JordanAbba said:
    I get this window with all the backups. I highlight and right click and then the spinning circle. ....
    How exactly are you getting to the window of displayed files ?
    - Are you still in Quicken - with what commands
    - Are you outside of Quicken - and just using Windows file explorer
    And since you never see the pop-up menu for "delete" - well....
    Here are 2 file windows - one from Quicken with the "Q" in the upper left,
    and one from just Windows - with the normal path name in the top area
    Which do you see ???

• JordanAbba
    JordanAbba Member ✭✭
    I'll concede that it's a Windows issue, but it only happens when I right click a Quicken file. I can't break it down further.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    You still haven't confirmed HOW exactly
    you are getting to the list of files on the flash drive ?
    There might be subtle issues with exactly what and how you are getting to this problem.  Since we are not looking at your screen, you have to walk us thru how you get there -
    What happens if you just save a file on the flash drive - like with Notepad - and then go and Delete it ?
    OR - if you highlight a file, and then instead of the Right-Click - just hit the DEL key ?

This discussion has been closed.