Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

R22.12 broke paycheck function - still broke after R29.xx ?

Comments

• MathemAddicts
    MathemAddicts Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    (Removed-Off-Topic/No selling)
  • craigneal
    craigneal Member ✭✭
    Still not working. I spent 1 hour on the phone with Quicken support on two different occasions. They cannot find a solution. They said they hoped to address on the next update. This is frustrating as this worked fine for over 10 years.
  • Stacey
    Stacey Member ✭✭
    My paychecks are set up in quicken and I need to modify several historical transactions for a change. When I open the split window all the categories are gone, empty paycheck. There's another topic with same name (Paycheck split values are gone) but I can't ask for status update there because: "This discussion has been closed." Why are discussions closed when the problem hasn't been fixed?

I'm opening it again. If you want all the details search "Paycheck split values are gone".

Quicken, when are you going to address this?

Thanks,
    Stacey
  • jcurry1
    jcurry1 Member
    Quicken will not add to the total any new lines for additional earnings in the salary section of the paycheck. It will total the lines that existed when I created the paycheck form but it will not add any new lines. I can just manually add the amount to the main salary line but I would prefer to be able to show the "source" of the additional salary. I have opportunities for over-time and additional pay and I want to document that. When does Quicken plan to fix this?
  • "When does Quicken plan to fix this?"

The answer to your question is likely no time soon. They have not admitted on their "Known Issues" that this is an issue despite it being one of the primary functions of the software.
  • NateE
    NateE Member ✭✭
    This is still and issue for me. I am using the latest version (subscription) version for Windows (R23.18). The only workaround I have found was not to sync my checking account to mobile/web.
  • System
    System Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
  • NateE
    NateE Member ✭✭
    I am having this issue too on the latest version for Windows.
  • Michael Jones
    Michael Jones Member, Windows Beta Beta
    edited January 2020
    Okay, so it didn't happen for a few weeks and then all of a sudden for the last couple of week's it's started happening again.  I haven't been able to trace it down on mine to what's making it happen, as I'm not adding or removing lines from my paycheck.  Just changing numbers.  It's possible that having gone from an amount to a $0 amount and then back to an amount is what's triggering it, since some of the rest of you seem to be seeing it when you actually add or remove lines themselves.....  but I'm not certain.

Here is what I'm seeing.  I enter my paychecks (sometimes I do this in advance for the month, sometimes I don't).  At some point a week or 2 later I notice my balances seem off for my 401(k) (which is a transfer from my paycheck).  So I investigate.  The 401(k) account, and my other transfer to my flex spending account, show 2 sets of transactions.  1 set has been orphaned (i.e. selecting Go To Transfer says there is no transaction associated with the entry anymore).  The second set if I select Go To Transfer takes me to the correct entry in my check register, but on the screen that shows all of lines in the paycheck everything is blank. 

But if I run a tax schedule report, everything shows up as I would expect it too.  So clearly something is a) causing Quicken to delete and rebuild the transaction in a way that orphans transfers b) leaves everything actually there but for some reason un-hooked to the paycheck detail popup. 

If someone from Quicken wants to reach out, please do so.  I have created a sanitized copy of my data file with at least 2 transactions that are borked in it to help track down what's going on.

-  Updated about an hour later

So I did a little more research and found several more transactions that were messed up.  It does look like it happened in mid-November when I no longer had to pay one of the withholding taxes for the rest of the year.  I just made it $0 instead of removing the line and I did that every week vs changing my paycheck set up itself....  so I'd enter the paycheck using the wizard and before posting it I'd just $0 that line out, which Quicken seems to be treated like the same delete a line some of you are seeing.

Also, try this and see what happens.  When I try to copy a good paycheck and paste it to use, Quicken appears to actually be cutting instead of copying....  let me know if that's only me...  
  • NateE
    NateE Member ✭✭
    @"Michael Jones" Have you tried turning off syncing to Web/Mobile? Its the only work around I have found.
  • Michael Jones
    no.  If you think that fixes it though, I'll gladly give it a try.  Unfortunately, I'm now at a place where my paycheck is not going to change again for many months, so this probably won't manifest itself again for me in the near term. 

• NateE
    NateE Member ✭✭
    It worked for me but I don't think its a real solution. I hope they fix this issue.
  • GeoDosch
    GeoDosch Windows Beta Beta
    I'm still experiencing this problem, but have just found another problem relating to paychecks. I can confirm the new problem began occurring in February 2019, which may be about the time this problem with the deductions started as well. I created a topic for that here: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7866950/paycheck-posting-0-entries-in-401-k-account-for-employee-match/p1?new=1
  • Andreacarlwilson
    Andreacarlwilson Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Mine cannot even add. I
  • MarkIT
    MarkIT Member ✭✭
    Subscription 2020, R23.21 Build 27.1.23.21 NEW PROBLEM - possibly related to new build/install?... my paycheck splits for the last month are gone. They're still there earlier than the end of November paychecks. The transaction *totals* for the paycheck transactions are correct, still, but when I open them up, there are no dollar amounts, just the categories and $0. Again, I don't know if it's related to the update, but this is the first I have (ever) seen of this problem.
  • System
    System Member ✭✭✭✭
    This discussion was created from comments split from: Having trouble with one-step update (updated title).
  • Jim32
    Jim32 Member ✭✭
    @Michael Jones Turning off the web/mobile sync is the only thing that worked for me as well. Someone guessed that it is related to not have the 401k marked as a cloud sync account, so when the Checking Account syncs (with the paycheck) it loses the transfer. I didn't test it because I have now rebuilt 2.5 years of transfers for 2 people and have done this 2x now.

BTW - Mine had nothing to do with my paycheck changing. Even if it was the same, eventually the transfers will go missing. So, my guess is that you will see this problem even if your paycheck doesn't change - but hoping it stays!!

@MarkIT This has been an issue for years now. The paycheck is there with the correct total, but if you look at the splits, all categories are blank. If you click on the paycheck and do CNTRL + SHIFT + S, then the amounts in the categories come up in a different window. Again, another work around that has been in place for years without Quicken ever really fixing, unfortunately.
  • Jim32
    Jim32 Member ✭✭
    @Michael Jones The cutting vs copying is not only you. This has been around forever. Here's what I do to get around it. Copy a good paycheck. Paste, change the date, and save immediately (even if the amounts are wrong). This should keep both the old and new in tact. Then go into the new one and change the amounts. If you try to change the amounts while you're doing the initial copy/paste, then it somehow cuts the original.

You may not even want to change the date on the first copy/paste. Just save and have 2 entries for the old date. Once you have 2 entries in tact, then change the 2nd entry.

Hope this helps.
  • qmoco
    qmoco Member ✭✭
    I am having the same problem as others for many months. When I open a saved paycheck and try to edit one line, it removes several other lines as soon as you tab out of the cell. Does anyone know if this problem has been acknowledged by Quicken since there are so many complaints about it? Is there a fix coming? Thanks
  • I'm pasting some of what Michael Jones said because it is exactly what I am experiencing:

I enter my paychecks (sometimes I do this in advance for the month, sometimes I don't). At some point a week or 2 later I notice my balances seem off for my 401(k) (which is a transfer from my paycheck). So I investigate. The 401(k) account, and my other transfer to my flex spending account, show 2 sets of transactions. 1 set has been orphaned (i.e. selecting Go To Transfer says there is no transaction associated with the entry anymore). The second set if I select Go To Transfer takes me to the correct entry in my check register, but on the screen that shows all of lines in the paycheck everything is blank.

But if I run a tax schedule report, everything shows up as I would expect it too. So clearly something is a) causing Quicken to delete and rebuild the transaction in a way that orphans transfers b) leaves everything actually there but for some reason un-hooked to the paycheck detail popup.

It does look like it happened in mid-November when I no longer had to pay one of the withholding taxes for the rest of the year. I just made it $0 instead of removing the line and I did that every week vs changing my paycheck set up itself.... so I'd enter the paycheck using the wizard and before posting it I'd just $0 that line out, which Quicken seems to be treated like the same delete a line some of you are seeing.

I have been using Quicken since 1996. There's been some quirky things in the past, but they have always been pretty easy to deal with. This one, however, has me actively seeking a Quicken alternative (and I NEVER thought I would be saying that!).
  • Michael Jones
    @Jim I haven't seen what you note.  Not that it's not related at the same, but since I've gone back to a steady-state paycheck I haven't seen this issue again so far this year.  I ONLY saw it last year when I started changing paychecks in October due to withholding differences.  I also have all those accounts turned on for mobile app and web synch, so at least for me, that's not the issue itself (having them on).  Now maybe if I turned them off it would fix it, but I'm no longer in a place where I'm experiencing the issue at the moment.  I don't remember when I turned them on now, as I used to avoid the web and app like the plague.  

I do still have that sanitized data file with all the borked transactions though if @Quicken_Tyka wants to reach out for a copy of it.  It's a large file (I have almost 20 years' worth of data in it!).  But clearly this part has only been introduced in the last year or so, as I didn't have this issue at the same time last year.

The copy/paste thing I'll take your word for it!  Annoying as hell for sure!  Seems like something they outta be able to fix.
  • geoffj
    geoffj Member ✭✭
    I know this has been a previous topic, but has been closed with no resolution.
    I am on the latest version of Quicken Premier.
    I have paychecks that when I hover over them show the split values, but when I open them are blank so I can't edit them. They were fine when created but some update has corrupted them. Validating and super validating file does not repair them.
    This issue has been reported for years, and I have not seen any solution for it. Is there one?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suggest you edit the paycheck transaction as a split: select the transaction and press Ctrl + Shift + S
  • geoffj
    geoffj Member ✭✭
    Thanks - that at least allows me to fix the split data which is helpful.
    The paycheck is still blank when I open it after fixing the split so there is still obviously a Quicken bug.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    geoffj said:
    Thanks - that at least allows me to fix the split data which is helpful.
    The paycheck is still blank when I open it after fixing the split so there is still obviously a Quicken bug.
    You may want to consider recreating the paycheck reminder.
  • geoffj
    geoffj Member ✭✭
    The error has occurred in paychecks in the past that were fine before and when entered. Something is corrupting them.
    I may try recreating the paycheck to maybe prevent future occurrences of this.
  • ameat
    ameat Member ✭✭
    This is an issue for me as well. I am not 100% sure but it seems to have coincided with an update I installed recently. I just entered two new paychecks using the same long-existing reminders and those look fine, but older ones are all blank. Ctrl+Shift+S shows the correct values, though.
  • Q
    Q Member ✭✭
    Having this issue as well. Really frustrating. Delete an entry in the salary section, the after tax deductions total is miscalculated. I have to completely re-enter the paycheck. Worked for YEARS with no issues.
  • Scott Lindner
    Scott Lindner Member ✭✭
    This bug has been in Quicken for Windows for a long time but I have already found a work around. This morning I hit a new situation and it took me a while so I figured it's time to report this.

When entering a paycheck from a scheduled paycheck reminder using the fully itemized paystub entry form, if you alter the number of items higher in the list (e.g. such as removing an scheduled earnings entry) then the items lower on the list (e.g. removing an after tax deduction) will still be displayed but will not actually be computed as part of the total at the bottom.

I have this problem with every paycheck for at least a year now, but this morning the situation was different and I had to get more creative. It seems that if you change the number of items that the items lower on the list are simply displayed but not part of the total computation. This caused me a problem because my deposit amount was off by $30 even though everything was right on the entry form. Only the very last one was for $30. I changed the number and that didn't change the total deposit. I removed the entry and added it back and then it worked.
  • Chris Anania
    Chris Anania Mac Beta Beta
    I have 2 paychecks setup for my wife and I. These have been setup for years. In the last six months I have noticed an odd behavior. Transfer accounts like 401k will receive duplicate entries and then when I look at the paycheck transaction they are coming from the amounts are all $0. I have to delete the entries and record them again. This does not happen all the time, but when it does happen, it will continue to happen for every paycheck thereafter until I resolve.