Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

R22.12 broke paycheck function - still broke after R29.xx ?

Comments

• maxcbrdriver
    maxcbrdriver Member ✭✭
    Just upgraded from Quicken 2017 and with my first paycheck entry I'm greeted with the inability to delete rows in the Paycheck feature. Like many here, I've been a Quicken user for over 20 years and this is unacceptable. The fact that the issues seems to have existed to some for years is mind boggling. I don't ask for Quicken to be revolutionary in its features, only that it be stable and robust.

In my specific case, I maintain a saved Paycheck that contains a number of rows that are only used once a month/quarter or so, e.g. commuter benefit, and delete the rows in final entry since I have no need to see lots of $0 entries in reports. The behavior I'm seeing seems mixed, possibly dependent on what row is being deleted. Sometimes a whole bunch of rows get deleted together, other times it's just one row. In any case, what was fine last week is broken this week. I wish I could go back to my old 2017 version now...

I'm on Year 2020; Version R25.21; Build 27.1.25.21
  • Just upgraded to 2020 Premier Windows and the Payroll Math is incorrect. It's amazing such a basic functionality doesn't work. I was on 2018 prior and everything was ok. Hmmm.
  • maxcbrdriver
    maxcbrdriver Member ✭✭
    > @Sherlock said:
    > I suggest you edit the paycheck transaction as a split: select the transaction and press Ctrl + Shift + S

Thank you! This allowed me to delete my $0 rows without resulting in additional deletions. Suitable workaround for me.
  • Michael Jones
    Michael Jones Member, Windows Beta Beta
    As of early May, this is still randomly happening.  I've turned off synch for the account in question and it still appears to happen on occasion and in runs.  I had to redo several paychecks in March recently, but everything before and after that has appeared to stay okay.
  • John Keating
    John Keating Member ✭✭
    11/19/19 I posted regarding the paycheck issue. Well done Quicken. You're exactly at the SAME spot. If you were an employee you'd have been fired for making the same mistake repeatedly. What is 100%$ certain is there will be another option by some other company to replace Quicken. when enough p[people get exhausted with the excuses and lack of progress.
  • James101
    James101 Member ✭✭
    I also have this issue. I am currently stuck on Quicken R21.17, and I am unable to safely upgrade to R22.12, which was definitely the first version that broke paychecks for me. As others have noted, attempting to delete line items on my paycheck causes all pandemonium to break loose. I do not trust paycheck handling in R22.12 or newer, as obviously Quicken has lost the ability to do basic paycheck arithmetic in these newer versions.

Fortunately I had a backup of my data file from before the upgrade. So I downgraded Quicken back to R21.17 by uninstalling and reinstalling the product. I have since refused every automatic upgrade since then. My experience proved that the issue was introduced in R22.12. This isn't surprising, as the release notes for R22.12 at https://www.quicken.com/support/subscription-release-quicken-windows-release-notes state: "Fixed: An issue in which users reaching the Paycheck line item limit were unable to make room for new line items by deleting old line items."

It would seem that in the process of "fixing" this one problem, they have created many more.

I also tried deleting my existing recurring paycheck, and setting up a new paycheck from scratch. The problem persisted even with a brand-new paycheck. The feature is simply now complete borked.

I am not sure what the purpose of renewing a Quicken subscription is, if I'm unable to safely take advantage of it due to major product regressions like this one. I will not risk upgrading until I read in the release notes of a patch that the issue has been fixed, or that users here report that it's been fixed. So far, I see neither, and it's not worth my time to faff around with backing up, upgrading to the latest version, testing to see if it's fixed, finding out that it's not, then uninstalling and reinstalling to old version, and restoring data.

Quicken, it's been several months now since this product regression was introduced. Please fix it - regressions should be high priority bugs!
  • Keddie
    Keddie Member ✭✭
    This is beyond insane. This issue has been around forever and is one of the most basic functions of Quicken. I don't care about cloud sync I don't care about 99% of the new functions I simply want to track my friggin paycheck. All of my values after doing a one step update in some cases all go to 0.00 and corrupt the file. I can reproduce this 100% of the time without incident. I have 260+ versions of this backed up to microsoft cloud drive and I can replicate this 100 out of 100 times.

If I open the file and validate the file boom everything is good.
    Paycheck information is there no problem.
    Do One step update and download transactions.
    Go to paycheck and all values are 0.00
    Go to validate and it says I have a bunch of stuff broken because values exist in accounts which are 0.00 in the paycheck.

I have opened multiple tickets on this and support simply takes my logs and never does anything with it.

Typically what I've done in the past to fix is copy an old paycheck and paste it into the register with a different date and then delete the wrong data. However this process is insanely tedious and I have to modify the values every time as my paychecks can be slightly different. However, today I tried a different method. I went into the 0.00 paycheck and tried line by line to re-add the data. When re-creating it tells me "The total number of items has reached the limit. No more item can be added." I'm wondering if this has to do with the consistent corruption of paycheck transactions. I also noticed in doing this the flex spending accounts I use are not listed in the dropdown and are asking me to create new ones. I have a feeling it is related to one or both of these issues I'm seeing.
  • Keddie
    Keddie Member ✭✭
    Unbelievable the ticket I opened on 5/7/2020 was marked as closed with 0 response from support. All they did was tell me to call back in. Give me a break.
  • mikevirgil
    mikevirgil Member ✭✭
    Quicken Support - PLEASE prioritize fixing this basic function above all other app features in development. A personal finance software that totally screws up paychecks is embarrassing.
  • Keddie
    Keddie Member ✭✭
    What I don't understand is how or why the answer to anything is "Your file is too big and has data corruption". How about we answer the question why is the data getting damaged in the first place? There are databases out there which are TB large which read and write data literally all day everyday yet Quicken a personal finance software can't simply track a paycheck. Computers have used I/O checks to files for years and unless an external entity is modifying the file they don't change by themselves.
  • Mark Fertig
    Mark Fertig Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Keddie,

Try disabling cloud sync for the account you are tracking your paycheck in and see if that helps. This fixed it for me, on newly entered paychecks only. I haven't gone back and tried to fix the others yet.
    Quicken user since 1994.
  • evildog
    evildog Member ✭✭
    I have cloud sync disable and have never had it enabled and the paycheck function is still broken. It is not possible at this point to add or remove lines to the deduction and tax areas without completely borking the whole thing.

When you delete some lines it will remove lines from other sections, when you add lines it won't sum them in the proper section, and when you edit some lines it will change the value in other lines.

You can try this yourself by trying to create a new paycheck. Try to add a new paycheck and recreate your existing one. I guarantee you will not be able to get it to the same state.
  • Keddie
    Keddie Member ✭✭
    OH MY LORD are you kidding me. I spent 2 hours on the phone with level 2/3 support yesterday showing my exact issue and even made a video of the problem I am seeing. As a result they asked me to submit a sanitized version of my Quicken data file along with the video. I of course did this but now I have an absolutely massive problem. Now that I submitted this when I perform a one step update my file gets re-written with the "DICT" stuff which is done as part of the sanitation process. I've restored a backup and did this 3 times and every time I update it jacks up my ENTIRE FILE. Are you serious Quicken.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Keddie said:
    OH MY LORD are you kidding me. I spent 2 hours on the phone with level 2/3 support yesterday showing my exact issue and even made a video of the problem I am seeing. As a result they asked me to submit a sanitized version of my Quicken data file along with the video. I of course did this but now I have an absolutely massive problem. Now that I submitted this when I perform a one step update my file gets re-written with the "DICT" stuff which is done as part of the sanitation process. I've restored a backup and did this 3 times and every time I update it jacks up my ENTIRE FILE. Are you serious Quicken.

Are you syncing your data file to the Quicken cloud account?
    If so I suggest turning that off.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Keddie
    Keddie Member ✭✭
    Sadly yes Cloud sync is off and I've now spent 6 hours on the phone with Quicken Support and they have no idea. They are now sending me to the developers as the solution is to create a new file and manually import every single account into it. Which is a major problem because many of mine transfer money between accounts quite frequently which causes the import process to break.
  • JoRhett
    JoRhett Member ✭✭
    I just lost 6 hours rebuilding paychecks. I've had to do this ^^ reload so many times now I can do it in my sleep.

It's been over a year since I sent them extensively detailed analysis and even identified the exact corruption cloud sync causes in the files. They know what's wrong... Quicken just doesn't care.

Bye bye.
  • 23-yrQuickUser
    23-yrQuickUser Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I though this had only caused problems on my paychecks. Unfortunately, I just realized that it has corrupted my wife's as well. Five in 2020, five in 2019, and four in 2018. I never even thought to look at her paychecks, because they are so simple.

This is so incredibly frustrating.
  • NateE
    NateE Member ✭✭
    Just bumping this thread. I am afraid to turn on syncing to mobile/web.
  • Keddie
    Keddie Member ✭✭
    Multiple emails and submitted video's and datafiles. Absolutely 0 response back from Quicken support. Simply put DO NOT use quicken cloud sync if you have any type of complexity to your data file.
  • churchid
    churchid Member ✭✭
    I don't much appreciate having my comments removed as a rant. Clearly there are problems with the paycheck system. Would be nice to see an acknowledgement of that from Quicken. Mine mysteriously started working again after some months of being completely wonky and my repeatedly needing to double and triple check that paychecks actually recorded correctly. I'm glad it's working again. It's not clear it's because of anything that Quicken fixed, and doesn't give a great deal of confidence in the correctness of the software.
  • NateE
    NateE Member ✭✭
    So, it might be fixed? I have been reading the release notes and haven’t seen anything that seems related. I may take a good backup and try to sync.
  • Keddie
    Keddie Member ✭✭
    No it's not fixed don't do it. I created a separate account and file specific to test this and it still is very much broken.
  • house.rosenthal
    house.rosenthal Member ✭✭
    edited October 2020
    I updated to the 29.20 version when the last update was pushed out. I have now run into a second major problem. All of my paycheck splits have been removed. All I see is net pay. I have to go back in and manually re-enter all of my paycheck information. [removed-rant/violation of community guidelines]
  • Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator mod
    Hello All,

Our Development Team has been working to resolve this behavior and included a solution in the R29 releases that should have fixed the split lines being deleting after editing a paycheck reminder.

If you are still experiencing this issue after installing the latest release (Mondo Patch available for download here), please reply here and let us know.

Please also go to the Help menu in Quicken and select "Report a Problem".  In the subject line, please enter "CTP-536", select the box for each file listed and when ready click Send to Quicken.

Thank you,

Sarah
  • Michael Rosen
    Michael Rosen Member ✭✭✭
    I followed a duplicate transfer from another account and found that one of the transfers didn't have a matching transaction.  The other took me to a paycheck that was empty.  The deposit amount is there in my register, though.  Why does this keep happening?

Thanks.

Quicken Premier 2020 R29.22 Build 27.1.29.22
    Windows 10 Home V2004 Build 19041.572
  • NateE
    NateE Member ✭✭
    So, still broke?
  • Michael Waite
    Michael Waite Member ✭✭
    I have my paychecks set up and scheduled. I notice some of the transactions didn't have a category this week. I edit the split and it's empty. I hover over the paycheck category and the correct list pops up. I try to edit the paycheck and put in all the information and get an error that I've reached the limit for the number of entries. This just started with the 29.22 update. Is anyone else having this problem?
  • Michael Waite
    Michael Waite Member ✭✭
    I was able to recover from the problem I was seeing where there was a limit to the number of lines in the paycheck. I uninstalled and re-installed the latest version. Then I recovered from the last back-up before the upgrade. Then I entered all the missing transactions.
  • RichMD
    RichMD Member ✭✭✭
    @QuickenSarah, I occasionally check updates and happened to notice that you listed that "Alerts and ongoing issues" as a place for the known problems.  If the paycheck split-transaction issue is only a problem for a tiny fraction of the user base, then I would at least understand why there never seems to be any progress/updates on it.  However, I've never heard that and I others were extremely unhappy about it.  I stopped using Quicken because I would get frustrated by the issue and my "perception" that it is being ignored.  I keep hoping to see some kind of at least recognition about the issue.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Moderator mod
    Hello @RichMD

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report that you are still experiencing this issue. I have moved your post to the ongoing thread for this topic.

This is still ongoing and being investigated, our development is working with customers experiencing this issue to further isolate the problem. 

I do not have an ETA to offer, unfortunately. However, this issue is actively being worked on.

If you have not done so already, please go to the Help menu in Quicken and select "Report a Problem".  In the subject line, please enter "CTP-536", select the box for each file listed, and when ready click Send to Quicken.

Thank you for your patience throughout this issue.

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~