Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

R22.12 broke paycheck function - still broke after R29.xx ?

Comments

• NateE
    NateE Member ✭✭
    @RichMD The only known “work around” is to not sync the account to mobile/web.
  • Keddie
    Keddie Member ✭✭
    What is even crazier is once it's "Broken" the accounts even starting from scratch are corrupted. You can create a brand new file with 0 entries and it will have issues.
  • TheBruce
    TheBruce Member ✭✭
    edited December 2020
    I too have struggled with this issue for months. Zero help from quicken. Deleting and re-entering does not work. But this helps: (1) if the transaction in question still shows the "splits" when you hover over it, Press "Shift-Ctrl-C". This allows you to edit the categories and you can fill in the missing accounts. The missing accounts for me are my 401(k) [investment] accounts. (2) You have to go to the other accounts and get rid of what are now double entries. (3) Copy the file to another file name (so you have a backup) and rerun "Validate" on this file.

This process is still a pain in the %#$, but it is less time consuming than others. Use a category report so you can delete multiple transactions at once.

Hope this helps others.

I 've been a Quicken user since the 1980's [DOS Version], and Quicken has evolved from a real time-saving to a time waster [I'm currently on the subscription services, so theoretically I have the latest and greatest]. [Removed-Soliciting] 
  • jbray1234
    jbray1234 Member ✭✭
    I've been having this same issue on and off for more than a year, with paycheck splits vanishing almost every time there is an upgrade installed. It has normally been just a dozen or so of the most recent paychecks that get corrupted, but I just discovered that all paychecks back 4 years have now been hit. The 401k transfers are gone, so my account balance there is an absolutely ridiculous negative number.

I spend hours on the phone with quicken a year ago pointing this issue out to them and still no patch. Instead it's gotten even worse.

I'm on version R30.21, build 27.1.30.21 on windows 10.
  • jbray1234
    jbray1234 Member ✭✭
    edited January 13
    By the way, just found another post indicating that Quicken is actively working on a fix. That was nearly a year ago and still not fixed, but hopefully some progress is being made.

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7872816/paycheck-splits-are-removed-cleared-when-syncing-with-cloud-and-includes-401k-line-item/p1

[Edited to Activate Hyperlink]
  • SteveY
    SteveY Unconfirmed, Member
    > @jbray1234 said:
    > I've been having this same issue on and off for more than a year, with paycheck splits vanishing almost every time there is an upgrade installed. It has normally been just a dozen or so of the most recent paychecks that get corrupted, but I just discovered that all paychecks back 4 years have now been hit. The 401k transfers are gone, so my account balance there is an absolutely ridiculous negative number.
    >
    > I spend hours on the phone with quicken a year ago pointing this issue out to them and still no patch. Instead it's gotten even worse.
    >
    > I'm on version R30.21, build 27.1.30.21 on windows 10.

Got hit with this again, and also one deposit was duplicated (amount in register doesn't match the split for one of the two). Verification didn't flag that transaction at all, but shows several paycheck deposits into retirement/HSA accounts "damaged" and suggests recreating them.

"Sync to Quicken Cloud" is still off in One Step Update settings, so it seems like the problem now applies to everyone after the recent updates. I did just note that even with that off, if I look at the list of "manage accounts to sync"list had them all selected, so I unselected those just now...hopefully that will block it from happening. Not great if that still syncs even if syncing is turned off.

I have been using Quicken for 20+ years. Super disappointed that with the subscription there are recurring data integrity problems.

If it's been a known problem since early 2020, perhaps either concentrate on fixing it, or turn off the syncing so you don't damage people's data?
  • James101
    James101 Member ✭✭
    As mentioned in a previous comment, the R22.12 update broke paychecks for me, and I had to go through a cumbersome process of uninstalling Quicken, and then installing the older R21.17 version along with restoring to an older pre-upgrade Quicken data file backup. This happened in Oct 2019. I've been on the old R21.17 version ever since.

Unfortunately, this old version has been showing other new problems recently, such as a silent failure to download quotes for only some stock symbols (took me awhile to notice that one).

So I bit the bullet and tried upgrading to the latest Quicken version, which is now R31.20. Amazingly..... I could edit my paychecks again without everything getting messed up. I tested deleting line items from my paycheck, and editing existing ones. It only deleted exactly what I wanted to, and Quicken seemed to have regained basic arithmetic skills when summing the remaining line items. It's been a year and a half since I tried upgrading last, but as I recall, I didn't get nearly this far before.

I also used the "Ctrl+Shift" shortcut and clicked the "Split" button to examine the underlying split transaction. I compared one created with the old version with one created by the latest version. Both line items on the paycheck screen had been identical (i.e. I deleted the same things). They were identical apart from the dollar values being slightly different for some line items, as expected.

Also, the stock quotes started updating correctly again.

I'm still on Windows 7, and I can report that the R31.20 starts and runs ok, even though it's not officially supported. (I have a new Windows 10 laptop on order, but it's backordered until July... AMD parts shortages... that's another story)

So anyone else in my boat who was avoiding R22.12 or later might want to do a data backup, and then give the latest version a try.
  • NateE
    NateE Member ✭✭
    @James101 Are you synching your data to the cloud? I have been afraid to turn that back on.
  • James101
    James101 Member ✭✭
    @NateE No, I do not sync my data to the cloud. I have never dared to even attempt turning it on, especially given all the horror stories I have read. I don't really need it, so it's not worth the risk. As a software engineer who looks at it from a technical perspective, syncing detailed application data between two drastically different implementations sounds like a difficult task under the best of circumstances with top software engineering talent dedicated to the task. Microsoft may be up to the task with e.g. Office 365, but I have far more doubts that Quicken's engineering team is up to the task.
  • Suddenly all my paycheck splits and transfers to 401K accounts have disappeared.

Yes I sync with the mobile/cloud quicken account. I just noticed this problem today - March 2021, but see that there has been discussions on this since 2019, and I can't find a solution.

I don't see how Quicken can fix this as basic information on the splits seem to have been removed. We've been users of quicken since the last century, and on subscription since that started. But this this a catastrophic bug, and I don't think I will renew my subscription in April 2021.

Quicken version: R31.20 build: 27.1.31.20.
  • Keddie
    Keddie Member ✭✭
    The latest builds absolutely still do suffer from the same data corruption from syncing to the cloud. The worst part is once you do it even after you "repair" the damage you will continue to get random data verification check errors forever even with sync turned off.

I have video's I've sent to them on how to replicate the issue 100 times out of 100 and it still isn't fixed.

The sad part is if you're reading this thread it's probably too late as it already happened to you and you're hosed.
  • LPinTexas
    LPinTexas Member
    R32.10 Build 27.1.32.10

It is too late. It's not just the paycheck splits to the 401k, it is also a monthly transaction to an investment account. I now have transactions dating from 6/30/20 to 2/12/21 with "unspecified account" instead of the investment account.

Also, a bunch of cleared transactions in my bank account and two of my cc accounts became "uncleared" so statements didn't balance anymore. Urgg. Very frustrating.
  • anthonyoconnor
    anthonyoconnor Member
    edited March 31
    [removed - rant/unhelpful]
  • Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator mod
    edited April 7
    Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to add your comments, experience and feedback to this on-going thread.  Our teams are aware of this issue and have been investigating and working to create a solution.

We have developed a 'test' build that includes a possible fix for this behavior, however, as not all Users are affected by this issue and it would not be properly tested through our Beta program, we are asking the community's help in testing the fix.

If you are willing to assist, please download and install the test build available here.  Once installed, please test the fix by enabling cloud sync (if not already enabled), creating a split paycheck transaction (if one does not already exist) and perform a sync with the Quicken Cloud.

Once testing is completed, the current production build R32.10 may be reinstalled following the steps outlined here.

Please reply here to let us know how testing went, if the issue is resolved in the test build, or if you continue to experience the paycheck split lines becoming blank or zeroed out after syncing.

If issues persist, please also let us know if you would be willing to work directly with us to further investigate this behavior.

Thank you,

Sarah
  • Keddie
    Keddie Member ✭✭
    I would be happy to test it out but I'll only do it in a virtual environment in which I can create a totally separate account and keep it completely isolated from my existing Quicken account and data file. I will create a separate Windows VM but this will require activation of a new Quicken account to be able to do it because I sure as hell am not going to use mine again. My current data file still has corruption and validation issues from this bug. Feel free to reach out to me and I'll be happy to help.
  • Kevin T
    Kevin T Member
    Let me say I hope this issue gets fixed ASAP. This issue is making me likely to move away from Quicken. I wasted hours with this today!!!
  • dlipetz
    dlipetz Member ✭✭
    I am extremely reluctant to try the "test build" as I have reasonable concerns that it may make matters worse. I've already invested many hours fixing data corruption caused by Quicken releases that were supposed to fix the problem. Normally I would jump right on this but prior experience makes me very leery - sort of like Lucy pulling the football away from Charlie Brown. Been there, done that.

Has a single user reported that this test build has corrected the problem?
  • dlipetz
    dlipetz Member ✭✭
    Thanks for fixing the links @Quicken Sarah.

After reviewing the steps in the second link, I have decided that it is just too risky and time-consuming for me to try this test build. This problem is well over a year old now and I am not counting on it being resolved with this new build considering Quicken had previously reported the problem as fixed.
  • MMinderbinder
    MMinderbinder Member
    Ummmmm. This feature has worked for more than 10 years. You cannot even go into the transaction and manually fix. Please test and fix asap.
  • jenngine
    jenngine Member ✭✭
    @Quicken Sarah I see this problem has been going on for quite some type. I noticed it happening to recent transactions but didn't realize how far it went back. I just fixed paychecks going back to 2019. This is really unacceptable. Is there any type of suggested work around or fix? Have the engineers identified what is causing the issue? We need some type of update that is not asking us to be beta testers with our financial data. Please help! (I have used Quicken since 1998 and this is very disappointing.)
  • johnspeaks
    johnspeaks Member ✭✭
    Are we just being left hanging out to dry? This is maddening. I've got decades of data at risk here.
  • jimjmc
    jimjmc Member
    edited April 27
    [removed - unhelpful/disruptive]
  • Following. Leveraging split transactions and leveraging the automated flow (transfers) into proper accounts to reduce time is one of the key selling points of Quicken to me. Has anyone tried the beta Sarah offered back in March 31?
  • dlipetz
    dlipetz Member ✭✭
    edited April 28
    I, for one, have not tested the beta nor has there been any further response from Quicken or other users that I have seen. I looked that the beta notes and decided it was too huge of a time commitment. [removed - violation of community guidelines/unhelpful]
  • @"Quicken Sarah" , I completed the testing steps. The positive results are below.
    Installed beta, verified Version R33.6 BUILD: 27.1.33.6
    TESTING PROCESS:
    1) Added & corrected split transaction paychecks (includes Splits for 401k, HSA, Dental Ins, Vision Ins, Medical Insur premiums, Fed, Medicare,SS,State, Life Ins, Spouse Insurance)
    2) Performed Sync to cloud, like normally do.
    3) Went back and reviewed split transaction paychecks and confirmed all kept their info, and were not 0.00 like typical at this time.
    4) I did additional testing such as closing out of quicken, relaunched, resynced cloud and rechecked paychecks, all still good.
    RESULT: The paychecks split transactions were not zeroed out, I would consider the test build success for this aspect. I will use this version for a bit longer to make sure they don't go revert back to 0.00.

SIDENOTE, this but may/may not be related, as it only started couple months ago vs the other issue going on its 2nd year now. So in Bill & Income Reminders, the PayChecks reminders continue to revert to 0.00. Splits show fine when open reminder, and also display in future reminders correctly. Those Paycheck reminders can be temporarly restored by selecting "Edit this instance and all future" and simply selecting OK. But if exit, and come back in, the Paychecks total is zero again. And these PayChecks have been rebuilt several times.
  • dlipetz
    dlipetz Member ✭✭
    @CommonSenseEngineer - THANK YOU for taking the time to test this build. You are courageous! Perhaps you can check another related issue? I did not have the specific paycheck issue described here but had two related problems that are caused by the Sync process.

1) Scheduled monthly mortgage payment split across two transfers (mortgage principal, escrow) and one category (mortgage interest). In this example, after a Sync, the CATEGORIES for the two transfers would disappear and be blank.

2) Memorized transactions for a single vendor using same name but different categories and tags would change after a sync, typically losing tags or combining the two into one incorrect transaction. (Sorry for not being able to articulate better).
  • Keddie
    Keddie Member ✭✭
    @CommonSenseEngineer you are very brave. With the now countless hours I've spent trying to get a "fix" for this I offered to do it in a test environment assuming Quicken gave me another registered user to test with. They never replied and I have given them datasets and videos of exactly how to reproduce the issue with 100% accuracy. Therefore, I never tested and until I get multiple people confirming this is not an issue and considering I STILL have data corruption even after the supposed fix I will not be re-enabling cloud anytime soon. There's just no point in it. Now as soon as they allow me to scan / take receipts from my phone and upload them via the cloud portal then the risk may be there. Quickbooks has allowed this for years yet Quicken cannot which just drives me batty.
  • Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator mod
    Hello @CommonSenseEngineer

Thank you so much for testing the build and posting back with your feedback, it is greatly appreciated!

I've forwarded your comments and experience directly to the team working this issue, including the note regarding the Bill & Income reminders.  If the team has any further questions, I'll be in contact.

Thank you again,

Sarah
  • CommonSenseEngineer
    CommonSenseEngineer Member ✭✭
    Update: I just updated to the new R33.19 (May,2021) which has this fix in it (An issue in which split category line amounts in the paycheck wizard reverted to zero during synchronization with the cloud.), and can confirm, so far so good. Finally, the paychecks are working as expected. Thanks Quicken.
  • dlipetz
    dlipetz Member ✭✭
    > @CommonSenseEngineer said:
    > Update: I just updated to the new R33.19 (May,2021) which has this fix in it (An issue in which split category line amounts in the paycheck wizard reverted to zero during synchronization with the cloud.), and can confirm, so far so good. Finally, the paychecks are working as expected. Thanks Quicken.

I have R32.12 and Check for Updates says I have the latest version... Hopefully R33.19 also resolves the smiliar issue in which certain scheduled or memorized split transactions lose Categories and/or Tags after One Step Update when Sync is enabled. I imagine Quicken is rolling out 33.19 in phases?