Home Quicken for Windows Download, Add/Update Accounts (Windows)

Lost Open Balance amount in Quicken account

I have been using a Quicken account since 1/1/2012 that tracks my checking account. Today I went to use it and found that it had the wrong balance (something that I had checked last week and it had the correct amount). I hunted for the error for an hour until I relized that the Open Balance amount was missing from 12/31/2011. What a pain. I can enter the amount but wonder if there is some system problem about this.

Comments

• NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    3 possible reasons come to mind.
    1. Fumble  fingers
    2. Some else with access  to your computer  deleted it
    3. Corrupted data file.
    For this last option try doing FILE, Save a copy as ... and then VALIDATE  the copy (FILE, File Operations,  Validate and Repair).
    BUT, in all sincerity, I really suspect one of the 1st 2 options as more likely than corrupted data.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • paulflstruppaulflstrup Member ✭✭
    Validate & Repair did not help so I entered the missing transaction. Does having such a long date range of transactions cause any problems? I could consolidate but I like having all the data.
    Thanks, Paul
    I've been using my Quicken data file since DOS version 5 ... which is 20+ years.
    Does that answer your question?
    Now the same thing has happened with my credit card account (it says I have a credit balance 14,442). The account has lost its beginning balance entry. I will fix this but wonder why this is happening - and NO I did not accidentally delete the begin balance entry. These accounts are from Honor Credit Union and I wonder if they are doing something to cause this.
    "These accounts are from Honor Credit Union and I wonder if they are doing something to cause this. "
    It's not possible for a bank/card/etc to send a DELETE order to Q.
    The "Opening Balance" transaction was deleted by someone using your computer ... OR by a corrupt Q data file.
  • thecreatorthecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @paulflstrup ,

See this FAQ:  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7307115/add-your-quicken-information-to-your-posts-plus-how-you-are-connected-to-the-internet

You haven't disclosed the Quicken or operating system Build.

Also you haven't disclosed if the Empty Transaction Line is located at the top or bottom of the Register Window.

I have an i7 - 885OU cpu @1.80gz
    Windows 10 Pro 1903 updated 9/26/2019 OS 18362.418
    Quicken for Windows 2019 R22.12 27.1.22.12
    The Empty Transaction Line is located at the top of the register window.
    This is the 2nd account that has lost its beginning balance entry - within a week at different times. After much painstaking research, I finally realized what happened and am not happy.
    Someone from the Quicken Community responded and said that it was user error or someone messing with my laptop - this is not true especially now that it has happened again. Please let me know if you need anything else.
    Thanks, Paul Filstrup
    Hi @paulflstrup ,

With Quicken Open and the Empty Transaction Line highlighted, type Ctrl-End. when sorted by Date, this will highlight the Opening Balance at the bottom of the register.
    Yes this works - it takes me to the 2 entries that I had to re-enter into each of the accounts.
    Hi @paulflstrup ,

Go to: https://www.glarysoft.com/

Download Glary Utilities 5. Once installed, and opened, click on 1 Click Maintenance. Check Disk Repair.
    You can configured Options to run Disk Repair on multiple Hard Drives / Partitions within the computer. If it finds any, you need to restart the computer to repair the File System.

File System Errors can cause problems.
    I just lost the begin balance on another account - this is the 3rd time that this has happened. Is there an issue with Quicken2019 on this? I am well-trained now to enter the amount on the account to balance all. I am finding this ridiculous - and it is not a Dumb User Error. I am the only one who uses this computer and I am careful when updating Quicken.
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

There's a possibility that errors during Sync may cause data file damage.

Are you Syncing to Mobile/Web?
    AND do you use the Mobile app on your smartphone or the Quicken on the Web feature?

If no, turn Sync off completely. You don't need it.

If yes, try to Reset Sync so that the current cloud sync file is replaced with a fresh complete copy
    Do note that a full Sync process may take many minutes to complete.

Log out of your mobile app, then do this on your desktop / laptop:

How to reset Sync to Cloud

1. Go to Edit / Preferences / Quicken ID, Sync & Alerts
    2. Under the "Mobile and Web" group to the right, if present, click the "Reset your cloud data" link and follow the instructions until it is complete.

How to turn off Sync to Cloud for the current data file

1. Go to Edit / Preferences / Quicken ID, Sync & Alerts
    2. Click the "Sign in as a different user" link immediately above the "Mobile and Web" group.
    3. Sign out, then sign back in to your Quicken account using your current (correct) Quicken ID.
    4. If the current data file was actively synced to mobile prior to signing out,  the following screen will present a "Use mobile" / "Don't use mobile" choice. Make sure you select the "Don't use mobile" option and move through the remainder of the process. 
      [Please note: The mobile sync option is the default here.]

This discussion has been closed.