Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

How can I merge an old and new version of the same account?

I had an account set up under Savings. When I activated automatic online downloads, Quicken created a new account with the same name under "Checking". I would like to transfer all my older transactions to the new account so that they are all in one place. How can I do that?

Best Answers

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    First, make a copy of your Quicken data file, just in case anything goes wrong doing this. (Quit Quicken, and in the Finder, find your data file and Duplicate it. Or, with Quicken running, select File > Save A Backup.)

Open the old Savings account. Select the first trasnaction. Scroll to the bottom of the register and Shift-click the last transaction -- so that all the transactions are highlighted. Click and drag on any of the blue highlighted transactions over to the left sidebar, over the name of the new account, then release your mouse. All the transactions will move from one account into the other. Once you're sure you got all the transactions, and your new account looks correct, you can delete the old account by Control-clicking the old account name in the sidebar and selecting Delete Account from the drop-down menu.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • mackim
    mackim Member ✭✭
    Thanks, Jacobs. I tried your suggestion but as soon as I drag the transactions over the sidebar I get the "can't do that" icon of a circle with a diagonal line through it. It won't allow me to drag the transactions to any account. Is there a workaround?

I tried to find a way to export the transactions but I was only able to export all transactions.
  • jacobs
    You should only get the circle with the line through it if you are (a) trying to drag into an Investment account, (b) trying to drag onto a group heading (such as "Banking" or "Cash"), or (c) your cursor is still over the transaction main window and not over an account name in the left sidebar.

As you start the drag, you should see a red circle with the number of transactions you're trying to move. Keep moving to the left until your cursor is over the account you want to move to -- that red circle should remain as you position your cursor over the account you want to drop into. (I thought maybe two accounts with the same name could be a problem, but I tried it, and Quicken doesn't care. )

In this screen shot, I have two accounts called "1-Checking" and I have selected 4 transactions from the second of those accounts in the main register and dragged my cursor over the name of the first account where I want to move those transactions. You can see the red circle. When I release my mouse, the four transactions move from the second to the first account. 

• mackim
    mackim Member ✭✭
    I've been playing with it and discovered that it won't let me drag a transaction if it involves a transfer to or from another account. The rest will drag just fine.

So I've actually dragged all the non transfer items over and have started changing the transfer from or to in the accounts of origin. This is tedious but it's working.

Some of the transfers are in accounts which now have a zero balance and are hidden. Is there any way of opening the register for a hidden account without going the hide/show window and making them visible first?
  • jacobs
    Hmmm. I just tried dragging several transactions, one of which has a Transfer, and it let me drag and drop without a problem. I tried both sides of the transfer, too, and still no problem. I tried dragging a transaction with a transfer to a hidden account; that worked, too. So I'm not sure what's different between what I'm doing and you're doing. 

As for your last question, no, there is no shortcut to temporarily opening a closed register; you have to go to Hide & Show accounts.
  • mackim
    mackim Member ✭✭
    I've got it all transferred and it all balances. Thanks for your help. I'd still like to know if there's a way to bring up the register of a hidden account without unhiding it first. I'd also like to know if there is a way to get a list of all accounts, hidden or not other than in the show/hide window.

Thanks again.
  • jacobs
    Glad you got it to work.

As I said above, there is no way to open a hidden account register other than to unhide it.* If you want to be able to browse transactions in the register of a hidden account, and see a list of accounts that includes hidden accounts, I'm not sure what would actually be hidden about such accounts. ;)

*I thought of one exception to be able to open a transaction register of a hidden account: if you're looking at a transaction in a register which has a Transfer to an account which is hidden, if you click on the right arrow that pops up in the Transfer field to take you to the other side of the transaction, that will open the hidden account in a new window so it can show the other transaction. 

Perhaps it could be interesting if you could Control-click the header of the sidebar to make it temporarily show all accounts. Or if you could temporarily "Unhide All" and then have it revert to hiding whatever accounts had been previously hidden. But those kinds of options don't exist today.

You can currently tell reports to include or not include transactions in hidden accounts, and the  have said a similar option for Search will be coming in the future.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    I wonder if the transfer transaction that wouldn't drag and drop involved a transfer to an investment account? That might have been the issue.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • mackim
    mackim Member ✭✭
    Sorry Jacobs, I didn’t realize you had already replied when I wrote my last note. I’m relatively new to the current Quicken and appreciated that the old one had a list of accounts with a check box to show hidden accounts. I appreciate the tip for going to transfers as that is when I have primarily wanted to view an old account.

I’m wondering if you are using Quicken on a PC which might explain the difference in our two experiences. (“Control Click” was my clue.)

To RickO, no, none of the transfers were to investment accounts. Quicken wouldn’t let me drop them anywhere in the sidebar.

While I have you two founts of wisdom, I have one final question. I have a number of old accounts that have not been active for years and which I would like to delete. I’ve been reluctant to do that for fear of what would happen to transfers to or from other, active accounts. I don’t want those being deleted as well. Is it safe to just delete those old accounts?

Thanks for all your help.
This discussion has been closed.