Import security prices from CSV file as part of One Step Update

user99029user99029 Member ✭✭
edited November 2019 in Investments (Windows)
I have several securities that are unlisted, so I use the "Import security prices from CSV file..." feature to update the prices. That is tedious to do every day.

It would be great if I could configure One Step Update to simply import that same file every time it runs.
0 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• q_lurkerq_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is certainly a novel idea.  One I would not have thought of.  

Just curious -- how are you getting the csv file?  Straight from the financial institution?  You own update?  Some other source?  

Since you are doing this "every day", I suspect you are using a "ticker", "price" format one line for each of the "several" securities.  

As an alternative (since I am doubtful this idea will gain much traction), you might consider using a copy/paste pairing to copy the individual prices from the csv file or other presentation and then pasting into the price field of a portfolio view.  That may prove to be quicker for "several" securities than the import csv file sequence.

• user99029user99029 Member ✭✭
    I have written a script that is scheduled to run and connect to the financial website(s), scans the html for the securities and prices, then appends the results to a file.

The file looks something like this:

XCBP,34.14,10/04/19
    XCEP,36.51,10/04/19
    XCBP,34.04,10/07/19
    XCEP,36.36,10/07/19

With this approach, I can have any number of securities updated with a single file import.

If Quicken had a way (e.g., API), I would simply have the script connect to Quicken directly and update it with the new prices.
  • Greg_the_GeekGreg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You might want to vote for your own idea by clicking the up arrow under the 0.
    Quicken 2017 H&B - Windows 10
  • seshapiroseshapiro Member ✭✭
    I copied user 99029s file and change the security names and prices and tried to import the file It tells me file not found or unreadable. I am using quicken 2017.
    I save the file as a csv file.
    Why will it not import the file?
  • q_lurkerq_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @seshapiro :  What program are you using to prepare the file?

If using Excel or similar spreadsheet, you want to be putting each field (ticker, price date) into a separate column (cell) and from that structure, saving the file as a csv file.