Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

How to recover data files?

When starting the program I get the following;

Quicken is having difficulties reading your data. We recommend that you allow Quicken to reconstruct the index file of your data. (Your transactions will not be harmed.)

Can't Open file

Unable to reopen data file

The program runs properly, I can create a new set of files but this is October there is nine months of transactions I can not access.
All the data (several years worth) is kept of a USB thumb drive. I was using the data earlier in the week
Tagged:

Comments

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a bad practice to store your Quicken data file on a USB thumb drive. It should be on a local hard drive and backed up to the thumb drive. I would suggest moving your data file to C:\Users\<Username>\Documents\Quicken and then validating the file.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • DrT
    DrT Member
    Thanks,
    I Moved them before asking got the same results.
    How does one validate the file?
  • Greg_the_Geek
  • DrT
    DrT Member
    Thanks, didn't work.
    I can open the 2018 files, create new files but not access the 2019 data. I guess I will be spending the fall reentering nine months data.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    don't you have ANY of the /Backup/ files -
    that either...
    A - automatically backup after X opens/closes
    B - reminder to manually create an extra backup file after X opens/closes
    Usually stored in the /Quicken/ folder with a /Backup/ sub-folder

Quicken 2020 Deluxe - Subscription - Windows 10
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Did you try Super Validate?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • DrT
    DrT Member
    I can access 20 years (1999 to 2018) of quicken data. The backup done October 3, 2019 is the same as the working copy, unusable.
    Just before moving I backed up all data to a remote HD. So I was able to use it but that was March so I have only six months data to reenter.
This discussion has been closed.