Upgraded to Quicken 2019 for Windows - categories disappeared

I just upgraded to Quicken 2019 R20.15 for Windows (10).
I opened my file and there were no categories for any transaction going back 8 years.
I validated the data file. No categories.
I rebooted the PC. No categories.
I opened Options> Manage Categories> chose Standard > Mark All > and Business > Mark All and hit OK.
the Categories on the Category List screen flickered a bunch of times.
No Categories added.

What is my next step?
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Greg_the_GeekGreg_the_Geek ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    You can make a copy outside of Quicken using Windows File Explorer.
    Quicken 2017 H&B - Windows 10

Answers

• David ChristopherDavid Christopher Member ✭✭✭✭
    Did you make a backup of your file before you upgraded? If so, I would go to File > Open Quicken File > Backup and choose that file. On next screen click on Create a Copy.  On next screen choose the desktop for the copy location' rename the file to something appropriate and then click open.

If I did not make a backup before I installed the update I would choose my most recent backup file.

Once the 'spinning' is done open the copy and see if the categories are there.

If they are and you are satisfied, close Quicken and put the copy in your Documents > Quicken folder and move the corrupt file someplace else or delete it. Then Click on the file name in the Quicken folder and open it again, so the next time you click on the desktop Icon to open Quicken, you open the correct file.

If they are not in the copy, I would consider reinstalling Quicken. 

My version of Quicken of Quicken is 2019 R22.12 Build 27.1.22.12

• Tim DawesTim Dawes Member ✭✭
    Thanks, David. I've been reluctant to open my backup copy in case Quicken is somehow corrupting my file.

When I opened my Quicken 2016 file in Quicken 2019, Quicken 2019 didn't tell me it was converting my file or ask me if it could.

I'm concerned that somehow Quicken 2019 is deleting the categories and I don't want to open my copy inside Quicken 2019 and risk losing categories on my back up.

Can I copy or backup my backup outside of Quicken? Is there a way for me to preserve a good copy outside of Quicken in case it's something Quicken is doing?
  • Greg_the_GeekGreg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    You can make a copy outside of Quicken using Windows File Explorer.
    Quicken 2017 H&B - Windows 10
  • thecreatorthecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tim Dawes said:
    Thanks, David. I've been reluctant to open my backup copy in case Quicken is somehow corrupting my file.

When I opened my Quicken 2016 file in Quicken 2019, Quicken 2019 didn't tell me it was converting my file or ask me if it could.

I'm concerned that somehow Quicken 2019 is deleting the categories and I don't want to open my copy inside Quicken 2019 and risk losing categories on my back up.

Can I copy or backup my backup outside of Quicken? Is there a way for me to preserve a good copy outside of Quicken in case it's something Quicken is doing?
    Hi @"Tim Dawes" ,

Quicken 2016 , 2017 and Quicken Subscription Versions, all use the same File Format. There is no File conversion.

The only way, Quicken can corrupt your File, if you partition has File System errors.
    I would suggest that you download Glary Utilities from:  https://www.glarysoft.com/

Once install run 1 Click Maintenance  with Disk Repair check.

You can Restore a Manual Backup to a New File Name and check it out before overwriting your open Data File.
    Greg_the_Geek, thanks for the note. I was concerned that the .QDF file has associated files that it put hooks into that I would need to copy as well. If not, File Explorer is a simple answer.
    thecreator, thanks for the tip. I'll look into it.
    It turns out, it was a problem with Quicken. I got on support and they directed me to a Mondo Patch. Very frustrating. Took hours to work out. I wish they had just told me when I bought that I needed to update with the Mondo patch. Didn't have that option in the Help menu. And it's an obscure link on Quicken's website.
This discussion has been closed.