Home Quicken for Windows Errors and Troubleshooting (Windows)

Quicken 2017- SEARCH in the register does not work correctly

I upgraded from quicken 2013 to quicken 2017 and found all okay, but the search box in the register does not work correctly. I have several transactions in my register with different people and we always put enter payee's names as LAST, FIRST if they are not a business, however after I upgraded, when I type in a name, for example "Washington, George" nothing shows up, but if I simply type in "GEORGE" then all those with the name "GEORGE" show up, including "Washington, George". So in other words, if I type "Washington, George" nothing will show up. I have VALIDATED the file under the Menu item FILE, and there are no problems.

Comments

• Rocket J SquirrelRocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    I think you've found a strange bug. I can reproduce it.
    I'm using QW2019, and it appears that the comma character behaves incorrectly in the register search field. If I have a payee John Jones, I can type "John," and all the John payees appear, even those without commas. I can continue adding commas, "John,,,,,,,,,,," and the "found" transactions decrease in number after each comma I type following no obvious pattern. [Edit: after playing around with this some more, the behavior is really bizarre.]
    And if I do have a payee of "Washington, George", all the found transactions vanish as soon as I type "Washington, " i.e., when I type the space after the comma.
    Comma is not one of the documented pattern match characters (like ? and ~), so I don't know what's going on here.
    I don't think anyone's reported this bug before. The only workaround I can suggest is to get rid of commas in your payee names so you don't have to search for them. As in a mass Find/Replace changing "Washington, George" to "George Washington" or "Washington; George" or similar.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • Jason258Jason258 Member ✭✭
    At least you have been able to confirm the bug. That's crazy that someone broke it between version 14 and 17, and that it has stayed broken ever since. Unfortunately for us, we cannot switch. I am very surprised that a character like a comma can not be accounted for. Well, hopefully QUICKEN will fix it. Thanks again.
  • Rocket J SquirrelRocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have submitted an official bug report on this. Sorry I took so long.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • Jason258Jason258 Member ✭✭
    Is there any update on this BUG being fixed?
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jason258 said:
    Is there any update on this BUG being fixed?

With Quicken 2017 now on the list of unsupported versions, I wouldn't hold my breath.
    You may eventually see this problem fixed in a maintenance release of Quicken Subscription (aka Quicken 2018, 19, 20, etc.)