How do I stop Q from automatically adding new investments to a "watchlist"?

simsiccr
simsiccr Member ✭✭
edited November 2019 in Investments (Windows)
How do I stop Q from automatically adding a new investment to a "watchlist" ? I can see all new investments without having them in a separate watchlist.
15 votes

Implemented · Last Updated

Option to include/exclude a new security to the Watchlist is now available in the Add Security flow

Comments

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think there is any way to stop Quicken Subscription from adding new securities to the watch list.

You can however remove securities from the list by going to Tools > Security list and un-checking the Watch List box for any securities you do not want on the list.

Note that this box must remain checked if you do not currently hold any shares of the security and you want Quicken to download quotes for it.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The idea of the WatchList is to show you ALL your securities, regardless of which investment account they may be in.... Brokerage, IRA, ROTH, 401k, etc
    And, as mentioned above, you can easily UN-check them...
    or add some entries to "watch"
    Quicken Subscription - Windows 10
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    ps56k said:
    The idea of the WatchList is to show you ALL your securities, regardless of which investment account they may be in.... Brokerage, IRA, ROTH, 401k, etc  ..." 
    I disagree. To me, the idea of the watch list is to provide a way to show information about stocks you do NOT currently own. The list allows you to “watch” companies to see if they become worth the risk. 

Regardless, Jim’s answer is accurate. 
  • miklk
    miklk SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    q_lurker said:
    I disagree. To me, the idea of the watch list is to provide a way to show information about stocks you do NOT currently own. The list allows you to “watch” companies. 
    Agree, watch list is normally for not owned securities. 
  • Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seem to me the op has a good point.  That is, If the watch list is for “not owned” securities, as I agree it is, then it sure begs the question as to why newly owned securities are automatically added to the watchlist.
    Quicken Premier Subscription, Windows 10 Home
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob_L said:
    Seem to me the op has a good point.  That is, If the watch list is for “not owned” securities, as I agree it is, then it sure begs the question as to why newly owned securities are automatically added to the watchlist.
    I almost commented on that in my prior post.  In the overall picture, when you are adding a security, you have not bought it yet.  Yes, I realize when you start a buy transaction with a new security, Quicken moves into the Add-a-Security routine, so it 'could' know you are buying it.  But it doesn't appear that such a bit of information gets passed along to that Add-a-Security routine and there is likely nothing in there to consider that fact.  

Also, I don't think it was always the case that a new security was automatically watch-listed.  Originally, the user had to explicitly add the security to the watch list.  Indeed, I recall there being a box to check to that effect on one of the associated pop-up.  windows.  Long time ago, I asked to have that option brought back into the frame, but that never went anywhere.

I snipped the below pic in November 2016, likely QW 2015.

Simple fix to the problem.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    q_lurker said:
    I snipped the below pic in November 2016, likely QW 2015.

Simple fix to the problem.
    Things changed since that picture was taken.
    Here's a snapshot from Q 2019 R 22.12
    The option to include this security on watch list has disappeared.
    I move to change this discussion to an Idea, to get the programmers involved and to make Watch List optional for any new security again.
    What do you think?
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @UKR "The option to include this security on watch list has disappeared."
    Right.  It disappeared in QW2017 I believe.

"I move to change this discussion to an Idea, to get the programmers involved and to make Watch List optional for any new security again.
    What do you think?"

Sounds like a plan to me.  

In addition, when creating a new security, I'd like a more direct option to change the other fields associated with the new security - Type, Asset Class, Tax Free status, DL Quotes, etc.  (The basics of the Edit Security options).  Presently prompted as "Back to change", but "Back" simply restarts the new security path, it doesn't allow for changes to the state of the security.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Vote on Ideas

A Community Moderator changed this discussion to an Idea.
    Ideas are brought to the attention of the programmers for consideration.

If you would like to see this enhancement made in a future version of Quicken please don't forget to vote on it. Locate the big blue box near the top of this webpage (or page 1 for long discussions) and click the "Up" triangle under the voting count.
    Wait a moment for the vote count to be registered and updated before you continue.
    The little triangle changes from grey to black when you have registered your vote.

Every vote counts!

• simsiccr
    simsiccr Member ✭✭
    I sincerely appreciate everyone's time and comments related to my question. I heartily support this change being made to Quicken and, I have voted to do so. Thanks again for your time and comments.
    Carl
  • Bill Thomas
    Bill Thomas Member ✭✭
    Unfortunately, Quicken added every option trade I ever made and the "watchlist" now numbers in the thousands. If you know how options are symbolized, there is only one ticker per option for each expiration date, underlying ticker, and face value. I want to eliminate the watchlist entirely. It hangs up my cloud sync and shuts down the entire sync process. How do I fo that?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Bill Thomas you can't get rid of the watch list.

On the other hand if you had kept up with it you could have removed the securities from the watch list as they were added.  Unfortunately the Security list doesn't support multiple select/changing of this setting, so if you want them off of the list you have to do it one at a time.

And I just played with this a bit.  And what I'm seeing is that if you add the security from the Add Security dialog it puts it on the watch list, but if it is added through a download from the broker it isn't.  Which makes some sense to me since in the first case you don't own the security (at least not yet) and the only way you can download quotes for it is by having it on the watch list.  And of course if you created it in the process of a download you have a position in it and as such doesn't need to be on the watch list to get quote updates.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Bill Thomas
    Bill Thomas Member ✭✭
    The watch list needs an "Uncheck All" feature. I never used Q's watchlist because I have much better ones in my brokerage platform, and was not aware -- for years -- that this watchlist in Q was growing like a cancer. So please don't lecture me about "keeping up" with the watchlist! Now the issue is that Cloud Sync is completely freezing and shutting down my desktop, hanging on -- you guessed it -- trying to sync the watchlist.
    My only choice now is to never again use cloud sync. I am deleting the mobile app (which I have very rarely used) and hoping I can delete my file on Quicken on the Web.
  • jmaino
    jmaino Member
    Please add!
  • Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator mod
    This request has been implemented and the option to include or not include a new security in the Watchlist has been added to the Add New Security flow:

Thank you!
This discussion has been closed.