Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Sam's Synchrony Bank "One Step Update" downloading "pending" transactions...again!

Sam's Synchrony Mastercard has now gone from downloading pending transactions that were made in a Sam's Club Warehouse to downloading pending transactions from every transaction regardless of where the purchase was made...

This is a Sam's Mastercard which first had issues a couple of years ago when the financial institute "Sam's Synchrony Credit Card" (which had worked for years) just quit working all together and I found at that time that if I changed the financial institute to "Sam's Club Personal Credit Account" everything was fine and remained that way for years until, around a year ago, when One Step Update again threw an error and the only way to fix it was to, once again, change the financial institute back to "Sam's Synchrony Credit Card" which, at that time, started downloading pending transactions for purchases made in a Sam's Club Warehouse but all other transactions did not download until they actually posted. I found that I could live with that since I had very few transactions from Sam's Club Warehouse and was more than happy that One Step Update was once again working.

Well, a few days ago One Step Update could not connect with Sam's Synchrony and after a few days of this I, once again, changed the financial institute from "Sam's Synchrony Credit Card" back to "Sam's Club Personal Credit Account" and BINGO! One Step Update was again doing it's thing but it has now started downloading all pending transactions regardless of where the purchase was made.

So that's the issue or issues that seem to be a regular thing with Sam's Synchrony.

GOOD LUCK :|

Comments

• Keith Davis
    Keith Davis Member ✭✭✭
    Same...again.
  • Paul Roques
    Paul Roques Member ✭✭✭
    Moderators...any news on this recurring issue?
  • Paul Roques
    Paul Roques Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    So now OSU is downloading not only "pending" transactions and the now cleared transactions that were previously downloaded when they were pending but out of four transactions that were cleared, at Synchrony prior to the statement cutoff date, only two downloaded to Quicken and two needed to be manually entered.

[rant redacted]
  • Paul Roques
    Paul Roques Member ✭✭✭
    So now OSU is downloading not only "pending" transactions along with the now cleared transactions, which were previously downloaded when they were pending, but now out of four transactions that were cleared, at Synchrony prior to the statement cutoff date, only two downloaded to Quicken and two needed to be manually entered.

[rant redacted]
    By the way, that 2nd paragraph (now redacted) wasn't intended to be a rant but only frustration as to the fact that these issues keep happening with only the OSU of Sam's Synchrony transactions along with the fact that this thread was started over two weeks ago and nobody from Quicken has offered any information, progress or updates on these recurring issues (even though I asked for some news on Oct. 29).

Paul
  • Mike Goelz
    Mike Goelz Member ✭✭
    This has been an ongoing problem.
  • Dennis@1
    [email protected] Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    We went through this 5-6 months ago. Mine's been doing it again for a couple of weeks now. It downloads the pending transactions immediately, then downloads the cleared transactions a couple of days later. I run both Quicken for Mac  (Quicken Connect) and Quicken for Windows (Express Web Connect). It only does this in Qwin.
  • jim mirkle
    jim mirkle Member ✭✭
    I have the same problem (Quicken for Windows).
  • Don Bartenstein
    Don Bartenstein Member ✭✭✭
    Yup, me too....
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Have you tried this yet (if your bank recently changed their website or password requirements)?

How to refresh financial institution information (Branding)

Please read and follow instructions here:
    https://www.quicken.com/support/server-issue-troubleshooting

If that doesn't resolve the issue:

• It is the bank's contractual obligation to notify their Account Manager at Intuit Inc. of any changes to their websites and download functions in a timely manner before the change is implemented.
    • The bank also needs to notify their customers of this change and any actions that might be required by the customer to regain access.
    • If they didn't do that, complain to your bank's upper level management.
    • Also contact Quicken Support via Chat or Phone at https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support  and report this Online Banking issue, so that Intuit Inc. can be notified of the issue.  Ultimately, however, the bank must work together with Intuit on solving this update issue.

Please let us know if you were able to get this issue resolved (or not).

• Paul Roques
    Paul Roques Member ✭✭✭
    @UKR

Thanks for the suggestions...

In the past I've already been through refreshing the "Branding" along with contacting Quicken support and nothing has helped other than putting up with it until it just seems to get well on it's own. Once it gets well it stays that way for quite some time until, out of the blue, it suddenly reverts back to downloading the pending transactions.

The Sam's Synchrony OSU has always been a source of mystery with multiple issues coming and going at will with no plausible reason at all. As I said in the beginning of this thread (please read the first post in this thread) the best example of this is constantly having to change the financial institute back and forth between "Sam's Synchrony Credit Card" and "Sam's Club Personal Credit Account" whenever OSU throws an ongoing download error on the account.

I guess the good news is that this particular account keeps me from getting complacent with my financial management  :)

I have, once again, refreshed the "Branding" and will keep you posted as to the results.

Paul 

• Dennis@1
    6 weeks + now. Sam's Club Mastercard still down loading pending transactions and then the same cleared transaction a day or 2 later. Only see this behavior in Qwin. Qmac working correctly. Both using latest greatest updated versions.
  • jim mirkle
    jim mirkle Member ✭✭
    Same here. The pending transactions seem to have *** after the payee and the cleared transactions don't. I guess I'll have to open another problem with support and go through 20 steps again that I've already done. The problem doesn't seem to be getting any attention.
  • jim mirkle
    jim mirkle Member ✭✭
    I talked to Mario at Quicken support and we demonstrated that , yes, Sam's Club Personal Credit (really a MasterCard) was downloading pending transactions. Mario said to escalate the problem on Sam's Club to the OFX department.

I chatted for some time with an agent who told me that they didn't support downloads. After getting to a manager, I got better results (I think). He acknowledged the problem and said he would pass it on to the IT team.

He also offered this suggestion to reduce some of the effort until the problem is resolved. "After one step update downloads the pending transactions, you have to delete that transactions from register and then run the One step update again, it does not download that transaction again until it actually posts as a completed transaction on the Sam's Synchrony web site."

He also said he would have the agents coached that they DO support some third-party applications like Quicken.

The moral of the story is "Don't take denials from first-level support at Synchrony Bank.
  • This is SUCH a HUGE problem for me. 98% of my daily transactions are through Sams Credit Card and the pending transactions create a TON of work for me. I cannot emphasize how difficult it is to manage my account. All other banking and credit card accounts work perfectly with Quicken. Why is this ONE ACCOUNT such a big problem. It's been fixed before, PLEASE fix it again, PLEASE.
  • Mike Goelz
    Mike Goelz Member ✭✭
    Still doing it everyday
  • jim mirkle
    jim mirkle Member ✭✭
    Both Quicken and Synchrony Bank seem to agree that this is a Synchrony problem. Supposedly it was turned over to their IT department when I opened my problem. Based on their recommendations, I suspect that it was a known problem before I called.

If you haven't already called Sam's Club/Synchrony Bank to report the problem, do so to help boost their priority. If first-level support doesn't acknowledge the problem and tries to say it's Quicken's fault, ask to speak to a manager. Here's the response I got from a chat with Aaron Walker. Account Manager. The support number is 844 335 5919. The session ID for my chat is

Synchrony support chat response with Aaron Walker:
    Thank you for bringing this to our notice James, I will have this reported to our IT team and have them check on this issue, in the meanwhile, let me check for an alternative here.

You can try this "After one step update downloads the pending transactions, you have to delete that transactions from register and then run the One step update again, it does not download that transaction again until it actually posts as a completed transaction on the Sam's Synchrony web site.
    In the meanwhile, I will forward this issue to our back end team.

[Me] One other thing, I've contacted your chat line twice on this and both times I was told that third party access was not allowed. Maybe they could be given a different answer?

Oh, I am sorry to know that, I will check on this and have the agents coached accordingly, we do not support most of the third party applications except few like quicken.
  • Paul Roques
    Paul Roques Member ✭✭✭
    I had found that the best thing to do, after downloading (OSU), is to reconcile and UNCHECK the pending transactions that have shown up but DO NOT DELETE THEM. Then, in the next day or two, when the posted transaction finally downloads you can "match to an existing transaction" and all is well...at least until this is fixed.

That said...when I ran OSU yesterday there were two Sam's transactions, which were made the day before (one for gas and one for products in the warehouse), that showed on the Sam's Synchrony web site as "pending" yet only one of them (gas) downloaded to Quicken and, of course, I unchecked it during the "reconcile" process. 

Today I ran OSU and, of course, that transaction (gas) downloaded again which I now matched to the existing transaction (unchecked during reconcile the day before) to combine the two but that second transaction for warehouse purchases (which was also pending the day before but did not download with the other pending (gas) transaction) downloaded the finalized/posted transaction like nothing was ever wrong.

So...two Sam's transactions made within 30 minutes of each other and both shown as pending on the first day I ran OSU but only one of the two pendings downloaded to Quicken that day, while the other downloaded the next day when it was finalized/posted...go figure  :/
  • jim mirkle
    jim mirkle Member ✭✭
    :# So Synchrony has half-fixed the problem. Seems like that will increase the amount of work we have to do, not knowing if a downloaded transaction is pending or final. Thanks for the warning.
  • Paul Roques
    Paul Roques Member ✭✭✭
    I find it odd that I have a Lowes credit card, which is also issued by Synchrony, and it seems to be just fine  :/
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have had this same problem for a little over a month now and have been dealing with it manually, as others have described here. 

However I also just noticed that in "Online Center" the "Financial Institution" somehow was changed (and not by me) from "Sam's Club Personal Credit Account" to "Sam's Club Personal Credit Acco".  Not sure exactly when that happened or what may have caused it.  I tried the "rebranding" scenerio described above and it didn't fix it or the downloading of duplicate transactions.  Funny, but this incorrect financial institution name has also not affected my ability to download both pending and actual transactions for this credit card account.

Quicken H&B-Subscription - Ver. R29.20 - Build 27.1.29.20  - Windows 10 Home - Ver. 2004
                                             - - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -
  • Dennis@1
    Still seeing this behavior now 3+ months. Sam's Club Mastercard downloads pending transactions immediately, then once again when the transaction clears. Quicken Sarah, Quicken Natalie, Quicken Kathryn, somebody please address this issue. Obviously Synchrony isn't.

It clearly has something to do with Qwin Express Web Connect. Qmac Quicken Connect does not exhibit this behavior. 
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Moderator mod
    Hello all,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your issue, although I apologize that you haven't received a response.

At this point, I would recommend contacting support directly.

https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support

Support can perform in-depth troubleshooting as well as create a help ticket this will help gauge the impact an issue is having and help get the problem investigated further.

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • Dennis@1
    Been there done that months ago.
  • Keith Davis
    Keith Davis Member ✭✭✭
    Seriously? How we can be told to contact support for an issue that is obviously so widespread?
  • Don Bartenstein
    > @Keith Davis said:
    > Seriously? How we can be told to contact support for an issue that is obviously so widespread?

Because that is their standard answer for everything.
  • Dennis@1
    And now 2 more weeks with no corrective action.
  • Don Bartenstein
    > @[email protected] said:
    > And now 2 more weeks with no corrective action.

It's been much longer than that if you look when this topic started...
  • Dennis@1
    > @[email protected] said:
    > And now 2 more weeks with no corrective action.

It's been much longer than that if you look when this topic started...
    I know. I said 2 more weeks.
  • dwneas
    dwneas Member ✭✭
    When I do the automatic update it seems as though Sams duplicates tranactions?
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020 Accepted Answer
    Yes - this is known issue that started late last year.  Basically, both "pending transactions" and "actual transactions" are now being downloaded by the provider.  The pending transactions should not be part of the data pushed out to cardholders.

Here's a link to a post explaining the issue (which is still unresolved)  [removed self-referencing link]

Quicken H&B-Subscription - Ver. R29.20 - Build 27.1.29.20  - Windows 10 Home - Ver. 2004
                                             - - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -
This discussion has been closed.