Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Fix auto decimal placement

It works in all of the registers, as expected. But it does NOT work in Reconciliation nor Bill Paying. If I type 4321 expecting 43.21 I get 4321.00!!! I have clamored for this over and over, and I'm not the only one. It really can't be all that difficult.

J D Thomas
ThomaStudios
2 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• cjmay27
    cjmay27 Member
    Quicken used to auto place decimal as in 140 would be 140.00
    Fix it!
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    cjmay27 said:
    Quicken used to auto place decimal as in 140 would be 140.00
    Fix it!

Generally, in Quicken for Windows, placing a decimal point is controlled by the setting
    "Automatically place decimal point" in Edit / Preferences / Register.
    I have not heard of a resolution to or even a confirmation of the specific cases where it's supposedly not working, as pointed out by the original poster.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Moderator mod

Hello All 

This Idea seems to have fallen stagnant and due to the Age of the request and lack of User Votes/Comments, will be archived within the next 7 business days.

If you would like to see this Idea kept alive and considered for possible future implementation in Quicken, be sure to Add your Vote and a comment explaining how this Idea would be beneficial for you.

More information, including steps to vote and how to submit your own Ideas for future product features/improvements, is also available here.

Thank you,

Quicken Community Support Team

~~~***~~~
  • Snowman
    Snowman Member ✭✭✭✭
    This is a long standing issue and I can confirm on Reconciliation.  I have version R29.16 and Windows 10 version 2004,  Lack of votes should not trump fixing a bug that makes using the program inconvenient  .  I have over 15 accounts that I reconcile every month and it is a great inconvenience to have to remember to put in the decimal.  My preference is set (and has been for many years) to have Quicken automatically place the decimal.  
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    It works in all of the registers, as expected. But it does NOT work in Reconciliation nor Bill Paying. If I type 4321 expecting 43.21 I get 4321.00!!! I have clamored for this over and over, and I'm not the only one. It really can't be all that difficult.

J D Thomas
    ThomaStudios
    Hi @""J D Thomas" ,

The Behavior is correct. If I type 2400 and click Enter. I get 2,400.00 and that's correct.
    If I enter 24.65, I see 24.65 and that's correct. I really see no change of behavior, coming.

Otherwise, other Users would be up in arms.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R32.12  USA & Quicken 2017 HBRP R20.6 USA
                       Windows 10 Pro 32 & 64-Bit Build 21359.1
    also            Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19042.928

Note: Holding Down the Left Shift Key or Left Ctrl Key produces Window with Quicken 2019 in the Title Bar when click About Quicken,

View: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7859218/work-with-copies-of-your-actual-quicken-data-files/p1?new=1

• Rich_M
    Rich_M SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @UKR I think you pointed out the most important aspect of this preference, this is a register setting, it is not a global setting, so it is working correctly.
    Quicken 2017 Premier - Windows 10 Pro
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Snowman said:
    Lack of votes should not trump fixing a bug that makes using the program inconvenient
    I would respectfully disagree that this is a bug. 

The Quicken "preference" is a "register" setting which clearly only applies to "registers" and would not necessarily carry over to all instances where one is inputting dollar amounts - e.g. in a reconciliation process, or when one is setting up budget amounts, etc.  A bug would be if it did not work in registers - but it clearly does.

Frankx

Quicken H&B-Subscription - Ver. R29.20 - Build 27.1.29.20  - Windows 10 Home - Ver. 2004
                                             - - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -
  • Snowman
    Snowman Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    In Budgets one rarely uses cents.  Since Reconciling an account deals directly with the register of an account I have to disagree with your assessment.  That it is why saying that it is a preference under register is just a cop out.  It was a bug years ago when it was first reported but now it is accepted as "ok" because it is a preference under the Registry settings? Come on man!!
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay, Joe - you disagree,  It still isn't a bug.

Frankx

Quicken H&B-Subscription - Ver. R29.20 - Build 27.1.29.20  - Windows 10 Home - Ver. 2004
                                             - - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -