Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Why is Quicken logging into accounts to verify the connection

I recently was alerted to someone logging into my PayPal account at 5 am in the morning. Fearing that it was a hacker I changed the password and user ID. I updated Quicken and it happened again.

I found out that Quicken still uses Intuit servers and that's what is logging into all of my accounts that I download transactions for.

Why is the verification necessary? I log in every day and downloads are successful with the exception of the Synchrony issues everyone is reporting, but that's another story totally separate from this.

Please explain why this is necessary!!!!!!!

Thank you.

Best Answers

Answers

• dpic44
    dpic44 Member ✭✭
    I'm sure this is in the wrong category but there wasn't one that fit what I was asking. You should create one for authentication/security issues.
  • dpic44
    dpic44 Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Thank you for the quick response however they are not doing this just to put them in a staging area. If that is the case then why do I still need to log into my bank to get them? (removed-inaccurate)  Quicken and Intuit do not need to download anything unless I initiate the download. I am going to stop downloading my transactions and probably stop using Quicken altogether. (removed-inaccurate)
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    " they are not doing this just to put them in a staging area"
    How did you make that determination?  Because, logging in overnight to SEE if there's anything to be downloaded .. and then loading any such transactions to Q/Intuit's servers to be downloaded to you at a later time is EXACTLY how EWC works.
    If you don't like that process, you can quit using EWC, Q Mobile App and the Q Cloud app.
    OR, you can quit using Quicken.
    Entirely your decision.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • dpic44
    dpic44 Member ✭✭
    I don't use any of those options, don't synchronize to the cloud and only want to download my transactions when I'm ready to download them. And again, if they are downloaded prior to my opening Quicken, then there would be no need for me to have to log into my bank to download them. So something is wrong with your logic.

And yes, I don't like it so I will not be downloading anything and will be looking for something else. I already stopped using QuickBooks, now Quicken will be history soon as well.

NO NEED FOR QUICKEN TO DOWNLOAD MY TRANSACTIONS FOR ME BEFORE I REQUEST THEM!!!!!!
  • dpic44
    dpic44 Member ✭✭
    I'm guessing you work for the company, correct?
  • NotACPA
    dpic44 said:
    I'm guessing you work for the company, correct?
    ENTIRELY WRONG.  Like the other SuperUsers, I'm a user, like yourself, and I'm a volunteer.
  • NotACPA
    "NO NEED FOR QUICKEN TO DOWNLOAD MY TRANSACTIONS FOR ME BEFORE I REQUEST THEM!!!!!! "
    Then quit using Express Web Connect ... as previously suggested.  Because that's how EWC works ... and you can't change how it works.
  • dpic44
    dpic44 Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Again, then why do I need to log into my account to download what has already been downloaded?

Already not using downloads and looking for another option. No need to keep repeating yourself NotACPA. I have made the decision to go elsewhere. (removed-inaccurate)

GeoffG, I get the process and I just don't want anything to do with it. (removed-inaccurate)
    Thank you to all who have contributed. Pro or con, it has been extremely helpful to me. I love a good discussion.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    H.I.G. Capital's headquarters is in Miami and at times it may seem like another country, I believe it's still out of the US.

Good luck with your Quicken replacement search!
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • dpic44
    dpic44 Member ✭✭
    I spoke to tech support about this issue before I was told that it was a Intuit server logging into my accounts. They were not in the US and from what I gathered, neither was the company. They may have headquarters in Miami but I believe that the owners are outside the country. I could be wrong, but that was my impression from the tech support guy.
  • dpic44
    dpic44 Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Thank you for the information Quicken_Tyka. I understand about all of the connection types. My concern is that it is downloading my transactions and then I still have to log into my bank to bring them into Quicken. (removed-inaccurate) 

Thank you all again. I hope other people will get something out of this discussion.
  • dpic44
    dpic44 Member ✭✭
    If "Express Web connect aggregates the transaction data at night to become available to download into Quicken" then why do I have to log into my bank to get them? Quicken has already logged into my account. That's all I've been saying from the beginning. Please explain.
  • dpic44
    dpic44 Member ✭✭
    And what is all of the (removed-inaccurate) I see on my posts?
This discussion has been closed.