Why Quicken for Windows Build 27.1.22.17 update does not allow categorization of new transactions?

Quicken just updated my subscription to Quicken Deluxe 2019 ver R22.17 Build 27.1.22.17. New downloaded transactions will NOT allow selection of a category. Old transactions still show categories in the drop down box. New transactions are grayed out and will not allow categories to be selected. What's with that? Please fix soonest.
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• thecreatorthecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @BassMan ,

This depends on how you are downloading transactions.

Are new transactions being entered into the register, right away or are they found directly under each Register in the Downloaded Transactions area beneath the Register?
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you please capture one or more images of the parts of your Quicken window showing the issue, sensitive information blacked out as necessary to protect your privacy but annotated to describe the situation, and attach the image(s) here?
    The Windows Snipping Tool (available with Windows 7 and up) can be used to capture a partial screen image and save it to a file.  Microsoft Paint can be used to annotate the image.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13776/windows-use-snipping-tool-to-capture-screenshots
    To take a screenshot in Mac please see https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201361
    Please create image files of type PNG, JPG or GIF only.
    To attach the image here, start composing your reply in the "Type your comment" box at the bottom of this webpage. Drag and drop the image or, at the top of the text entry window you'll see a row of icons beginning with B I S
    Click the "Attach image" icon (the one that looks like a tiny landscape with mountain and sun). It will allow you to select and upload the captured image file(s) from your computer. The captured image(s) will be inserted at wherever the cursor is located in the text.
  • ps56kps56k SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just updated to R22.17 - and downloaded via OSU -
    Transactions are Accepted manually after review -
    Categories were matched and just entered via Accept All -
    looked at Register - and the Category field is "editable" as normal drop down -
    Quicken 2020 Deluxe - Subscription - Windows 10
  • BassManBassMan Member
    I found that a default category does assign upon download and if no category is assigned, I can just start typing and a new category can be assigned. Where I still have a problem is trying to create a split transaction. Are you able to do a split transaction, instead of assigning just one category?
  • BassManBassMan Member
    Since this last update, the Split Transaction capability to select Categories and Sub-Categories has the down arrow grayed out. You can't easily select proper categories.

Someone else having this problem? I use lots of split transactions and now Quicken makes it very difficult to do what has always been Easy.
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

If you haven't rebooted Windows since you installed the latest software update, please do so now and then try Quicken again.

Still not working?

Let's try some "Troubleshooting 101" to ensure the Quicken software is installed and updated properly and that your data file is in good working order.
    Please perform all the steps in this document:
    Troubleshooting 101 - Fixing Software Installation and Data File Problems

• BassManBassMan Member
    Thanks UKR. I did run the download and I'm still stuck with extremely limited functionality to create a split transaction. The two icons on the right of the Category field are grayed out (are not able to be selected). These selections worked fine before Release R22.17. I am using build 27.1.22.17.

Before this release, all one had to do was click on the Down Arrow icon on the category tab and it would ask if you want to create a split, then a split window would open up... with easy ability to select any category I wanted to add.

Now: Nothing. Even trying to get to the category I want to use is very difficult, since I've created my own categories for things like my salary split vs my wife's salary split. Quicken pulls up garbage when I'm trying to find a category that is custom. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've used Quicken since the '90s and never had problems like this.

I do lots of split transactions and hope there is a solution to fix this.
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for your response.
    I'm using the same release as you do and don't have an issue with clicking on the Category selection icon. It brings up the Category selection list which includes a Split button.
    For many years, when I want to start a Split, I have always pressed CTRL+S from any field in the new transaction area, to open the Split dialog. That means, I may not have noticed any changes in the workings of the Category selection icon.
    Try CTRL+S and see if you like it better.

OTOH, if you'd like to have a second pair of eyes look into this with you, I'd say it's time to call Quicken Support on the phone and request help.  Let them do a screen share session with you to review the situation on your computer, to determine the nature of the problem and to figure out how to fix it.

Quicken Support:

• To contact Quicken Support, please use this link only:
      https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support  and select Chat or Phone support.
      Phone support is only available during posted business hours. The phone number can found at this website.
    • If you are eligible for Premium Support (purchased separately or included as part of your subscription to Quicken 2018/2019 Premier or HB&R) call the number that can be found at the top of your My Account page at https://www.quicken.com/my-account  (US) or https://www.quicken.com/canada/my-account (Canada) next to "Quicken Premium Support"  when you log in with your Quicken ID.
    • To start Chat, your browser must allow popup windows from https://www.quicken.com
    • Other links or phone numbers found elsewhere on the Internet, even in some posts or emails received from other Community members, may not be from Quicken or may not be up-to-date. Use those at your own risk.
    • Unlike other so-called "Quicken support providers", the real Quicken Support is free for all currently supported versions.

• Greg_the_GeekGreg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file? Do you have Controlled Folder Access enabled in Windows Defender? Are you using OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Backup?
    Quicken 2017 H&B - Windows 10
  • BassManBassMan Member
    I don't use Windows Defender. I use Norton products. I'm not using one drive or google/dropbox backup. I have a Quicken subdirectory like I've always had. I am getting very dissatisfied with loss of functionality in Quicken. I spent six times more time to try to do what used to be simple transactions. Quicken has totally hosed up my 401K account when I did a rolloever. It has put in these unuseful placeholder entries that are incorrect and block me from fixing simple issues. It doesn't let me easily create split transactions. Even the calendar icon is locked. Something crazy is going on with Quicken. It is becoming a subscription to disruption. If quicken hoses up a download and you try to fix it, it won't let you "redownload" transactions that in wrong. Never seen anything like it.
This discussion has been closed.