Quicken 2017 Issues [edited]

Quicken 2017 for Windows is suddenly unstable after 2 reliable years. Clicking File, Edit, etc., only displays the help screen, not the pull down options. Or the pull down options merely blink then vanishes. Cannot use any feature.
I have tried delete and reinstall. Have downloaded current mondo patch, and even tried an earlier mondo patch to no avail.
Quicken does work after the reinstall but only for literally a few minutes.

Comments

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have to ask the simple question. Have you restarted your computer? I'm using Quicken 2017 and have no problems. Also, what version of Windows? Have you tried starting Quicken holding the Ctrl key down so no data file is opened?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Restarted multiple times, Using Windows 10 Pro; been using MS Windows since version 3.1.
    >Have you tried starting Quicken holding the Ctrl key down so no data file is opened?
    No. What does this do? I just tried this; tedious as it was. Q17 seems OK so I am momentarily encouraged. But, as I mentioned, on reinstall it has worked fine for minutes or hours and then reverts.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where is your Quicken data file located? Drive letter and full path, please, e.g., C:\Users\_your_username_\Documents\Quicken\QDATA.QDF
    Do you use MS OneDrive, Dropbox or any other cloud backup software AND do you allow that software to access the active Quicken data file while Quicken is running?
  • I have tried the QDF file in 2 locations with the same results: C:\Users\JLD\Desktop|....qdf, as a test location, and, F:\Users\My Documents\Quicken 140\****.qdf. Drive F being a1 Tb Data drive inside my homemade PC.

Do not use Onedrive, Dropbox solely for 1Password and occasional picture sharing, and icloud solely to store iphone pictures; don't even use it for email.

No quicken running on "cloud" or iphone.

Thanks, folks for your interest. Q17 still has 6 months of Quicken bank downloads (that I have used from my Quicken day 1 around 2002). In April 2020, by necessity, I will have to spring for the pay-per-view subscription version. My concern with Q2019 and up is they will be just as flaky.
This discussion has been closed.