A year's worth of lost entries

I have the Starter Edition of Quicken 2016 for Windows. I have been entering expenditures in it since 2016 and backing up the file every time I make new entries. But I never have needed to check the backup copy until yesterday. Then I found that every entry I have made since October 2018, one full year ago, has not registered. This is very distressing! Was I required to renew the Starter Edition at some point, and after that point--without telling me--Quicken simply discarded my entries?

Best Answer

Answers

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Starter Edition is very hampered in functionality after the subscription runs out, but loss of restore is certainly startling. If you don't have the ability to restore from backup, might you have copied the data file elsewhere by chance? If so, you can open that file and hopefully recover more data.
    It's cold comfort, but if you had the Deluxe version and let the subscription laps, you would still have full manual control, including backup/restore.

What happens when my Quicken membership expires?
    The Quicken Data Access Guarantee means that whether you renew your subscription or not, you'll always have full access to and ownership of your data. You can view, edit, export, and manually enter transactions and accounts for Deluxe and higher versions, even after your subscription ends. Access to online services, such as transaction download, quotes, and mobile sync, along with access to Quicken Support, will end if your subscription does. We’ll continue to let you know about product changes and enhancements within the Quicken product. You will also see expiration messages within the program (for examples, see How will I know if I need to renew my subscription membership? below).

The Data Access Guarantee applies to Deluxe and higher versions of Quicken; the Starter version will become read-only upon membership expiration or cancellation.

user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 21H1
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    @GeoffG

I believe that only applies to Quicken Subscription Starter. The OP states they are using the Starter Edition of Quicken 2016 for Windows. I don't believe Quicken 2017 Starter and earlier go to Read Only mode.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Q2016, right you are. Should have stated no longer supported, not off subscription.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 21H1
This discussion has been closed.