Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Quicken no longer remembers the most recent entries [title edited for clarity]

mikeh
mikeh Member ✭✭
Quicken no longer remembers the most recent entries or newer accounts. It is only remembering entries from over a year ago. What can I do to correct this?

Comments

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    It sounds like you may be inadvertently opening old data files.  If you aren't already, I suggest you maintain the data file in a folder on an internal drive and insure no other processes may access the data file (Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive, MegaSync,...) and use short (8.3) file names (for example, QData.QDF).  If you haven't recently, I suggest you reboot Windows. 
  • mikeh
    mikeh Member ✭✭
    I tried back up the existing file using a shorter name. Existing back up file name is: C:\Users\Admin\Desktop\CHECKING_200810191.QDF-backup I tried deleting the 200810191 in the backup file name and received an error message. I am unsure as to how I reboot Windows. After entering information into Quicken I back the file up to the above named file. So I imagine that you are correct that I am using old data but I don't know how to change it.
  • mikeh
    mikeh Member ✭✭
    I don't know how to save my Quicken files with a shorter name or in a more current manner. I have always just used the default backup when I backup my Quicken files. Can you help me with this?
  • mikeh
    mikeh Member ✭✭
    How do I convert my existing Quicken files to a "newer" version? I have been saving them to the default backup file in Quicken.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    mikeh said:
    I tried back up the existing file using a shorter name. Existing back up file name is: C:\Users\Admin\Desktop\CHECKING_200810191.QDF-backup I tried deleting the 200810191 in the backup file name and received an error message. I am unsure as to how I reboot Windows. After entering information into Quicken I back the file up to the above named file. So I imagine that you are correct that I am using old data but I don't know how to change it.
    Why are you trying to rename the backup file?

I suggested you rename the data file, if the data file name is not a short (8.3) name.  One way to achieve this is to select the data file, press F2, and enter the new name.

One way we may reboot Windows is to click on the Windows desktop, press Alt + F4, and select Restart from the pull-down-menu.

• mikeh
    mikeh Member ✭✭
    I went to File and saved a copy using today's date. (Per your email message) Above you suggest selecting the data file, which I cannot find.
    After clicking on my desktop and pressing Alt + F4 I get an image of a microphone! Sorry to be so dense about this but I would really like to get this right.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    mikeh said:
    I went to File and saved a copy using today's date. (Per your email message) Above you suggest selecting the data file, which I cannot find.
    After clicking on my desktop and pressing Alt + F4 I get an image of a microphone! Sorry to be so dense about this but I would really like to get this right.
    I did not ask you to save a copy using today's date.  I suggested you shorten the data file name if it was not a short (8.3) name.

There are many ways to find find your data files.  One way is to open Quicken and select File > Find Quicken Files...

Here is web site which describes 6 different ways you may reboot Windows: https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000825.htm
  • mikeh
    mikeh Member ✭✭
    I downloaded the latest version of Quicken and installed it. It said that it would remove the old version, save my data and put it in the new version. This did not correct the problem. Rebooting Windows does not help; this problem has been existing for at least two years, maybe longer. It is getting very old and I really want to get it fixed.

I don't know how to shorten the file name. It currently is: C:/Users/Admin/Documents/Quicken the Backup file is the same with /Backup at the end.

Maybe at the end of the year I should quit this Quicken version, delete it from my computer and start all over again with a new version of Quicken? This way it won't have any of the memory from the old version. But I find it hard to believe that we can't fix it now. I just want it to remember my entries!
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    mikeh said:
    I downloaded the latest version of Quicken and installed it. It said that it would remove the old version, save my data and put it in the new version. This did not correct the problem. Rebooting Windows does not help; this problem has been existing for at least two years, maybe longer. It is getting very old and I really want to get it fixed.

I don't know how to shorten the file name. It currently is: C:/Users/Admin/Documents/Quicken the Backup file is the same with /Backup at the end.

Maybe at the end of the year I should quit this Quicken version, delete it from my computer and start all over again with a new version of Quicken? This way it won't have any of the memory from the old version. But I find it hard to believe that we can't fix it now. I just want it to remember my entries!
    You're confusing a path to a folder with the name of a file. 

To rename your data file, open File Explorer, navigate to the Quicken folder, and select the data file, press F2, and enter the new name:

This discussion has been closed.