Quicken affecting my laptop shutdown

Durk Piersma
Durk Piersma Member ✭✭
After a recent update I noticed problems with Quicken's functionability. I downloaded the most recent update and that seems to have solved the functionability problems I was having but I noticed a strange phenomenon. When I load Quicken, use it and shut it down and then shutdown Win10, it takes 8 min 29 sec for the disk access light to finally stop and the laptop to finally close down.
When I reboot, load and close my bowsers, load and close my MS Outlook, load and close various miscellaneous programs, return to my desktop and shutdown, it takes 10 seconds.
As soon as I load and close Quicken, it takes 8 min 30 sec to shutdown the laptop.
The disk access light is burning steadily while it's trying to shutdown - almost like the disk is doing a scan. I have an SSD (500Gb) for programs and 1Tb spinning hd for data so I am used to EVERYTHING happening quickly but this is something I have only noticed recently after a recent update to Quicken.

Anyone have any ideas???

Comments

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file? Do you have Controlled Folder Access enabled in Windows Defender? Are you using OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Backup?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Durk Piersma
    Durk Piersma Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Thanks for the quick reply, Greg. I re-edited the original question with more info and more accurate shutdown times.
    My Quicken data file is located on my spinning 1Tb drive - "D:\Documents\Quicken".
    I am not familiar with the controlled Folder Access in Windows Defender. In fact I am not using Windows Defender. Instead I am using Webroot Secure Anywhere as my antivirus.
    I am not using OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Backup...
  • Durk Piersma
    Durk Piersma Member ✭✭
    I am using Windows 10 1903 build 18362.418 and STILL having problems with Quicken Premier 2019. Can anyone tell me if I can download and install several versions prior where I was not having problems????
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    I am using Windows 10 1903 build 18362.418 and STILL having problems with Quicken Premier 2019. Can anyone tell me if I can download and install several versions prior where I was not having problems????
    To revert to an earlier release, I suggest you perform a clean uninstall, install while disconnected from the internet, update by applying the appropriate Mondo Patch, and restore a data file saved prior to updating from the earlier patch release.  If you haven’t already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken. To update Quicken, I recommend you download and apply the appropriate Mondo Patch: https://www.quicken.com/support/patching-updates-windows or http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatches.html
    To prevent Quicken from applying an update without your approval, I suggest you set Windows UAC settings appropriately (choose default or always notify).

• Durk Piersma
    Durk Piersma Member ✭✭
    Well, it seems I have solved my Quicken issues on my own. I run Quicken on my Dell Laptop that has a Samsung 850 EVO 500Gb SSD as "C:" drive and a 1Tb Toshiba spinning hard disk as "D:" drive. For years I ran Quicken on the SSD and used the traditional hd as the repository for the data file. I "designated" my documents directory as a folder on "D:" drive.
    Well, about 2 months ago, I started running into problems with Quicken having slowdown issues. No update fixed the problem.
    THE PROBLEM WAS SOLVED WHEN I MOVED THE DATA FILE BACK TO THE "C:" DRIVE. Seems that a Quicken update broke the ability for the program to work freely with a data file on another drive.
    Sooo, that's the way I will run it...

Just thought I would let you know....
  • Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I run my data file on a separate drive with no problems.  Given your “slowdown”, any chance your D drive is failing?
    Quicken Premier Subscription, Windows 10 Home
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only disk-writing Q should be doing at shutdown is performing an automatic backup. This writes to the BACKUP subfolder of the Q data folder, and the bigger your file, the longer it takes, especially if you have many attachments.

Drives are usually very reliable - until they’re not. Run CHKDSK and/or your favorite diagnostics on the D drive and maybe that will show something.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
This discussion has been closed.