Reconciled transactions spontaneously unreconciled

First I want to point out that this was never solved:
https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7851069/some-previously-reconciled-transactions-show-up-as-unreconciled

This problem had disappeared for a few months when I moved across the country and opened a new bank account (closed a previous account), and now it's happening again in the new bank account.

I have attached an image that will be self-explanatory.

Above all else, I would just ask that everyone (especially Quicken employees) please listen to themselves before they suggest that I must have accidentally changed (or deleted) a previously reconciled transaction. That simply doesn't happen by accident, and if it did, the Quicken confirmation dialogues safeguard against it.

I am also not going to rebuild new data files. Already tried that, it didn't work. I'm also not going to upgrade to Quicken 2019 because those using 2019 software are experiencing the same issue. This issue has been present since 2008 or possibly before that.

Quicken developers who sync their bank accounts with Quicken may not necessarily be able to duplicate this problem. I do not sync with any banks - I use Quicken the same way I did 20 years ago. Manual entry of transactions, manual reconciliation with paper bank/credit card statements, and printing of reports at the end of the year for doing taxes. That's it.

It shouldn't be asking too much to ask a developer to try doing this themselves for 1-2 years straight, because this is what any basic business / recordkeeping class teaches you to do anyway. The "cost" of doing this is that you learn that you don't just trust banks to get it right, you take control of things and track every transaction that takes place.

Not only that, but what does it say about accounting software that can't remember if a transaction is reconciled or not? This is a big problem for accounting software to have.
Tagged:

Comments

• Chad115
    Chad115 Member ✭✭
    Wow, I must say this forum itself is buggier than the Quicken software is. I was literally just typing the word "unreconcile" into the field for tags (after having just added "reconcile" as a tag) and the forum spontaneously posted my message without any confirmation or anything. (It's a good thing my message was ready for posting!) I did not click on "Post Comment" and my fingers were nowhere near the TAB, SHIFT or any other keys that should have triggered some sort of "auto-post" function.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please provide the year and version of Quicken being used: select Help > About Quicken

From the Reconcile window you provided, it appears there are only two transactions in the register prior to October 28th that have not cleared and the Difference is nil.  I suspect there may be transactions in the register that explain what you're seeing.  For example, perhaps Honda payment transaction was entered twice.
  • Chad115
    Chad115 Member ✭✭
    Ok. I think you are right.

So from there, I have a feature request: could Quicken put a "check for possible errors" button on the reconcile window... and at the very least the button would just look for payees who seem to be paid once every X days or Y months over the long run, and check to see if there are any anomalies in the patterns it finds:

"Did you intend to pay Payee X twice during this transaction period?"
    "Did you intend not to pay Payee Y at all during this transaction period?"

It could also of course look for dollar amounts that show patterns of being the same but suddenly vary during this transaction period.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    How do you record payment (transfer) transactions in Quicken?
    Do you use scheduled loan payment transfer transaction reminders and enter those before the due date, before these transactions appear in a download?
    Or do you just download transactions and accept them automatically into your registers, hoping that Quicken will be able to create proper transfer transaction pairs without tripping all over itself?
    For best results, my recommendation is to always record transactions involving transfers, like loan or credit card payments, into your registers a few days before the due date. This should eliminate the possibility of downloaded transactions creating duplicates or other errors.

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chad115 said:
    Ok. I think you are right.

So from there, I have a feature request: could Quicken put a "check for possible errors" button on the reconcile window... and at the very least the button would just look for payees who seem to be paid once every X days or Y months over the long run, and check to see if there are any anomalies in the patterns it finds:

"Did you intend to pay Payee X twice during this transaction period?"
    "Did you intend not to pay Payee Y at all during this transaction period?"

It could also of course look for dollar amounts that show patterns of being the same but suddenly vary during this transaction period.
    If you aren't already, I suggest you use reminders to enter regular scheduled transactions: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-handle-bill-and-income-reminders-are-due
  • Pat Claud
    Pat Claud Member ✭✭
    I have the same problem where the reconciliation is finished but when i look at the transactions, they are not R but back to "c". then it changes the ending (beginning for next month) balance when i go in and move it to R. this is not a user error, it has happened several months in a row. I first noticed it when i reconciled and prior reconciled transactions showed up. I then reconciled the current month, had to force it done because of issues with the prior month, and I checked again and transactions marked checked on reconciliation window were open (c) again. I have balance this one manually because it is cash account in my investment portfolio. So I think the person who mentioned manual reconciliation is onto something that there is a bug in the manual reconciliation. One difference is I import my transactions, just can't auto reconcile.
  • This is third time this has happened, so I know there's something wrong with the data. The first time, I just corrected each transaction manually, thinking maybe I had done something wrong. Last time my whole file was a mess, so I restored from a backup and luckily had a minimum of work to do. This time, I'm roughly $9,000 off at start of reconciling my checking account. Status has simply changed on some previously reconciled transactions. There seems to be no pattern as to which ones are unreconciled.
    I manually enter transactions so there's no import snafu. I do notice that Quicken enters Print into the Check # column. I never have and don't intend to ever print checks from Q, so looked for a setting to turn this off. Could this be a factor?
    Thanks for any help!!
  • I have the same issue and here is what I have done to try to resolve.

I have a credit card payment that was made in late October (10/25/19). I reconciled the transaction at that time and all was good. However, since that time, any time I download new transactions, that transaction is no longer marked as (R)econciled. It shows up in the reconcilation report and if I select it, then all my transactions are marked as reconciled and the account is balanced.

However, the next time I download transactions, that ONE transaction shows up again as not being (R)econciled as do any new transactions that are downloaded.

I have:

Deleted and recreated the transaction (more than one time)
    Removed the automated download of transactions from my bank (USAA)
    Validated the file (no errors)

There are no transfers involved
    There is a PDF attachment (receipt for the item)
    There is a full Category for the item
    There is a memo line for the item

Quicken Home, Business, Rental Property v 2020 R23.14 27.1.23.14

It's annoying but not the end of the world, but I would hate to see this issue across multiple accounts.

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated -

Charley
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you gone through the file validation process?
    (File > File Operations > Copy... and then, using the copied file, selecting Validate and Repair.) 
    Having prior transactions changing from reconciled to unreconciled and getting that "Print" action automatically entered in your register, (does that happen with every transaction?), suggests an underlying data corruption problem to me.
  • I don't have the print issue, but as noted in my post, I did validate the file.
  • Tom -- Thanks for your reply. Sorry I didn't respond immediately. I went through the Validation and Repair as you directed and I still have the same issue. The Print action is sporadic, with no apparent rhyme or reason.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is an important facet missing from the posts reporting a problem -- What version of Quicken?

It appears the OP was using QW2017 which I believe still has at least remnants of the 'click-through' problem.  When people talk about strange changes to Print status particularly, I get suspicious that way.  May also apply on the Clr status but that is usually safeguarded a little better.  
  • While the OP didn't provide that detail - I provided full details and continue to have this issue.
  • Chad115
    Chad115 Member ✭✭
    Sorry, it seems Quicken employees changed my forum account somehow. I wasn't getting e-mail notifications of replies. When I logged into this forum, it forced me to create a new password and I now have a new username that I never picked myself.

To answer the question, I am using Quicken 2017.
  • Chad115
    Chad115 Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    > @UKR said:
    > How do you record payment (transfer) transactions in Quicken?
    > Do you use scheduled loan payment transfer transaction reminders and enter those before the due date, before these transactions appear in a download?
    > Or do you just download transactions and accept them automatically into your registers, hoping that Quicken will be able to create proper transfer transaction pairs without tripping all over itself?For best results, my recommendation is to always record transactions involving transfers, like loan or credit card payments, into your registers a few days before the due date. This should eliminate the possibility of downloaded transactions creating duplicates or other errors.

I don't download any transactions, ever. I don't sync Quicken with any financial institutions. I would be overjoyed if Quicken reverted back to the way it was in 2003.

When I pay off a credit card, I enter it into Quicken (using the "TXFR" code, from my bank checking account to the credit card account) as soon as I schedule the bill to be paid with my online bill pay (which I access from my bank's website and my web browser). This usually happens 2-3 weeks before the payment is mailed. I do not use any reminders in Quicken, and I don't do any recurring payments.
  • Chad115
    Chad115 Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    > @Sherlock said:
    > (Quote)
    > If you aren't already, I suggest you use reminders to enter regular scheduled transactions: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-handle-bill-and-income-reminders-are-due

Actually I already get reminders in the form of e-mails from credit card companies, paper statements/bills, and/or my bank's online bill pay. Believe it or not, what you're suggesting actually makes the problem worse, because remember my problem above was that I had inputted a transaction twice. Getting a duplicate reminder from Quicken (in addition to the reminders I already get via e-mail) would create a nightmare of always having to check to see if I already paid something once I get the reminder. Once in a while I already pay things twice as evidenced above (i.e. maybe I forgot to delete the e-mail when I paid the first time), but 99.9% of the time I catch it when I reconcile. This time I was just an freaking idiot and somehow missed the duplicate.

The only bills I need reminders for are bills that don't get e-mailed or mailed every month, such as various rental scenarios. In those cases I submit a half year's worth of payments in advance with my bank's online bill pay and record all of them into Quicken. Then I set a reminder in my iPhone to input more transactions in another 6 months.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chad115 said:
    > @Sherlock said:
    > (Quote)
    > If you aren't already, I suggest you use reminders to enter regular scheduled transactions: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-handle-bill-and-income-reminders-are-due

Actually I already get reminders in the form of e-mails from credit card companies, paper statements/bills, and/or my bank's online bill pay. Believe it or not, what you're suggesting actually makes the problem worse, because remember my problem above was that I had inputted a transaction twice. Getting a duplicate reminder from Quicken (in addition to the reminders I already get via e-mail) would create a nightmare of always having to check to see if I already paid something once I get the reminder. Once in a while I already pay things twice as evidenced above (i.e. maybe I forgot to delete the e-mail when I paid the first time), but 99.9% of the time I catch it when I reconcile. This time I was just an freaking idiot and somehow missed the duplicate.

The only bills I need reminders for are bills that don't get e-mailed or mailed every month, such as various rental scenarios. In those cases I submit a half year's worth of payments in advance with my bank's online bill pay and record all of them into Quicken. Then I set a reminder in my iPhone to input more transactions in another 6 months.

Quicken reminders are not emails.   We use them in Quicken to enter all of our regular transactions so we never enter the same transaction twice.  When a reminder transaction is entered, the next due date of the reminder is automatically reset which easily enables us to recognize whether a bill has already been entered and paid.  
This discussion has been closed.