QUICKEN CANADA Deluxe Missing blue dot in account list when downloading

Just recently updated to Quicken Deluxe Canada and the update seems to have disabled the blue dot that normally shows beside the account name to signify that there are downloaded transactions to review . The blue dots do show on the individual transactions in the registers, but there is no blue dot on the account to direct your attention to a specific account. All accounts are through TD Canada Trust.

I can't seem to find any mention of this in recent posts....any thoughts?

Thanks!!

Comments

• Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator mod
    Hello @willi1

Thank you for taking the time to share the details of this issue with the Community, although I apologize that you have not yet received a response.

If you are still experiencing issues with the Blue Dot icon appearing in the Account List bar that goes down either the left or right side of Quicken, please let us know which version and release of Quicken you are using (Help > About Quicken).

If you haven't already, I would first recommend closing and re-opening Quicken.

If the icon still doesn't appear and you haven't already, please next restart your computer.

Once restarted, if the icon still doesn't appear, I would recommend running the Validate & Repair tool on the Quicken data file.  

To do so, go to the File menu > File Operations > Validate & Repair option.  In the window that opens, mark the top box to "Validate file" and click OK.

When the process completes, a data log will open in Notepad, this just details what, if anything, was found during the process.  When you are ready this file can be closed and then please close and re-open Quicken.

Please let us know how it goes and if the blue dot icon still doesn't appear.

Thank you,

Sarah
  • willi1
    willi1 Member ✭✭✭
    version and release of Quicken Windows Deluxe 2019 Canada R22.11

I have done everything you have suggested. Just downloaded again to check...no blue dot in Account List Bar, but there are blue dots in the register for downloaded transactions.
  • willi1
    willi1 Member ✭✭✭
    Any further thoughts, Sarah?
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello Willi1,

Thank you for the response, although I apologize that you haven't received a follow-up answer.

If you haven't already, I would recommend using the QcleanUI to uninstall and reinstall Quicken to see if this remedies the issue.

The steps for QcleanUI can be found here.

Please respond back to let us know how it goes!

Thank you,
    -Quicken Tyka 
    ~~~***~~~
  • willi1
    willi1 Member ✭✭✭
    Hello Tyka
    Unfortunately, that did not resolve the issue.
  • willi1
    willi1 Member ✭✭✭
    I notice that this post says it is 'Answered'...that is incorrect.

In case it helps, I have just sent my connlog and ofx logs in under Ticket number T1IN - 7170768 with regard to further issues of not being able to download credit card from TD bank for the last few days. I don't know if it will help on our issue of the mysterious blue dots, but there it is in case it helps.

To be clear the blue dot issue was with all accounts, not just the credit card.

I assume this post, will be changed to not read 'answered'.

Thank you
  • rsevenhuysen
    rsevenhuysen Member ✭✭
    Did this ever get resolved? I've been working around the missing blue dots for months now, and would love to see it working the way it used to again.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @willi1 @rsevenhuysen

I just got on this site so forgive the delay.

Are you using Web Connect as in importing a QFX file?

From what I understand very few Canadian financial institution support Express Web Connect so this should be pretty common.

There has been a bug in Quicken for years where if you download a QFX file the blue dot never shows up. Note this is common to the US version too, and that is why I know about it.

One of the main reasons this bug isn't reported more is because all the SuperUsers/most beta testers turn off the "automatically entry transactions" mode and to top it off for the US version it is far less likely they will be using Web Connect since they can usually use Express Web Connect or Direct Connect.

And whenever people are having any kinds of problems like this the SuperUsers immediately suggest turning that mode off.
    Edit -> Preferences -> Automatically add to banking registers.

And I guess that is enough that Quicken Inc doesn't think it is a problem that needs any priority to fix it.

With this mode off you will instead see a red flag and you will be accepting your transactions into the register using a Downloaded Transaction tab at the bottom of the register.

Note it is interesting that Quicken actually does something like this when processing the downloaded transactions. First as it processes the transactions for the register you see the red flag, this must be when it puts it in the "Downloaded Transactions tab" (which is hidden in automatic transaction entry mode) then shortly after that it seems to push the transactions into the register. It is at this point when using Express Web Connect or Direct Connect that the blue dot is displayed, but for Web Connect/QFX file it isn't shown.

My theory of why it is in fact it is turned on, but is cleared so fast you don't see it.

Normally when using the US version they are using One Step Update, which can be run where the user isn't any register. So as the accounts are processed the red flag and then the blue dot can be seen. But as soon as you go to an account with a blue dot, the blue dot is cleared.

So what I think is happening is that when using Web Connect the program somehow thinks it is in that account, and as such as soon as it puts up the blue dot it then clears it. The same thing happens with One Step Update if the user is already in an account that is going to get a blue dot.

Note that the criteria for clearing the red flag in "non automatic entry mode" is different. It gets cleared when the user accepts the transactions into the register not when the user first goes to the register.

BTW if you use non automatic entry mode to accept your transactions into the register you should select each transaction in turn in the Downloaded Transactions tab and verify that it OK before accepting it. You shouldn't just use the Accept All button. The main reason for this is because unlike in automatic entry mode where you can see all the transactions and what categories they have, you can only see one transaction at a time and make sure its category is correct. The accepting of the transaction into the register is the equivalent of the "review" in automatic transaction mode.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.