BMO Bank of Montreal error OL-221-A - QWin (updated title)

Answers

• clamptownclamptown Member ✭✭
    Note that the last line must be </OFX> (don't forget the /).
  • Ian SutherlandIan Sutherland Member ✭✭
    thanks to maple_leafs_67 and gersom I edited my QFX file using wordpad. Note to gersom, the correct letters to add are “</OFX>” (you missed the leading less than symbol in your description)

This is a PITA but it will work until BMO gets their act together, sloppy testing before rolling out new code I expect.

May thanks for the work around
  • aricardaricard Member
    Receiving an OL-221-A error message when trying to down load transactions from BMO starting Sat
  • rye3142rye3142 Member ✭✭
    I am also having this problem.
  • awsaws Member ✭✭
    I am having the same problem. I first noticed it on Sunday Nov 3, 2019. What is up?
  • awsaws Member ✭✭
    Gersom: I opened the file with MSWord and made the change but can't re-save it as a QFX file. How do you do that task?
  • clamptownclamptown Member ✭✭
    You could save it as a TXT file, then rename the extension to QFX. Alternately, open the QFX file with Notepad, make the change, then save it (will retain the QFX extension).
  • MissMewMissMew Member
    I had this issue and had to set up Web Connect to download my transactions. This worked fine for my Canadian $ accounts. I was able to link the "discovered" accounts with my existing registers. However, I was NOT able to link either my US$ account or my US$ Mastercard. Has any body else had this problem? NOTE: I would rather use the old download method for everything if I cannot link the US$ accounts.
  • bbartonbbarton Member ✭✭
    edited November 5
    > @gersom said:
    > I have found a temporary fix. Thanks to maple_leafs_67 sleuthing I opened my .qfx file and saw the offending line at the bottom of the file (I used Wordpad but Notepad should work too.) I then added the missing letters "OFX>", saved it, and then double clicked the file. Quicken then updated the information properly. This work-around does the job but BMO has to fix their end of the issue.

I have done the same thing and it worked. Thank you. Interesting find, when I downloaded my Mastercard, it had the </OFX> at the end...…

Also, BMO responded to me with the following which we all know is not the right fix. I will be responding with what the temp fix is and see what they say:

Thank you for contacting BMO Bank of Montreal about downloading your transactions with Quicken.

I recognize the inconvenience caused by this situation and I want you to know I'm here to help.

At BMO, we know it's important to have 24/7 access to your accounts without interruption. As you are currently experiencing complications when attempting to download your transactions in BMO Online Banking, I recommend clearing your browser's cache or cookies.

For detailed instructions on how to clear these files from your browser, please visit the "Help Centre" which is located on our Online Banking sign in page. You can also refer to your browser's Help section to locate similar instructions.

Once you have completed clearing these files, please restart your browser and sign into Online Banking again.

If you continue to encounter difficulty after trying this, please write to us again through "My Messages" and we will escalate the issue to our technical team for investigation. To allow us to do so effectively, we would require the following information:

1. Which Operating System are you using?
    2. Which browser are you currently using?
    3. Which version of your current browser is currently installed?
    4. What was the date of the first occurrence?
    5. Have you tried attempting the same action using a different browser? If so, was it successful?
    6. Have you tried attempting the same action using an alternate computer? If so, was it successful?
    7. Please copy and paste the error message (including the error code), if received

I trust the information I have provided proves helpful, Mr. Barton.

If you have any questions, please contact us again. Thank you for choosing BMO Bank of Montreal.
  • Tony CamposTony Campos Member
    has anyone head from Quicken that they are engaged with BMO to get this fixed? It's not only the downloading files issue, if you update the accounts via "One Step Update" it's also not working.
    Quicken needs to step up and provide an Status and updates.
    We pay for a service and have the service running is their responsibility.
  • > @bbarton said:
    > > @gersom said:
    > > I have found a temporary fix. Thanks to maple_leafs_67 sleuthing I opened my .qfx file and saw the offending line at the bottom of the file (I used Wordpad but Notepad should work too.) I then added the missing letters "OFX>", saved it, and then double clicked the file. Quicken then updated the information properly. This work-around does the job but BMO has to fix their end of the issue.
    >
    > I have done the same thing and it worked. Thank you. Interesting find, when I downloaded my Mastercard, it had the </OFX> at the end...…
    >
    > Also, BMO responded to me with the following which we all know is not the right fix. I will be responding with what the temp fix is and see what they say:
    >
    >
    > Thank you for contacting BMO Bank of Montreal about downloading your transactions with Quicken.
    >
    > I recognize the inconvenience caused by this situation and I want you to know I'm here to help.
    >
    > At BMO, we know it's important to have 24/7 access to your accounts without interruption. As you are currently experiencing complications when attempting to download your transactions in BMO Online Banking, I recommend clearing your browser's cache or cookies.
    >
    > For detailed instructions on how to clear these files from your browser, please visit the "Help Centre" which is located on our Online Banking sign in page. You can also refer to your browser's Help section to locate similar instructions.
    >
    > Once you have completed clearing these files, please restart your browser and sign into Online Banking again.
    >
    > If you continue to encounter difficulty after trying this, please write to us again through "My Messages" and we will escalate the issue to our technical team for investigation. To allow us to do so effectively, we would require the following information:
    >
    > 1. Which Operating System are you using?
    > 2. Which browser are you currently using?
    > 3. Which version of your current browser is currently installed?
    > 4. What was the date of the first occurrence?
    > 5. Have you tried attempting the same action using a different browser? If so, was it successful?
    > 6. Have you tried attempting the same action using an alternate computer? If so, was it successful?
    > 7. Please copy and paste the error message (including the error code), if received
    >
    > I trust the information I have provided proves helpful, Mr. Barton.
    >
    > If you have any questions, please contact us again. Thank you for choosing BMO Bank of Montreal.

I got this same response from BMO on Monday and have heard nothing since.
  • Ian SutherlandIan Sutherland Member ✭✭
    I sent a similar message to BMO yesterday, outlining the edit needed to fix the file. I have yet to see a reply. With people handing them the solution this should be a no-brainer for them to fix. I agree that Quicken could likely get their attention better than any of us. Anyone at Quicken following this?
  • ol-221-a when i download.. just started happening on monday.
  • Robon11Robon11 Member
    Bank telling me they've upgraded their servers and some people got blown out, sorry for your loss, we're working on it,, yeah right ! qfx files are not working and cannot be read.
  • bofoster58bofoster58 Member
    I am getting an error OL-221-A when I try to download my BMO bank account. The credit card works fine. I started a chat with your on line help and they "blew me off" and said that I had to talk to the bank. I called the bank customer service line and they have no idea what I am talking about. Who can help? I saw discussion about the same issue with Vanguard.
  • Dave437Dave437 Member ✭✭
    On the 5th they seemed completely oblivious that there was a problem.
  • ACAC Member ✭✭
    Trying to update accounts and receiving "Error Code CC-501"
    have followed suggestions and still having problem (Bank of Montreal)

Also, getting error message trying to download directly from BMO.

"Quicken is unable to complete your request [OL-221-A] "
    [OL-221-b]

spoke to the bank directly and no resolution.
  • TPWNTPWN Member
    For the last week or so after downloading my transactions from BMO, I get a pop up saying that Quicken is unable to complete request [OL-221-A].
    [OL-221-B]

Can someone help with this please.
  • DejDej Member
    Yep, same problem with BMO downloads of bank transactions.
    The work around makes my eyes cross.
    Could Quicken maybe deal with BMO and get it fixed since, as someone before me mentioned, we pay Quicken for a service that isn't working.
    This is the latest response I have gotten from BMO:

"Thank you for contacting BMO Bank of Montreal.

I appreciate your concern about your transaction history download files. Due to a recent update with our servers, third party apps may have lost their authentication for some customers. This is usually cleared up on its own in a couple of days. I can also recommend clearing you cookies and cache in the mean time so both systems are able to read each others new information.

If you have any questions, please contact us again. Thank you for choosing BMO Bank of Montreal."

They keep referring back to clearing the cache, However, I do not have the same issue with downloading my transactions for my Mastercard.

Can someone from Quicken's debunk this Cache theory they keep promoting?
    edited November 7
    I’ve posted on fb to BMO financial group page and got this immediate update from them. Hopefully it will be resolved sooner than later

Thank you for reaching out to us. We are aware of this issue are currently working on a fix. In the meantime you can still manually download your transactions from your BMO online baking session. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you and we appreciate your understanding.
    ^BDS
  • valerie.duboisvalerie.dubois Member ✭✭
    for a week, I've been experiencing an issue with downloads from BMO. It started just after they were offline for maintenance.
    downloads through one-step works, but the downloads do not work when initiated through BMO (which is my preference since it allows me to control which accounts are updating)
    I get an error that says "Quicken is unable to complete your request [OL-221-A], and at the bottom of the popup it says [OL-221-B]
  • fiskerfisker Member
    I was doing transaction downloads on November 4th, which I had alway done using Web Connect. I successully downloaded the files, but received errors when Quicken tried to import them - I received from BMO - OL 220 and OL 221.

In an effort to get around the error and 'update' my connection I converted the accounts in question to the One Step Update. It didnt seem to work and now I get connection errors. I followed the troubleshooting recommendations - Ie waiting a couple of days and doing the account reset. I am getting a message that basically says it cant connect to my bank.

I am using the subscription version of Quicken and am at the most recent release.

Is anyone else having issues with BMO?
  • SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quicken user since 1997
    Premier on Windows 10
  • > @bbarton said:
    > I’ve posted on fb to BMO financial group page and got this immediate update from them. Hopefully it will be resolved sooner than later
    >
    > Thank you for reaching out to us. We are aware of this issue are currently working on a fix. In the meantime you can still manually download your transactions from your BMO online baking session. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you and we appreciate your understanding.
    > ^BDS

I just got this response on the BMO Online banking website:
    "Thank you for contacting BMO Bank of Montreal.

I appreciate the time you have taken to write to us with further details.

I wish to assure you that our technical team is aware of this issue and are confident that we will soon be able to resolve it.

As a workaround in the interim, you can download your monthly statements from Online Banking. To view, download and print your eStatements, please follow these steps:
    1. Select your bank account from the My Accounts tab
    2. Select the "View eStatements" link from the menu on the left side of the page
    3. Select the date of the statement you require

I hope the information I've provided is helpful and thank you for your patience as we work towards a resolution.

If you have any questions, please contact us again. Thank you for choosing BMO Bank of Montreal."

Sure doesn't sound like they are planning on resolving it quickly.

Have a question -- how do I download to a file -- my downloads automatically go to Quicken and update
    (when and if it's working)
    Accepted Answer
    > @Sue Hoople Lucas said:
    > > @bbarton said:
    > >
    > Have a question -- how do I download to a file -- my downloads automatically go to Quicken and update
    > (when and if it's working)

Hey Sue, you have an option to save the file instead of opening it when you click on download in BMO online. It will save it to your downloading folder, from there, you can use notepad or wordpad to open and edit the file

Hope that helps and answers your question?
  • > @bbarton said:
    > > @Sue Hoople Lucas said:
    > > > @bbarton said:
    > > >
    > > Have a question -- how do I download to a file -- my downloads automatically go to Quicken and update
    > > (when and if it's working)
    >
    > Hey Sue, you have an option to save the file instead of opening it when you click on download in BMO online. It will save it to your downloading folder, from there, you can use notepad or wordpad to open and edit the file
    >
    > Hope that helps and answers your question?
    >

Yes, thanks. Actually I use Google Chrome and the only option is to download to Quicken and that automatically does the deed -- no file visible. I just use Edge and got the file and added to end line and was able to sync that way.
  • James FlynnJames Flynn Member
    I am getting the following error message "Quicken is unable to complete your request (OL-221-A)" when I attempt to download directly from my bank. This has just started as of the beginning of Nov. my version of quicken is Build: 27.1.22.11 Edition: Canada.
    I am able to download my credit card transactions from the same bank web site with no issue. This has me stumped. is there a fix for the issue?
  • pjhealy77pjhealy77 Member ✭✭
    Have had same problem. It's BMO's issue only with chequing and savings files. Quicken support has sent them a ticket to fix. Others have reported same problem. Apparently, BMO is not closing the file properly.
This discussion has been closed.