BMO Bank of Montreal error OL-221-A - QWin (updated title)

Answers

• jgordjgord Member
    did the suggested text edit and successfully imported the file.
    good catch maple leafs.
  • aaronaaron Member
    OL-221-A Error - updates from a community user.

First of all, kudos to maple_leafs_67 for your efforts. I may be duplicating your work, but squeakier the wheel, the quicker the grease comes.

Nov 6: I contacted BMO customer service via telephone and explained the problem as best I could including maple_leafs_67's fix.
    Nov 7: They asked me to send a sample "corrupted" qfx file, which I did.
    Nov 8: They sent back a "corrected version" for me to try, which I did (successfully...duh...I gave them the maple_leaf fix). I let them know that int worked.

So the good news is, _someone_ in the IT department at BMO has successfully figured it out the problem and the solution.

The question now is, will they fix it for everyone? or just regurgitate the maple_leaf fix back to me/us?
  • fiskerfisker Member
    I suspect BMO will be like any other large IT organization, particularly a financial institution where changes - even ones that seem minor from the outside - have to go thru a multi step change process that involves progression thru testing environments/gates, scheduling and then implementing.

Very likely a large, complex environment with multiple security levels (for our protection) - so expecting an immediate fix is likely wishful thinking.
  • Suzanne HudonSuzanne Hudon Member
    edited November 8
    The alert said problem fixed thru Vangard?? I am BMO and still having problems. Will not be able to use Quicken at all until fixed.
  • ps56kps56k SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    A few details would help - 
    Have you setup the BMO account in Quicken and ready to go -
    Are you having an issue with downloading from BMO using Quicken One Step Update -
    Quicken 2020 Deluxe - Subscription - Windows 10
  • Hi there! Sorry new to the community I Have had the same bank and Quicken for many years - I went to do a download the other date at the the OL-221-A message. Thought might be an issue with my bank so waited and tried again the next day - then I sent the note to Quicken. I went online to today and it said issue fixed But I still cannot download. I think I have the one step but not sure I tied it to all my accounts. Hope this helps
  • I had an issue recently as well where Quicken suddenly stopped being able to read the Bank of Montreal Checking account QFX file. I saw a fix to change the last line of the file from "<" to "<QFX>"... which worked for me. I sent a note to BMO and others have as well so hopefully they will fix it soon.
  • Paul_SPaul_S Member
    Had the same issue as Scott, could not download the BMO Transactions but could download the BMO MasterCard Transactions. Saved the QFX files for both downloads and copied the last line of the MasterCard QFX file looked like this </OFX> and pasted into the last line of the BMO Transactions QFX file, then imported it into Quicken and that worked for me. Hope this helps
  • gregneffgregneff Member
    > @maple_leafs_67 said:
    > I compared the recent failing BMO QFX file against my last known BMO QFX file that worked on October 16. I noticed the recent failing BMO QFX file has a malformed terminating tag at the bottom of the file. “<“ should be “</OFX>”. This appears to be a bug related to BMO’s online banking download feature.

I confirm that correcting the last tag to "</OFX>" from "<" is a good workaround.
  • Ken PearceKen Pearce Member
    I am having the same issue from BMO. I've been using Quicken and BMO accounts and they've been syncing for years.
    Any ideas as to when this might be resolved?
  • John BrownJohn Brown Member ✭✭
    I did the same modification to the qfx file and it worked. I also sent a message to BMO telling them to get this fixed asap, and that they had already been made aware of this problem a while back. This should have been corrected within 24 hours of them being advised.
  • John BrownJohn Brown Member ✭✭
    See this thread for the workaround. I modified the qfx file with Notepad after changing the extension, then changed the extension back to qfx and opened it in Quicken. My BMO account was updated.
    I made sure that the export covered the missing period and I saved the file, not opened it.
  • BigPete3BigPete3 Member
    OL-221-A message just started on all my accounts 2 days ago after years of working fine. I don't see any solutions in the Community but I do see others have this problem too. Need a fix for it.
  • CarjaCarja Member
    How do I save the downloaded file from BMO in order to fix the qfx file. I am receiving the "Unable to read the selected web connect file" but I didn't receive an error number. I am using Mac V 10.13.6 and Quicken V 5.13.2 (Canada) I don't receive an option to "save" the file.
  • Bob AwreyBob Awrey Member ✭✭
    Ditto BigPete3. Bank of Montreal takes no ownership of this problem/issue!
  • gfink4122gfink4122 Member
    Same bank here. Hopefully a fix goes in soon.
  • Quicken_TykaQuicken_Tyka Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your issue although I apologize that you haven't received a response.

If you are still needing help with OL-221-A error please take a moment to review the steps and information available here.

If you are using Web Connect or Direct Connect you will need to contact your financial institution to resolve this issue.

To confirm the connection type navigate to Tools > Account List, find the affected account(s), and confirm the connection type in parentheses in the Transaction Download column. 

Thank you,
    -Quicken Tyka
    -Quicken Tyka
  • ABA-ONTABA-ONT Member
    I am not able to web download my BMO bank account information since upgrading. It worked perfectly before. Now I get this message every time.
  • sbdknssbdkns Member
    I am getting an OL-221-A error when trying to download account activity from BMO Canada
  • ColinGruchyColinGruchy Member ✭✭
    I reported this to BMO on November 2. I quickly realized the file was corrupt, ending with < instead of </OFX>. I have been manually editing and running the files since with no issue. On November 9 I received another message from BMO stating that the problem is still not fixed:

Thank you for contacting BMO Bank of Montreal.

I appreciate the time you have taken to follow-up with us. Please be assured that this matter is still being investigated while we work to resolve the issue.

Mr. Gruchy, thank you for your continued patience.

If you have any questions, please contact us again. Thank you for choosing BMO Bank of Montreal.
  • ulinergulinerg Member ✭✭
    > @ColinGruchy said:
    > I reported this to BMO on November 2. I quickly realized the file was corrupt, ending with < instead of </OFX>. I have been manually editing and running the files since with no issue. On November 9 I received another message from BMO stating that the problem is still not fixed:
    >
    > Thank you for contacting BMO Bank of Montreal.
    >
    > I appreciate the time you have taken to follow-up with us. Please be assured that this matter is still being investigated while we work to resolve the issue.
    >
    > Mr. Gruchy, thank you for your continued patience.
    >
    > If you have any questions, please contact us again. Thank you for choosing BMO Bank of Montreal.

I tried this morning and the problem is still there. I was hoping that BMO would role out a fix over the weekend. It is common for large companies to do their patching early on Sunday mornings.
    Meanwhile I used the workaround that maple_leafs_67 (thanks for that) came up with and all is good for now.
  • Bob AwreyBob Awrey Member ✭✭
    Just off the phone with BMO and after advising me as to how I'm required to change the OFX extension with various hieroglyphics (</>, etc) by first saving the file to Notepad, I said, "I'm out of here!" BUT a bit of a resolution in that BMO is aware of the problem and is working on it. When I asked when I could expect the solution, she said, "Shortly." I'm NOT holding my breath on that but I'm confident it will be resolved. IMT, manuel here we go!!!
  • wrapperwrapper Member
    edited November 12
    It took a long time to get through, wish I found this thread earlier.. Needed
    </OFX> at the end of the file.

[removed] you BMO.
  • j.patter62j.patter62 Member ✭✭
    > @"Quicken Sarah" said:
    > Hello All,
    >
    > Thank you for taking the time to report this error to the Community, although I apologize for any frustration or inconvenience experienced.
    >
    > A OL-221-A error when importing a Web Connect file indicates an error in the data that is preventing Quicken from reading the data correctly.
    >
    > If you haven't already, please report this error to the Online Banking team at BMO and request they open an escalation with their service provider to correct the invalid file data.
    >
    > In the meantime, if you are receiving the OL-221-A error when attempting to import a downloaded BMO Web Connect file, please see the workaround provided by @maple_leafs_67 here, to edit the file and correct the invalid data.
    >
    > Once the file has been edited, save the changes and then import the file once more (File > Import File > Web Connect) into Quicken, the import should now be successful.
    >
    > Web Connect files are generated and downloaded by the Financial Institution servers and Quicken does not have access to the institutions servers to correct the data directly.  More information on Web Connect files and how they work is also available here.
    >
    > I hope this information is helpful and thank you again for reporting this error to the Community.
    >
    > Sarah

How would I open the file and make this change on a Mac?
  • rocketbudrocketbud Member
    I am having same issue with OL-221-A errors from BP VISA/SYNCB. I have checked the .qfx file and find the correct code sequence at the end. I have compared prior .qfx files and all are the same. I recently downloaded a .qfx from my Barclays CC account and transactions loaded without a problem. Comparing the .qfx files the only difference was the Barclay file had the transactions in one continuous string. The SYNCB file had tab spacing tree type organization for the transactions. Could the difference in the text format of the data be the issue (continuous string vs tabed data separation)?
  • bbscanbbscan Member
    Same problem..Your solution works for me by changing last line of DL. BMO choosing to ignore me or give sop orate response, so I ty all for this quick solution. BZ.
  • ScorpteqScorpteq Member ✭✭
    For years I have been successfully downloading from my bank's website to import to my Quicken (starter ed.) on Windows.
    Recently the following error prevents downloads (but I have not yet interrogated my bank's support line).
    "Quicken is unable to complete your request.[OL-221-A][OL-221-B]"
    I tried changing the file extension from .QFX to .QXF , to no avail.
  • SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please provide the year and version of Quicken being used: select Help > About Quicken
    Please provide the full name of the financial institution and the connection method being used: open the register, press Ctrl + Shift + E and select the Online Services tab.

Note: .QXF is not an appropriate file extension for downloaded transactions. 

Quicken user since 1997
    Premier on Windows 10
  • chitownhockeychitownhockey Member ✭✭✭✭
    Bank?  Quicken version and release?
  • splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    QFX is the correct extension.  QXF is the file format used to transfer the contents of a data file between Windows and Mac versions of the software.
    Change the file's extension back to QFX.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW 2015, 2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

This discussion has been closed.