Add Personal Calendar Events to My Reminders in Quicken [Edited]

Add Holidays to the Calendar. Also, general reminders that aren't necessarily tied to an account or financial matter (like birthdays).
 ---- Quicken User since 1998 ----
2 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do that in my email client.  I don't see the need to clutter up Q with that info also.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Philip107
    Philip107 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Ok. But that’s just your opinion. I think it would be useful. 
  • FlyerFran
    FlyerFran Windows Beta Beta
    Thanks to @quicken jared for pointing out this suggestion.  I agree with @Philip107 that it would be useful.  

Also, like @NotACPA suggests, I could use my email client to get personal reminders, but since I start pretty much every day with a Quicken One Step Update, I suggest that adding my Personal Calendar Reminders to Quicken and being able to download reminders for my upcoming events would be a great addition.

I'd like to retitle this suggestion to: "Add Personal Calendar Events to my Reminders in Quicken" and see if we can get enough votes to make it happen. 
  • Philip107
    Philip107 Member ✭✭✭✭
    I agree. I'd love to see some Quicken updates come through that I'd actually use. For years now the updates aren't that inspiring or useful to me.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    FlyerFran said:
    I'd like to retitle this suggestion to: "Add Personal Calendar Events to my Reminders in Quicken" and see if we can get enough votes to make it happen. 
    Nothing is preventing you from doing this now. You can create a $0.00 reminder with any text you like.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.
  • FlyerFran
    Thanks @Rocket J Squirrel Interesting thought.  What account do you use in setting up these reminders?

• Rocket J Squirrel
    FlyerFran said:
    Thanks @Rocket J Squirrel Interesting thought.  What account do you use in setting up these reminders?
    Doesn't matter. I used my checking account for the example above. You could set up a pseudo-account for these reminders; that would probably be cleaner.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting to use Calendar vs Register… 
    I create some Reminders in my Schwab Register for certain upcoming things like splits, wash sale date, etc 
    QWin Deluxe Subscription - Win10
  • FlyerFran
    Thanks to the comments above, I offer the following:

Q' would add a new calendar, entitled "Personal Reminders" (as compared to Financial Ones).

A new item entitled "Manage Personal Reminders" would be added to the Tools Menu.

The Drop Down window for this new item would include "Event," "Time" & "Date," with further Drop             Downs for Time & Date ranges.  The Drop Down window would also include buttons "Enter/New"               and "Enter/Down" (like in Investment Transactions windows.)

The above would make Q' even more useful, since a user could view all of their personal and financial reminders in one place.  OSU sessions would be even better. 😎

Since I spend more time in Q' than any other program, I'd rather enter my personal reminders directly into Q'.

But, to make this new feature advantageous to everyone (thanks @NotACPA for your comment), adding the capability to import the data from email client calendars would be a great addition.  

• FlyerFran
    Should be "Enter/Done"
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    I don't think this belongs in Quicken. There are many ways to manage your personal calendar. I want my personal calendar separate from my financial calendar. Plus asking for a feature of this magnitude is asking for 10 new Quicken bugs.
  • keedow28
    keedow28 Member ✭✭
    I think this is a fantastic idea. We spend so much time in the Quicken tool to have the option to add personal calendar events to my reminders would make time management even easier! I understand some say it would cause issues, but I don't agree and see this being a very useful add. If someone doesn’t want to use it, that’s their choice, but I love this idea!
  • Scooterlam
    Scooterlam SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Curious....For Outlook users, have you tried going the other way - to combine Quicken's reminders with your other reminders in Outlook?   Quicken does provide a "sync to Outlook" feature to consolidate your other reminders with Quicken reminders.   Sadly, for me, using this feature crashes Quicken and has been broken for me for some time and continues to be broken.... :/  Image.  

• Rocket J Squirrel
    edited July 2022
    @Scooterlam You have 32 bit Outlook? I have the 64 bit version which is known not to work with 32 bit Quicken. When I just tried it for the first time, nothing happened. No new events in Outlook, no error message, but at least Quicken didn't crash.
  • Scooterlam
    Scooterlam SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    @Rocket J Squirrel  Yes, its 32 bit Outlook 2019.  
  • imdcareys
    imdcareys Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    I often miss downloading periodic statements from my various FI's. I think that being able to add reminders to do that would be right at home in Quicken since it's Financially related to when I can reconcile my account. 

I have upvoted because I think this is a GREAT idea!
    QW Home, Business, & Rental Property - Current version
  • YES! YES! YES! Incorporate ability to add personal reminders and calendar entries (that are not already included in the standard "Bills and Reminders"! Would be nice to set reminders about changing something in Quicken file that occurs months away, adding reminders about online financial institution statement availability, adding reminders to close pending paid off loans, etc. Would also be great to have a feature that would import selected calendar items from Google calendar (we NEVER use MS outlook). Please implement! BTW, we've been using Quicken for 33 years!