How to fix "Exceeded Max number of data sets............"

TPerk100
TPerk100 Member ✭✭
When I try to perform on line update, I get message "You have exceeded the maximum number of datasets. You cannot continue to perform your current task...................." I click OK and update runs. How to fix this?

I think this has something to do with Quicken asking me for my ID, and asking me for an old one that does not exist. I tried to fix this in Settings.

Also when starting quicken it gives me same message.

Will appreciate any help here.

Best Answers

Answers

• TPerk100
    TPerk100 Member ✭✭
    Greg, I already tried this. I have been "connecting" with chat now for almost an hour.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, Quicken Customer Care is the only one that can fix the problem. We're just other users here in the Community.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    1. Go to Edit / Preferences / Quicken ID, Sync & Alerts
    2. Click the "Sign in as a different user" link immediately above the "Mobile and Web" group.
    3. Sign out, then sign back in to your Quicken account using your current (correct) Quicken ID.

• TPerk100
    TPerk100 Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    UKR, Thanks. This fixed the "You have exceeded......" I do not get the message any more.

But NOW, when I open Qw, I get the Problem and Solution" window saying "Quicken can't open your data file." I have to open my file from within Qw. Minor inconvenience but would like to fix this.

I just realized that it only does this EVERY OTHER TIME I open qw. The OTHER times it works properly.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tell me more about your data file, please.
    • Is it located somewhere other than the recommended folder:
      C:\Users\_your_username_\Documents\Quicken.
    • Does the file name end in a blank space, e.g., QDATA_.QDF (where the _underscore represents the blank space)? If so, rename the file with Quicken closed to remove the blank space, then double-click the file name to start Quicken using this renamed file.
    • Do you use cloud backup software like OneDrive, Dropbox or any other network server backup program to backup the folder containing your active Quicken data file? If so, configure this backup software to NOT access the active data file (or the entire subfolder containing the file) while Quicken is running.
  • TPerk100
    TPerk100 Member ✭✭
    Wow. QW has been running correctly for years, UNTIL when opening Qw I was required to enter my Qw ID. It went downhill from there.

My Qw data file is located in Dropbox. C:\Users\User\Dropbox\Quicken\ta data3. Been working this way for a long time.

File name does not end in blank space.

Yes, I use Acronis True Image. It backs up C:\ to cloud every 20 minutes. Been doing this for years also.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accessing the data file from within a Dropbox folder using Quicken is not a good idea: https://www.quicken.com/support/can-i-share-my-quicken-file-between-multiple-computers-using-dropbox
  • TPerk100
    TPerk100 Member ✭✭
    I never access the file from more than one location. Been running this way for about 3 yrs.
    Anyway, I think I will move the file to my local Docs folder and see if the problem persists.
  • TPerk100
    TPerk100 Member ✭✭
    Moved file from DropBox to Docs, to Google Drive Docs, and back and forth some more. Start up problem stayed only with Dropbox location. Re-installed DropBox and all is OK now. Go figure. Have never had a problem with Qw datafile in Dropbox..............until Qw, out of the blue, required me to log in with my Quicken ID.

Thanks for your help,
    CASE CLOSED
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope you moved your Quicken data file to a local folder and not a cloud drive folder. Corruption can occur and you might not realize until months later. Use a cloud drive folder for backups.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • TPerk100
    TPerk100 Member ✭✭
    Greg,
    Thanks again for your help.
    My datafile was born roughly 20+ yrs ago. It's 111,400 KB. I've had it on DropBox for about 3 yrs. I just moved it to my local Docs folder and ran validate. It is 100% clean according to first level validate.
    I have been advised numerous times not to run it in the cloud. In the past, when located in my local Docs folder I shared it over the local network. Either my wife or I could access it but not at the same time.
    Since I now have no need to access the file from afar, I am going to leave it in the local Docs folder.....and back up to the cloud.
    Thanks again,
    Tom
This discussion has been closed.