Estimated Dividend Income

Why don't you provide the option to add a column on the investing pages which multiplies the dividend per share times the number of shares. This would provide a good estimate of the expected annual dividend income to be derived from the portfolio.

You have an Estimated Income column ... but it's all zeros.
7 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you haven't already, I suggest you set the Est. income on the Additional Security Information window (right-click on a security, select Edit and Other Info).
  • Mike Yacenda
    Mike Yacenda Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the idea but I don't want to manually add this info on all my stocks . Plus then it would not be kept up to date as the dividends change. Quicken should do that. To do it manually it's not Quick.
  • glenn.hout
    glenn.hout Member ✭✭
    I agree with Mike Yacenda on this point. Quicken is already downloading quotes and investment information every time users do a "One Step Update." It is really a simple, yet needed fix/enhancement to have the "Est. Income" automatically updated by the Quicken software vs requiring users to manually enter this information for securities & ETF's with ticker symbols. "Est. Income" = Annual Dividend payout/share, which Quicken is already downloading for each security with a ticker symbol. Manual user input ensures that the data will be out of date as soon as the security information changes. Since Quicken is updating this data anyway with every One Step Update, it is a simple programming adjustment to update the "Est. Income" field on the security detail record for each security downloaded. It would ensure that the "Estimated Income" column would automatically be updated with the latest security information whenever users click on the "Investing" tab in Quicken. I live in Silicon Valley and have extensive programming experience, which is why I understand how simple this fix would be for Quicken to implement.

Can this enhancement please be added to the next update from Quicken?
  • Quicken_Natalie
    Quicken_Natalie Moderator mod
    edited February 2020
    Hello @Mike Yacenda & @glenn.hout,

Thank you for bringing this to the attention of the Community!

I went ahead and turned this discussion into an Idea thread so that other users are able to vote on it. Our developer's review Idea threads to get an idea of what people would like Quicken to offer.

Be sure to add your vote by clicking on the gray triangle right above the current vote count, located in the blue box at the beginning of this thread:
    Thank you,

Quicken Natalie

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    This has been requested before. One issue is that some securities have varying income throughout the year so it is hard to estimate accurately. Individual stocks usually declare their dividend once per year and pay the same amount for the next 4 quarters, but sometimes mutual funds have a larger dividend in December than the rest of the year. So what should the estimate be - 4x the last payment for quarterly dividends, the total of the last year's payments, or something else?

The data from Quicken's quote provider is last payment * payments per year I think. Also the quote provider's data is spotty and only covers securities with valid tickers.

I prefer to set it myself, but I would like the setting to allow more decimal places than currently. It is currently 2 places, so for money market funds with a share price of $1.00, you have to pick between 0%, 1%, or 2%.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Jim_Harman
    For further discussion of this issue, see here
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7430317/dividend-annual-income

I have recently started using @mshiggins' approach of using Reminders for dividend income in taxable accounts, which has the advantage of feeding directly to the Tax Planner. This would not work for active traders however. 
  • glenn.hout
    glenn.hout Member ✭✭
    Hi Quicken-Natalie & Jim Harman,

You both bring up good points. Estimated Income = Annual Dividend Income + Annual Interest Income + Annual Short Term Cap Gains Dist + Annual Long Term Cap Gains Dist. It isn't the same as Annual Dividend Income, and is a much more complex calculation and needs to be done manually as you point out. However, if Quicken were to add a column on the "Investing Portfolio" tab when users select "Customize Current View", which included an "Available Column" titled "Dividend Income," it would at least provide a simple summary of estimated income annually from stock/ETF dividends. Agreed that the dividend data can change over time, but Quicken will continuously update that information with One Step Update more reliably than my going in and doing manual updates when I remember to check. And remember, Estimated Income is not the same thing as Dividend Income; there's really no other place to see Annual Dividend Income unless Quicken calculates it for you automatically for securities/ETF's that have tickers.

Could we please add "Dividend Income" as an additional selectable column that is automatically calculated by Quicken within the Investing Portfolio view?
  • Jim_Harman
    Some people (myself included) do not consider capital gains distributions to be income, even though they are taxable. That's another reason to let people decide for themselves how they want to calculate estimated income.

Note that there is already an "Income" column in the portfolio views that shows the income you have received since the start date set in the Portfolio Preferences. It might be helpful if there were 12-mo and YTD versions of this. The Dividend Yield column is also useful when the data is available.

You can also use the Investment Income report to see historical income.
  • runpeterk
    runpeterk Member
    I just wanted to add my request here. I have done what was suggested.
    1. go to edit the security
    2. in other options added the annual dividend amount and saved.

then when I look in investing area, it shows the annual estimated dividend income. However, I also see the column for the annual dividends. Why can't the quicken programmers just use the shares column and multiply buy the annual dividend column and put the total in the annual income column? This way it would be automatic. I can't add the dividend amount for each security as I have hundreds of them in quicken. As I have seen others say this should be a very easy update for the programmers. Please add this especially since you have started charging a subscription feee.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    runpeterk said:
    I just wanted to add my request here. I have done what was suggested.
    1. go to edit the security
    2. in other options added the annual dividend amount and saved.

then when I look in investing area, it shows the annual estimated dividend income. However, I also see the column for the annual dividends. Why can't the quicken programmers just use the shares column and multiply buy the annual dividend column and put the total in the annual income column? This way it would be automatic. I can't add the dividend amount for each security as I have hundreds of them in quicken. As I have seen others say this should be a very easy update for the programmers. Please add this especially since you have started charging a subscription feee.
    Just a couple of points you may have overlooked:
    • The estimated income may include income from interest, dividends, and distributions.
    • The third party quote service provider does not provide an annual dividend for all securities with dividends.