Uncategorized transactions (Q Mac)

Couple of days ago, I noticed there are over 100 uncategorized transactions after upgrading to 5.13.2. I know for a fact that i had categorized them before. Some transactions are in the last couple of years but other stretched back 20 years ago. I can't say for sure which upgrade caused this, just that I discovered them on 5.13.2.

I am able to recover older versions of Quicken from Trash and I have data backups going back many months, so what I am thinking is to launch an older version of Quicken and open an older data file to see the categorizations so I can manually apply them to the latest version.

Example of the version prior to 5.13.2 is "Quicken (513.30543.100). app". Has anyone done this before and know that opening an older Quicken version won't affect the current Quicken settings? As a software developer, this smells like trouble but perhaps i am overly cautious. Quicken support tells me to uninstall the current Quicken version by dragging it to trash and launching an older version.

Any insights will be much appreciated.

Best Answer

• dhammabobdhammabob ✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    I root caused the issue, this is due to Quicken changing their categories, in the past, if a transaction is uncategorized, it shows as blank entry, now all uncategorized transactions are explicitly set to uncategorized instead of just showing blank. Mystery solved, hope this helps someone else seeing the same issue.

Answers

• John_in_NCJohn_in_NC SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suspect the upgrade is coincidental: SQLite database corruption is relatively rare, and when it does occur, it is pretty severe. The first thing I would check is to see if the transx missing categories are using the same one(s). I don't know if you have done anything prior to this, but changing (or removing) the categories in the Category list will alter all transactions using that category. I'm not saying you have, but it is a possibility.

Then, yes, make a copy of one of your older files, and open/allow it to upgrade. Don't update/sync if you have that enabled. Check for missing categories. (You might have to go back a period of time until you discover untampered data.)  If you data appears fine, then I would try updating transactions. If the categories then again disappear, I would suspect corrupted Cloud data.

If your Cloud data is corrupted, then you would need to again restore your older file without syncing. Reset your Cloud data (via preferences) and then perform a sync. Post back if you need assistance doing this.
  • dhammabobdhammabob Member ✭✭
    Hi John, thanks for your detailed response. I don't think it's SQLite DB corruption, I think the data migration as part of the version(s) upgrade might have caused these transactions to be uncategorized.

I did not delete any categories, so that's not the issue. I am also a bit confused about the cloud data as I don't sync any data to the cloud nor mobile app. The only cloud data used by Quicken is for connected services only. Which part of the cloud data are you referring to?

Do you have any experience running an older version of Quicken restoring from an older data backup file?

Thanks for your insights.
  • John_in_NCJohn_in_NC SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even if you don't use online activity, there may be limited syncing going on with Cloud services-more likely to be with Quicken Connect methods of downloading transactions. So, don't rule it out.

The only time I have run older versions is for testing purposes. It can be done-simply locate an older copy of the app (such as from Time Machine or Trash) and use that without allowing it to upgrade when prompted. That is pretty easy.

As far as your files: Tip: your backup is really nothing more than a zip container. You can change the .quickenbackup extension to .zip. Once uncompressed, you have a plain old file to work with. So, that may save you time in going back through old files. Obviously, keep a copy of the old, untampered ones.

Now, you didn't mention what version you upgraded from, so that may be relevant. But, most bad data from program updates are pretty rare. I am not saying it isn't the case, but more that it is unlikely.

I first would try opening an older data file in the latest version (allowing it to update the format) and see if things are still categorized. If they are, something else is amiss (such as possibly cloud data corruption)

If all your old files lose the category in the newer version, and opening the same in an older version of Quicken still is fine, then you will need to report this as an issue. 
  • dhammabobdhammabob Member ✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    I root caused the issue, this is due to Quicken changing their categories, in the past, if a transaction is uncategorized, it shows as blank entry, now all uncategorized transactions are explicitly set to uncategorized instead of just showing blank. Mystery solved, hope this helps someone else seeing the same issue.