Issues downloading due to 2 Factor Authentication - QMac (updated title)

This discussion was created from comments split from: Connection with bank or download error 102 (Q Mac).

Comments

• dirk102dirk102 Member ✭✭
    I recently upgraded and also closed one of three Bank of America accounts. when I go to sync I receive this error right after I submit to Quicken to text me the two factor authentication code to my phone. status = ACCOUNT_MISMATCH:ccscrape.106

Deluxe 202
    Version 5.13.2 (Build 513.30554.100)
    Mac OS 10.14.6

What can I do to get these back on track and working like they did for the past two years without a problem? PS, this is why I dread Quicken updates.
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you deactivated the closed account in Quicken (and optionally also marked it closed)?

• dirk102dirk102 Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019 Accepted Answer
    Thanks, but I tried a few things before reading this and that account is now no longer listed. I now recall this has happened before with an upgrade and turning off then on two factor authentication did the trick. Not this time.

Here is what I did. I turned off two factor authentication (TFA) with Bank of America and it worked - I was able to connect with Quicken and download transactions. (the closed account is now gone). I turned TFA back on and I get the error. The error occurs right after Quicken asks how I want to receive my TFA code NOT when trying to download transactions - it doesn't get that far. I want TFA on of course.

Edit. Of course, 20 minutes later I try again and it works, with TFA. For what it is worth, this may be the 2nd or 3rd upgrade with this problem (for me). Just turn off TFA, then turn it on to see what happens.

P.S. Why do other accounts with TFA (Vanguard, TIAA...) not ask for a code with Quicken, but BoA does? I like that BoA does this, but kind of glad the others do not as responding to 3-4 texts would be a real pain.
  • Wayne MartinWayne Martin Member ✭✭
    Quicken Premier 2020 Version 5.13.2 (Build 513.30554.100) macOS 10.13.6

Update account error "Partial Download -30). MFA_Required_Action"

Necessary to call Digital Federal Credit Union to get Authorization Code to update DCU accounts. Next Update will result in same error.

DCU help says third party aggregators like Quicken implemented a security change and the fix must be done on their end.

I've been dealing with this for a month or so hoping Quicken knows and it clears up.
    see also: ERROR: MFA_ACTION_REQUIRED
    very similar problem
  • 63GBPackerfan63GBPackerfan Member
    edited November 2019
    Since the last update to Quicken for Mac subscription, every time I do a transaction download, it requires me to retrieve a verification code from my bank (Safe Credit Union) to be texted to me. It’s gettin rather annoying, since it just started after the lasted update. Any known resolution?
  • I have had the same problem with Vermont Federal Credit Union for just over two weeks.
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have the sneaky suspicion that you will have to do this security code stuff every time you want to download transactions. Many banks are making changes, for security reasons. They want to be sure that it's really you who they are sending data to, and not some foreign hackers.
  • I don't have a MAC, but I'm having the same issue when downloading my credit union transactions. It's becoming very annoying.
  • edwinpjedwinpj Member
    When I download my transactions from Clinton Savings Bank, every single time it asks me to use two-factor authentication with my phone. This is really annoying. Can this bug please be fixed? Thank you.
    today I followed the process outlined in ERROR: MFA_ACTION_REQUIRED from Natalie for my three accounts at the credit union to rule that process out. I have to wait until the next Account Update on different date to see if the MFA error returns.
  • Quicken_TykaQuicken_Tyka Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    Hello edwinpj,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your question, although I apologize for any concern that this change to a 2-factor authentication has caused.

In regards to why a financial institution may move to an MFA protocol.

As a defense against phishing attacks and other online scams, the Federal Financial Institutions Examination Council (FFIEC) has released guidelines that required financial institutions to strengthen their customer authentication measures for Internet banking transactions. As a result, many financial institutions are requiring identity verification beyond a customer ID and password when customers request online account access. This additional information is sometimes called multi-factor authentication, of MFA.

https://www.quicken.com/support/provide-additional-authentication-requested-my-financial-institution

If the financial institution has moved to require a 2 step verification to download transactions to Quicken, there is no action that Quicken can take to reverse this decision.

I hope this clarifies.
    -Quicken Tyka
    -Quicken Tyka
  • Americu CU asking for security verification every time I try to update. Been going on for a week. Quicken Mac 2017
  • SystemSystem Member ✭✭✭
    This discussion was created from comments split from: can no longer connect to my credit union - Impact Credit Union -.
  • I was told today by Vermont Federal Credit Union that multi-factor authentication was now needed for each download attempt. I can understand why they would want that, but the Quicken Mac interface is not up to the job. It is handled as an error rather than a normal business process.
    Additional description of my post Dated November 12.

The process to download for my accounts goes like this:
    Select Update All Accounts, when complete the Account Status box will appear, The Credit Union accounts will show the previous download Date and Time while all other account will reflect the current date and time.
    The Account Status box shows the option to update for the Credit Union accounts. Selecting the Update button will process resulting in the MFA Error then I select the FIX button to bring up a box where I must input account ID and Password to have the bank send a verification code to reset the sign-in and allow account updates.

It seems Many Credit Unions may be using the same banking system.
  • When attempting to download account transactions from Dort Federal Credit Union.
    This started about 2 weeks ago after new quicken versions updates. How do I resolve this problem?
  • lhossuslhossus SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Try this:
    • Click on the Add Account button (the "+" (plus) sign) at the top of the sidebar. 
    • Go thru the process of selecting the bank with the MFA Action required. 
    • Sign in as you would if you were adding another account at that bank. 
    At this point, you should get a prompt to complete the MFA Action. This might be a request for the answer to a secret question, or may involve selecting where you want to receive a security code that can be entered into a dialog.
    Once you complete this MFA Action, you can cancel the actual process of adding any account. You should now be able to download transactions.
    This works for the one bank I have that requires MFA. Hopefully it works for your bank as well.
    Quicken Mac Subscription
    macOS Sierra 10.12.6
  • Thanks for your suggestion.
    I will give it a try.
  • Thank you ihossus!! It is working for me so far. I exited out when it got to the Link Account screen. Intuit: while this method works, it is NOT elegant. instructions should have been included in the release notes so we did not have to suffer thru numerous security code retrievals and entry.
This discussion has been closed.