Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

My system is not reconciling properly. It does not seem to be doing the math properly. What gives

Best Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    "It initial shows the correct information when I enter how much I credited and debited.."
    What are you referring to here?  Are we dealing with some sort of bank Account - checking, savings - or a credit card Account?  I'm guessing "credit card" based on what you've said here - the initial screen for a credit card reconciliation asks for charge and payment information - but I'm not sure.
    "but when selecting the items from the statement as usual it seems to be adding for a payment instead of subtracting."
    Now I'm guessing that you're referring to the next screen that shows up when you reconcile a credit card, but again, that's not clear.  In that screen you select items that you've posted in Quicken that have cleared the bank, i.e., have shown up on a credit card statement.  Looking at that page, let's say for sake of argument, that your credit card balance per the statement and per Quicken are exactly the same and that you've gone through the "Charges" column and selected all the listed items and at that point only your monthly payment over on the "Payments" column is unchecked.  Down at the bottom of the screen you'd see a "Cleared Balance" that's larger than the "Statement Ending Balance" by exactly the amount of the payment that you haven't checked yet.  Checking the payment would make the two listed amounts equal and the "Difference" would by $0. 
    Are you saying that by selecting the payment for inclusion in the reconcile is doubling the "Difference" amount?

Answers

• Tom Young
    Maybe you can add some details here, including a screenshot if possible, so somebody has a realistic change of coming up with an answer.  Generally computers are good at math and generally Quicken is too.  Where, exactly, does it look like Quicken can't do math properly?
  • kamay10
    kamay10 Member
    It initial shows the correct information when I enter how much I credited and debited, but when selecting the items from the statement as usual it seems to be adding for a payment instead of subtracting. Also, when I tried to cancel and reenter information it would not let me start over. I have been using quicken since it started and it is a software error of some sort. Could something have been corrupted?
  • I am having the same issue. I changed a paycheck, subtracted $45 and added $20. The total on my split screen is $1,704.27 but what it added on my deposit column was $1,589.19. In addition, I had a double payment and I deleted one but it didn't change my total. I have reloaded the latest release/update, but I am stil having issues.
  • EricN
    EricN Member ✭✭
    For the last couple of releases (22.12 & 23.14) my paycheck function has been broken too. What's showing on screen and what's being added are not the same. Additionally, if you delete a line in the paycheck, odd things happen. My work-around was to simply put my paycheck transaction into a normal split transaction, and that solved the reconcile and entry until Quicken squashes the bug. I suspect Quicken doesn't have a Unit Test for the Paycheck on the development side. ;).
  • Tom Young
    Accepted Answer
    "It initial shows the correct information when I enter how much I credited and debited.."
    What are you referring to here?  Are we dealing with some sort of bank Account - checking, savings - or a credit card Account?  I'm guessing "credit card" based on what you've said here - the initial screen for a credit card reconciliation asks for charge and payment information - but I'm not sure.
    "but when selecting the items from the statement as usual it seems to be adding for a payment instead of subtracting."
    Now I'm guessing that you're referring to the next screen that shows up when you reconcile a credit card, but again, that's not clear.  In that screen you select items that you've posted in Quicken that have cleared the bank, i.e., have shown up on a credit card statement.  Looking at that page, let's say for sake of argument, that your credit card balance per the statement and per Quicken are exactly the same and that you've gone through the "Charges" column and selected all the listed items and at that point only your monthly payment over on the "Payments" column is unchecked.  Down at the bottom of the screen you'd see a "Cleared Balance" that's larger than the "Statement Ending Balance" by exactly the amount of the payment that you haven't checked yet.  Checking the payment would make the two listed amounts equal and the "Difference" would by $0. 
    Are you saying that by selecting the payment for inclusion in the reconcile is doubling the "Difference" amount?
  • Tom Young
    Either of you using synch to mobile?  There does seem to be a "known issue" with paychecks and synching.  I'd advise starting a new topic since kaymay10's issue has to do with some sort of Account reconciling, not paycheck issues.
  • kamay10
    kamay10 Member
    Yes, what you describe is happening. Yes to it's a credit card account. I also have an error with synching. Think something is just corrupted.
  • Tom Young
    First, do "File" > "File Operations" > "Copy..."
    Then, using the copied file try File > File Operations > Validate and Repair..
    and see if things change.  If they don't change, does the problem appear to be associated with a recent update?  What version are you running?

• kamay10
    kamay10 Member
    Yes, it does seem to be associated with the recent update. It is just busted. I restored to an earlier good version where everything reconciled, updated and still had the same issues with the reconciliation process. Just isn't working properly.