Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Reconciliation error - the bank says I have 4K less than quicken

Charlie2640
Charlie2640 Member ✭✭
long, long time user of Quicken. Bear with me for a moment. I'm mr. budget in the house, so I pretty much know what comes in and what goes out. I know what's supposed to be in my checkbook, I know what I spend. I reconcile religiously.

So, prior to my checking statement arriving, I could already tell I had a problem - I could look up my balance on line and compare it to quicken 4K delta. In the bank's favor. That's okay, I know the bank is right.

So, I suspect I fat fingered something. It's happened in the last 2 weeks. My statement came in today, and yeah I'm way out of balance. I do not suspect Quicken of anything, I'm 99% sure I have a boo boo, but damned if I can find it.

Anyone suggest approaches for tracking this down? I've already looked for transactions that are 1/2 or 2x of the amount. My register goes back to 2003, so I'm trying to avoid paging through thousands of entries.

Thanks for any ideas or tips.
Tagged:

Best Answers

• Charlie2640
    Charlie2640 Member ✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Tom- good suggestion. I seemed to have fat fingered and deleted three large payments from past months. I knew it had to be something like that, but I was struggling at finding it. As soon as I found one, I knew where else to look.

Thanks for the pointer on that reconciliation report.

Charlie

Answers

• Charlie2640
    Charlie2640 Member ✭✭
    moment please... (crowd pauses)...
  • Charlie2640
    Charlie2640 Member ✭✭
    well I go there - and I admit I'm off in la la land - I see nothing I can use. Tom, I follow your logic. Let me pound on this a bit...
  • Charlie2640
    Charlie2640 Member ✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Tom- good suggestion. I seemed to have fat fingered and deleted three large payments from past months. I knew it had to be something like that, but I was struggling at finding it. As soon as I found one, I knew where else to look.

Thanks for the pointer on that reconciliation report.

Charlie
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Now, having nailed that down, do File > Set password to modify transactions...
    That doesn't mean you can't edit transactions that a prior to whatever "Required for dates through:" you've selected, you still can, but it throws up a warning and slows you down a bit so you can ponder "do I really want to do this?"

This discussion has been closed.