Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Database corruption

My Quicken DB gets corrupted frequently. I constantly have to validate the file and re-enter lost data. I created a new DB 2 years ago and still have the problem. It get's corrupt nearly every time I use it. I've run chkdsk on my PC and the drive checks out fine. I called Quicken Support and was told that need to run more backups, I need to install updates correctly (btw, I just click OK to install the update when prompted while starting Quicken), I need to re-create the DB, etc. Nothing to help determine why the data is being corrupted. I asked how much data I could keep in the DB, and was just given the standard answer "It depends". Apparently the Quicken DB isn't robust enough to handle a couple of years worth of data. The size of my DB is currently 28 MB. Seems like it should be able to handle data files much larger than that. Has anybody else experienced these problems and found a way to fix it? Right now the solution that I'm looking at is to drop Quicken. My experience with Tech Support was HORRIBLE!!!

Comments

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of the leading causes to data corruption in Quicken is hosting the data file on any cloud based services such as OneDrive, DropBox etc. The design architecture in Quicken does not tolerate data reads from these services while Quicken is open.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 20H2
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file? Do you have Controlled Folder Access enabled in Windows Defender? Are you using OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Backup?

My Quicken data file is 94 MB and has transactions going back to 1985 and have not had any file corruption. I also backup every time I exit Quicken.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • morrisod
    morrisod Member ✭✭
    @GeoffG, that's understandable. That's why I keep the DB on my local drive. Thanks.

@Greg_the_Geek, the file is stored on my local drive (C:\Users\********\AppData\Local\Quicken). I'm not storing it on any Cloud service storage. Controlled Folder Access isn't enabled. Do you have it enabled? I used to have a 93 MB DB, before starting new 2 years ago. What version of Quicken are you using? I'm using Quicken Premier Windows Subscription year 2020, version R23.14, build 27.1.23.14. Thanks.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your Quicken data file should be stored in C:\Users\********\Documents\Quicken. If you have Controlled Folder Access enabled, you need to make an exemption for QW.exe. I'm using Quicken 2017 H&B R19.7.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

Are you Syncing to Mobile/Web?
    AND do you use the Mobile app on your smartphone or the Quicken on the Web feature?

If you answer "no" to both, turn Sync off completely. You don't need it.

If yes, try to Reset Sync so that the current cloud sync file is replaced with a fresh complete copy
    Do note that a full Sync process may take many minutes to complete.

Log out of your mobile app, then do this on your desktop / laptop:

How to reset Sync to Cloud

1. Go to Edit / Preferences / Quicken ID, Sync & Alerts
    2. Under the "Mobile and Web" group to the right, if present, click the "Reset your cloud data" link and follow the instructions until it is complete.

How to turn off Sync to Cloud for the current data file

1. Go to Edit / Preferences / Quicken ID, Sync & Alerts
    2. Click the "Sign in as a different user" link immediately above the "Mobile and Web" group.
    3. Sign out, then sign back in to your Quicken account using your current (correct) Quicken ID.
    4. If the current data file was actively synced to mobile prior to signing out,  the following screen will present a "Use mobile" / "Don't use mobile" choice. Make sure you select the "Don't use mobile" option and move through the remainder of the process. 
      [Please note: The mobile sync option is the default here.]

• morrisod
    morrisod Member ✭✭
    @UKR, I am using the mobile app. I have wondered if that is causing the corruption. I've reset/re-synced the data to the Cloud many times. Maybe I'll try disabling it for a while to see if the problems go away. Thanks.

@Greg_the_Geek, I can't imagine why storing it in the "...\Documents\Quicken" folder vs. the "...\appdata\local\Quicken" folder would make a difference. Both are under my profile. But I'll move it just to see. Thanks
This discussion has been closed.