Mobile app won't connect with Schwab

This has been ongoing for over a year. The mobile app steadfastly refuses to connect to Schwab. The username and password are correct—definitively! Both the Mac and Windows desktop versions connect without issue using the same credentials. Why is this such an issue with the mobile app?
Anyone????

Comments

• Quicken_TykaQuicken_Tyka Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Hello J D Thomas,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your issue, although I apologize that you haven't received a response.

If you haven't already, please take a moment to review the steps and troubleshooting available here.

If the trouble persists after completing these steps would recommend submitting feedback to the Mobile Development team.

This can be found from the Menu in the app and by select "Feedback."

Alternatively, the Mobile Development team may also be emailed at-

[email protected]

Thank you,
    -Quicken Tyka
    -Quicken Tyka
  • J D ThomasJ D Thomas Member ✭✭
    The link you provided above really only addresses issues with Windows or Mac applications. My problem is exclusively with the mobile app. I have both Mac and Windows versions of Quicken, and they sync just fine. My issue is ONLY with the mobile app and one account: Schwab, as I explained in my original message.
  • PL30066PL30066 Member ✭✭
    Hey J D Thomas, I was having this issue a while back. For me, it was because I had two-factor auth turned on at Schwab. It seems like Quicken can do updates within Quicken desktop, regardless of how 2FA is set at Schwab. However, on the mobile app, having 2FA on will definitely block access. Once I turned 2FA off at Schwab, updating Quicken mobile worked fine. Leaving 2FA permanently off is not an acceptable trade-off to me personally for any of the depository and/or investment sites I use. So I turned it back on. I was surprised to see that mobile access continued to work, even after turning 2FA back on.

I have always made it a practice to change my password on my financial site every month. Unfortunately, doing so "re-broke" the Quicken mobile updates. So, then I had to decide if I was comfortable with the idea of not changing my passwords each month. Doing so would require me to again go through the process (change my password, turn 2FA off, get mobile syncing again, turn 2FA back on, and then re-add the VIP tokens for each of my desktops, my phone, and my tablet). Again, not an acceptable trade-off for me personally.

So, I came up with a workaround to capture transactions via mobile, which allowed me to maintain my level of password security. Read on if interested.

In place of having Quicken mobile update my Schwab accounts, my first workaround was to set up a memo cash account within Quicken desktop. I named this new account, "memo - $ to move" and added it to the list of accounts updated to/from the mobile app. After using my check card, I would enter transactions into the memo via Mobile, to sync when I was next using Quicken desktop. Once synced in Quicken, I would simply move all the transactions from the memo account to my Schwab account, effectively zeroing out the memo account. (Hint, to make sure I didn't forget to move the transaction details, I had Quicken desktop always open to the memo account upon startup).

After setting up my first workaround, I subsequently set up text notifications on Schwab.com to notify me upon each usage of my debit card. Today, thanks to the text notifications, I rarely rely on the memo cash account. Instead, I just look at my text messages when I'm next on my desktop and enter them directly into my ledger. The only time I consistently use my original workaround is when I need to record a split transaction. In those cases, it's best for me to capture the details immediately following the transaction (because the odds are that the next time I'm on the desktop, I'll have forgotten the split details and will likely have misplaced the receipt).

I hope this is helpful and that the details above are somewhat clear to follow. Please message me if you have any questions. Best of luck.
This discussion has been closed.