Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

"Unable to open selected file" error, starting Nov. 7

Windows 10; Quicken Deluxe 2019 subscription; R: 23.14, Build 27.1.23

Never before. Quicken opens, but error shows. Can only open files from thumb drive Nov. 6 or earlier, by doing a restore. Then everything seems to work, accounts updated, etc. and, saving to hard drive and USB seem to work with appropriate file size listed. But, no files after Nov. 6 will open from hard drive or USB. I think there was an update on Nov. 7? I've tried to reinstall the latest update, but still won't work.

Spent an hour with tech support. Went through troubleshooting, again, no help. He concluded I have a synch problem with OneDrive. But, I have NEVER used OneDrive, and have never used Quicken Mobile/Web services, and have NEVER used Quicken Cloud synch.

Why not reinstall the Quicken software? Any ideas? Thanks.
Goofiness
Quicken Deluxe; Y: 2019; V: R23.14; Build: 27.1.23.14
Windows 10 Home; 64 -bit; V: 1809; OS Build: 17763.615

Comments

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    You may have corruption in your data file which occurred on Nov. 7. Quicken program updates are generally not the cause of your issue.
    Here's what I would try.
    1. Close Quicken if it's running.
    2. Hold CTRL while double-clicking your Quicken program (not data file) desktop icon.
    3. Keep holding CTRL until the Quicken window opens. It will be an empty window with only the File and Help menus visible. Release CTRL.
    4. Do File > File Operations > Validate & Repair.
    5. Use the Browse button in the resulting dialog to locate the problematic QDF file.
    6. Click Validate File and OK.
    This process allows you to attempt repair of the QDF file without first trying to open it in Quicken, which isn't working for you. Good luck.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • goofiness
    goofiness Member ✭✭
    Thank you. I tried your suggestion, which I had already done several times. After clicking "validate", there is just a blank Quicken screen, no file opens, no error message. I had never backed up 11/7, but did find 11/8, etc. on my USB.

Hard for me to understand why one corrupt file does not get "corrected" by restoring an earlier back up, and just proceeding from there. What's the point of back ups if they don't get you running again?

I've seen this problem posted in the past, and did not ever see any resolution.

Could I start a New quicken file, and if it opens, then restore my 11/6 file to the New File? Or, any other suggestions?

Thanks for your interest.
    Goofiness
  • goofiness
    goofiness Member ✭✭
    I opened a New Quicken file and called it "New Quicken File Nov 15". I did not add any accounts or anything. Was able to save it to the USB, and then opened it, no errors, no problems. Can I copy my old data from 11/6 into this New File?

Any other ideas on fixing the old data? Thanks.
    Goofiness
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    goofiness said:
    What's the point of back ups if they don't get you running again?
    One problem with data corruption is that it can hide, unobserved, in your data until some specific event triggers its manifestation. In other words, your backups may have the same previously-unobserved corruption going back in time who knows how far.
    goofiness said:
    Can I copy my old data from 11/6 into this New File?
    Not easily and not completely. You can search the forum for this, but there is no good way to copy data from one file to another. Whatever method you try will lose information in the migration.

Because you can at least open the pre-Nov-7 backup files, I'd suggest trying the procedure in my post above on one of those backup files. Copy the backup file and change its suffix from .QDF-backup to .QDF before starting the procedure.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • goofiness
    goofiness Member ✭✭
    I tried. Quicken could not find my renamed file, though File Explorer could.

So, tried to open a saved file from my USB, 10/3019. Had to go through Find Files>E drive>open file>restore/save. The program opens with all the data on 10/30. I did a OSU, which worked fine. I tried to do back-up to the USB, which seemed to work. But I could not reopen the same file after doing the OSU and back up.

Then, I opened that same 10/30/19 file from the USB, and did a "Validate"; it reported out some issues:

QDF:
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Damaged data record.
    Validating your data.
    Quicken fixed some database header records. No action required.
    Quicken fixed some database header records. No action required.

QEL:
    No read errors.

QEL:Removed 1 qel records for payments not in register
    Validation has completed.

I tried to open the file in Quicken, but no good. So, I'm back to the beginning. I can open files from the USB prior to 11/7 with the restore function, and use the Quicken program for OSU. But, I cannot save or back up from the C drive or USB for anything after 11/7.

Any other ideas, or I am stuck with starting anew, new file, entering all my accounts, passwords, vault info, etc.? Thanks, again.
    Goofiness
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    edited November 2019
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. That error message "Damaged data record" is missing one word: "Irreparably." Those data records cannot be recovered. Try multiple successive Validates, and you'll see that nothing improves (if something actually improves, run out and get a Lotto ticket). So you will need to decide how to proceed.
    If the file is relatively young, just a few years old, you can simply start over. Download as much as you can and manually fill in the rest.
    If the file is big and fat and very old, like mine, your first step is to accept the fact that you will not be able to restore it to health. Once you've accepted that, then go ahead and try anything, no matter how unlikely it seems.
    For example, maybe your irreparably damaged data is all from the year 2010 or earlier. You could try a File > Copy with a cutoff date of 1/1/2011 and hope the damaged records get left behind. Don't open the resulting new file, but validate it first as described above. Didn't work? Try a later date. Maybe you'll eventually get lucky.
    You could try a QIF export/import and see how much information survives.
    Whatever you can think of, go ahead and try it. Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    One way to jump-start a completely new file is to import your accounts, categories, and securities via QIF. With luck, this won't hit any of the damaged data and at least you'll have a starting point.

• goofiness
    goofiness Member ✭✭
    Argh. My files go back maybe 15 years.

Sometime about a year ago, my settings in OSU were no longer being stored. I had to go to "Settings" each time I did OSU, and check the boxes for what accounts I wanted to update. I went through all the troubleshooting, and a discussion in this forum, but it never got fixed. Maybe that was the start of the troubles.

Regarding QIF export, do I first open a New File, and give it a name. Then open one of my saved files from the USB, maybe Nov. 4, and go to File Export. I would search for, or enter, the name of the new file, hit enter, and keep my fingers crossed.

I presume that my accounts, securities and categories are OK, since I have no problem with them. And, if I remember right, when I do my first OSU, some of my accounts will download transactions from at least 6 mos., maybe longer.

If I get the go-ahead from you, I'll give it a try tomorrow. Again, thanks for your help.
    Goofiness
  • goofiness
    goofiness Member ✭✭
    I was not able to get File Export to work. I set up a New Quicken File, which worked fine, even tried using my Wells Fargo checking account. Then, after using my workaround to open my 11/6 file, I tried to export from the 11/6 file to the New Quicken File. Nothing got exported or imported. I'm a little suspicious, because Quicken had trouble locating the New Quicken File, and I had to enter the file name manually. In any event, after a couple tries, I've given up, and am going through the process of manually entering my accounts, then doing OSU. So far, OK with brokerage accounts, but my W.F. checking account won't let me activate Direct Connect, even after following the instructions to go to the WF site, and do some authentication.

This is very disappointing to find that back-ups are not quite worthless, but pretty close. Maybe the message should be to do file validation/repair on a routine basis, as well as back-ups.to better see when things are screwing up, irretrievably. This is a lot like insurance policies; you never know what you've got, until you really need it.
    Goofiness
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file? Do you have Controlled Folder Access enabled in Windows Defender? Are you using OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Backup?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • goofiness
    goofiness Member ✭✭
    Hi, thanks for your interest. I simply use the Quicken backup function, going to the E drive (USB). Nothing changed before everything stopped working. I have never used OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Backup for Quicken or anything else.
    Goofiness
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    We are now in the realm of voodoo. There are some hidden tricks you can try, but there are no guarantees.

1. Open the most recent version of the data file which opens properly.
    2. Open the menu File > File Operations, but don't click yet.
    3. Hold down CTRL+SHIFT and click Copy. Release CTRL+SHIFT.
    4. Answer Yes to "Ignore errors that prevent file copy?"
    5. Proceed with the file copy operation.
    If the file copy succeeds, keep going, using the new copy.
    6. Again, do File > File Operations, but don't click yet.
    7. Hold down CTRL+SHIFT and click Validate & Repair. Release CTRL+SHIFT.
    8. Notice "Validate" now reads "Super validate". Try that.
    Now see whether the validate completes without any damaged data records.
  • goofiness
    goofiness Member ✭✭
    I tried your voodoo solution with two different back ups from my USB, 11/1 and 11/6. I tried copying only data from 1/1/2019-11/18/19.

After the copy, got this message both times: "Unable to reload current file after copy".

I'm currently working to get my New Quicken File functioning, albeit with bank transaction only back 90 days or so. The brokerage accounts are complicated because of the prior set up I used. But, I can at least pay my bills, and get credit card transactions downloaded, and my File Validate is OK.

My current challenge is getting direct Connect with CitiBank, but I'll need to call them, since doing it on-line keeps putting me into a circular logic trap.

Thanks for your help on this. I wonder if I had archived some old transactions whether this data problem could have been avoided.
    Goofiness
This discussion has been closed.