Quicken keeps locking up my bank access

Everyday I have to change my bank password. I get the "Too many attempts, your account is locked." If I would change my password today on the bank website , tomorrow it says something is trying to log into it with the wrong password and it then locks it. I can't think of anyone or thing other than Quicken doing behind the scene attempts to log in. Is there a way to stop that. I suppose I can log into the bank, and do a download, but that sure takes the fun of even using the program. This is for the mac build15.13.2 I am running out of rememberable passwords. I do not use the quicken mobile app at all .

Best Answer

• Joseph ToubesJoseph Toubes ✭✭
    edited November 2019 Accepted Answer
    I "Think" this is resolved . I had the bank change the log on name and password to the account. So far it is viable, but not connected to Quicken. I had a theory here, If I changed the password, two days later the account was locked for too many incorrect log ons. I went into the quicken cloud and destroyed the password/account log on. and all the other stuff. Yet.. still the same problem. It occurred to me that someone could have snagged the log on as My wife reminded me that she used her debit card up at Kum and Go and forgot it. We did file a police report because someone had charged food in town to grubhub and others. So I don't know if it was possible that either the (profanity) took data off the card and was trying to hack into her account or not. OR that a skimmer was used. I had told her to never use her debit card other than at the bank , but the credit card.

Anyway, she called the bank, they changed her log on and password to something different. I have been monitoring her account and so far no problems. Right now I am using her web account option and downloading files and importing them to her account . Yeah it is a pain in the tush, but not a problem.

So I can''t decide whether the issue was the way quicken stores its passwords and for some reason was doing them and causing the hacks or some scum bucket. right now it is resolved

My personal accounts continue to work.

Answers

• Quicken_TykaQuicken_Tyka Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Hello Joseph,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your issue, although I apologize that you haven't received a response.

I would start by following the steps outlined here. This article does list this as a fix for 101/103 errors however, these steps will often correct repeated password requests or incorrect password messages.

Let us know how it goes!

Thank you!
    -Quicken Tyka
    -Quicken Tyka
  • I did all that. The answer was that the next day, I got a message "Your account was locked due to too many log on attempts." Now on Quicken I have two separate accounts, myself and my wife. Both with Bank of America. Mine works flawlessly, but it is my wife's that has the problems. I checked with the bank and her account is enabled for quicken / quickbooks as is mine. My next question is, does the direct connect or the web connect poll the bank log on? and how do I turn that off. You know before the updates (software) both accounts logged on and off with no problems with Quicken. Right now, I am not trying to log on with her account number until a solution is found or if I am the only one.

I did go through every thing for your procedure, but I really couldn't find it worked more than one time, before the bank locked her account and we had to do another password to get in.
  • Quicken_TykaQuicken_Tyka Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    Hello Joseph,

Thank you for the response, although I am sorry to hear that the above steps didn't work to correct the issue.

What connection type is being used for both of these accounts? Is it Quicken Connect or Direct Connect.

If using Quicken Connect:

Access and retrieval of data is automated through the use of nightly updates. During these updates, our aggregation partner logs in to your bank's website on your behalf. Generally, this happens once a day and outside of business hours. Because of this, you may notice login activity on your bank's website overnight.
    https://www.quicken.com/support/how-quicken-connects-your-bank

There isn't a way to turn this process off if using Quicken Connect. You may be able to opt for Direct Connect, however, Bank of America only offers Direct Connect for older accounts that have previously used Direct Connect.

Do these accounts have the same or separate logins?

One option, while it may not be ideal, would be to keep these accounts in separate files. That may prevent the accounts from being locked out.

-Quicken Tyka

-Quicken Tyka
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you change passwords at the bank's website, immediately afterwards update the Mac Keychain (or the Password Vault in Quicken for Windows) and run an account update. During this process, the aggregation server will be given the new password so that the next midnight update run uses the correct password.
  • I did that, and it worked for 2 log ins on the same day, then crapped out. But I can always try, I have had to come up with 23 new passwords.
  • Joseph ToubesJoseph Toubes Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019 Accepted Answer
    I "Think" this is resolved . I had the bank change the log on name and password to the account. So far it is viable, but not connected to Quicken. I had a theory here, If I changed the password, two days later the account was locked for too many incorrect log ons. I went into the quicken cloud and destroyed the password/account log on. and all the other stuff. Yet.. still the same problem. It occurred to me that someone could have snagged the log on as My wife reminded me that she used her debit card up at Kum and Go and forgot it. We did file a police report because someone had charged food in town to grubhub and others. So I don't know if it was possible that either the (profanity) took data off the card and was trying to hack into her account or not. OR that a skimmer was used. I had told her to never use her debit card other than at the bank , but the credit card.

Anyway, she called the bank, they changed her log on and password to something different. I have been monitoring her account and so far no problems. Right now I am using her web account option and downloading files and importing them to her account . Yeah it is a pain in the tush, but not a problem.

So I can''t decide whether the issue was the way quicken stores its passwords and for some reason was doing them and causing the hacks or some scum bucket. right now it is resolved

My personal accounts continue to work.
This discussion has been closed.