Tax Exempt Personal Expense Categories

Greetings,

It seems that this should exist, but I don't see a way.

Lets say I go to a store and the bill is...
  • $10 for "Groceries"
  • $5 for "Diapers"
  • $5 for "Home Goods"
  • $1.40 for sales tax
When I look at the receipt and create my split, it leaves the $1.40 left waiting to be categorized.  I click Allocate > Distribute proportionately between all other split lines.

The problem, I want Quicken to split the tax between "Diapers" and "Home Goods", but NOT "Groceries" since that one's mostly tax exempt.

Is there no really setting to flags a particular Personal Expense category as tax exempt?

Chris
Quicken user since 2014.
Using Quicken Windows Subscription on Windows 10.
Tagged:

Answers

• SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 19
    I suggest you consider assigning the sales tax using an entry with its own category with a tax line item. For example, Tax:State:Sales with Schedule A:Sales tax paid

If you're budgeting, just remember to reduce the available budget of a taxed item appropriately.  You may allocate the difference to a sales tax category.
    Quicken user since 1997
    Premier on Windows 10
  • chitownhockeychitownhockey Member ✭✭✭✭
    And when all is corrected with splits and with the actual sales tax assigned a Sales Tax category, you may still wind up with the last line having an offset split line item (in some cases).

What you'll need to do is blank out the offset last line and then click on the ADJUST button below the split lines.
  • splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you start the transaction (using your numbers) for $11.40 (the two taxable items + tax) vs $21.40, do the split of the two items, do the allocate (affecting only the two entered lines), then add the third line (non-taxable item) and click "adjust" to change the bottom line total would be one way to get what you want without Quicken messing around with the code and potentially breaking something.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW 2015, 2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Rocket J SquirrelRocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    When entering a transaction with sales tax, I initially enter the grand total into the register, then open the split. I put the sales tax in the first line of the split, and Quicken calculates the remainder, which I can then easily categorize.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win7 Pro & Win10 Pro.
  • Chris HarrisChris Harris Member ✭✭✭
    Thank you all for the ideas.  I've created a separate "Idea Post" since the functionality I was hoping for doesn't exist.

Chris
    Quicken user since 2014.
    Using Quicken Windows Subscription on Windows 10.