Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Quicken crashes at start-up

angelahath
angelahath Member ✭✭
Is there please someone who could help me. I am desperate. Since 3 months, Quicken will no longer open on my laptop. I have been in contact with Quicken Support since the start and the last think I was told was to update the BIOS on my machine's operating system. I had that done but a computer service and Quicken still does not start.

Now Quicken support tells me that they did all they can do . The support guy got really rude and annoyed. But I don't know what to do any more. I have already talked to Microsoft, ASUS, NVIDIA and all are saying that it is a Quicken problem since all other programs on my machine work well.

Does anyone have any ideas. (Removed-Off Topic) So thanks for any advice that you have.

Comments

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Do you have Controlled Folder Access enabled in Windows Defender?

FAQ: Windows Defender & Controlled Folder Access
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • angelahath
    angelahath Member ✭✭
    I am not using Windows Defender. I am using Bitdefender. Ransomware is already turned off in Bitdefender. I now added Quicken as a trusted source for Advanced Thread protection but it still doesn't work
  • angelahath
    angelahath Member ✭✭
    Just as I thought, Quicken support told me to contact the manufacturer ASUS, and when I did, I got this message "Let me first apologize about the issues you have been experiencing, but Quicken is a third party application there is nothing we can do about it most I can advise is to uninstall and reinstall the app."
  • angelahath
    angelahath Member ✭✭
    Greg_the_Geek,
    based on the instructions in the link you sent, I uninstalled Quicken 2019, then turned off everything in Bitdefender, and reinstalled it. After the install it finally launched. When I closed the program and tried to restart it, it crashed again. Any more ideas?
  • angelahath
    angelahath Member ✭✭
    I never turned Bitdefender on
  • Greg_the_Geek
    I would try rebooting your computer to Safe Mode with Networking and then running Quicken. Also, what version of Windows are you using?
  • angelahath
    angelahath Member ✭✭
    I just found out that Bitdefender also has Protected Folders but neither Quicken nor my Quicken files are in a protected folder (and I had turned it off during the earlier reinstall)
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Does Quicken crash if you hold the Ctrl key when starting Quicken to disable opening a data file?
  • angelahath
    angelahath Member ✭✭
    Yes it does.
  • angelahath
    angelahath Member ✭✭
    Windows 10
  • Greg_the_Geek
    What version of Windows 10? Settings --> System --> About
  • angelahath
    angelahath Member ✭✭
    Windows 10 Home, 1903, 9/26/2019/ OS build 18362.476
  • angelahath
    angelahath Member ✭✭
    I tried the "Safe Mode with Networking" and Quicken started without problem. Then I closed it and opened it again - no problems.
  • angelahath
    angelahath Member ✭✭
    What does this mean that it works in safemode?
    Thank you so much Greg, you have come further in 3 messages than Quicken support has in almost 3 months. That is amazing.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    It means that a program that starts in Normal mode is causing Quicken to crash. I would try removing Bitdefender first and see what happens. Also, your Windows is behind one release. The current version is 1909.

Quicken Customer Support have not worked on computers for over 50 years. There's a lot to be said for experience.
  • angelahath
    angelahath Member ✭✭
    I deactivated all Bitdefender features. Quicken then opened correctly one time. I then closed it and when I opened it, still with Bitdefender inactive, it crashed. And, thanks, Greg, I updated to 1909 now.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    I would completely uninstall Bitdefender and not just deactivate it.
  • angelahath
    angelahath Member ✭✭
    Thanks, I'll try that tomorrow.
  • angelahath
    angelahath Member ✭✭
    Still trying. I could not totally uninstall Bitdefender without their tech support. So, I have now contacted Bitdefender support in the hope to get an answer from there. But it's Thanksgiving week so I don't expect to hear back any time soon.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    They should have a removal tool you can download.

https://www.bitdefender.com/uninstall/
  • angelahath
    angelahath Member ✭✭
    I tried everything and I even worked directly with Bitdefender support to uninstall it. It is not Bitdefender causing the crash. Thanks for your help Greg, but I am ready to give up and switch back to Intuit. I guess I'll be working with Quickbooks and do my personal finances using another product.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Good luck! As you found, there's something that starts in Normal Mode that causes Quicken to crash. Hopefully, Quickbooks won't crash as well.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it isn't Protected Folders ... are you running MS OneDrive, Dropbox or any other cloud backup software to create backups of your Quicken data file?
    Or is your Quicken data file located in a networked folder or on a drive other than your C:-drive's \Documents\Quicken folder?
    If that is the case, that could potentially be the cause of your problems.
    1) Reconfigure your cloud backup software. See below
    2) Because you had crashes, let's make sure the Quicken software is installed and updated properly and that your data file is in good working order.
    Please perform all the steps in this document:
    Troubleshooting 101 - Fixing Software Installation and Data File Problems

Using Carbonite, OneDrive, Dropbox, etc. as the Backup process

(For this discussion, Carbonite is assumed to be the backup product in effect. Replace "Carbonite" with the name of your backup tool.
    It is also assumed that your Quicken data file is stored in the default (and recommended) location C:\Users\_your_username_here_\Documents\Quicken)

IMHO, you should keep Carbonite (or any other third party backup product which you use) away from your live Quicken data file. It will interfere with some Quicken operations, especially Manual Backup.

Instead, configure Carbonite to backup either of these files:
    - The backup file created by Quicken Automatic Backup
    Or
    - The backup file created by Quicken Manual Backup as you close Quicken.

Backup settings in Quicken are stored in Edit / Preferences / Backup.

If you choose the Automatic Backup file as Carbonite candidate (or even if you don't), activate this process and set it to execute every "1" times Quicken closes. The Automatic Backup file always goes to a \Backup folder that's part of the folder which contains your current Quicken data file, usually \Documents\Quicken\Backup

If you choose the Manual Backup file as Carbonite candidate, create a separate
    \Quicken\Carbonite_Backup folder and direct the Manual Backups to go there every "1" times Quicken closes. Select the "Add date stamp to file name option" so you get multiple backups and not just one that is overwritten every time.

For a belts and suspenders approach:

Automatic Backups go to Carbonite, Manual Backups go to a USB stick or external hard drive.

One can never have enough backups of your Quicken data file. BTDTGTS!

Note: It's been brought to my attention that some versions of Quicken may not start the backup process upon close and/or Sync to Mobile if you close Quicken by any command other than clicking the (used to be red) "X". Using the other commands, Quicken may just simply wait for you to open a new file to resume.

• angelahath
    angelahath Member ✭✭
    Thanks UKR but if Quicken can't work together with my backup software, I really don't want to keep using it any longer. I am using Backup Solutions which you didn't mention. And all the other things you mentioned, like updating software,uninstalling, reinstalling, I have done that together with Quicken support. As I mentioned at the beginning of the thread, it even went as far as Quicken support telling me that my BIOS is the problem which I then updated with great difficulty and help from others but that did not solve the problem either.
  • angelahath
    angelahath Member ✭✭
    However, I just found out something else which is really strange. I opened Quicken without opening a data file and it worked!! I had access to the menus "File" and "Help". I then created a NEW Quicken file and, after I entered a file name and clicked on SAVE, Quicken crashed. Any ideas?
  • angelahath
    angelahath Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    And, by the way, UKR, I did attempt the save the new file in the Documents/Quicken folder.

And just for anyone who is trying to open Q without the company file, you have to hold Ctrl and Shift key for a long time. If you let go to early, Quicken crashes even without opening a company file.
  • angelahath
    angelahath Member ✭✭
    Another test, I turned off network and wifi connections. It successfully created the new file but asked for an internet connection. So I signed in and everything worked fine. I was able to create a new company file. Then I opened my old Quicken company file and was oh so happy to see that it also worked. My file with all its data was working just fine.

But I did not have to wait long for the big disappointment. I closed Quicken and tried to open it again and it crashed again.

I don't even know why I keep trying. I guess its just idle curiosity of my computer geek mind. It is clear to me that Quicken software is to blame but Quicken support has now started refusing to help, telling me, they reviewed my ticket and there is nothing else they can do. Well, if I would treat my customers this way, I would have very few customers left.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Why do you feel it's Quickens problem when there are thousands of users (including myself) that are running Quicken without crashing? You already proved it yourself by running Quicken in Windows Safe Mode that something on your computer is interfering with Quicken in Normal Mode.

Have you tried using the Startup tab in Task Manager to disable all programs from starting up and then running Quicken? If that works, you can enable each program one at a time to see which one is conflicting with Quicken.

You claim to have a "computer geek mind" but you don't seem to know the basics about computer troubleshooting. You need to eliminate as many variables as you can.
  • angelahath
    angelahath Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    If a program runs one minute and then does not run when I start it again, from my perspective as an end-user, the program contains buggy software. Yes, it started in safe mode, but it also started in regular mode - ONCE.

I'm not sure why you think I "claim" to have a computer geek mind. Sorry if my saying that bothered you. It was supposed to be a joke. I am using software all day long but I am not a programmer. But, honestly, if I have as much trouble to get a program to run as I do with Quicken (and that is only since Intuit sold them - I have used Quicken for the past 20 years without problems), it shows low software quality.

Sure, thousand of users have used it for many, many years and loved it WHEN INTUIT OWNED IT. But have you seen have many thousands of users have trouble with it including just simply downloading banking transactions over the past 3 years since it has been sold?

No, I do not know the basics about computer trouble shooting and I never claimed that I did. I guess in your world, I have to be a developer to have an interest in why software doesn't work properly.

Actually, I think I it is pretty sad that I already know way too much about computer trouble shooting since I am "ONLY A USER". But you definitively are a developer who does not think very highly of users.
  • angelahath
    angelahath Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    And with that, I am back to [removed] and recommend the same to anyone else who does not want to waste their time or get insulted.
This discussion has been closed.