Mac: downloads from Schwab brokerage + investor checking are mixed into one account

I'm moving from Quicken for Windows to Mac and the one show stopper I have is that I have a Schwab brokerage account that has a linked investor checking. In Q for Win, I had this setup as a brokerage account with a second linked cash management account (aka "CMA" with checking capability). Download was setup for the brokerage account, but Quicken was smart enough to move all "non-brokerage" transactions over to my linked CMA account. Quicken for Mac apparently doesn't support linked accounts (that's fine), but now all the checking transactions are being downloaded into the Quicken brokerage account which doesn't handle that very well (no check numbers, etc).

I've tried resetting the connection and also setting the Quicken checking account to download from Charles Schwab Bank. N.A. instead of "Inc." and it doesn't work saying I've connected all accounts already.

Has anyone figured out how to get Quicken for Mac to work with a brokerage company that provides a linked checking/cash feature such that the transactions are stored separately in accounts (brokerage and checking) that support the features necessary?

Thanks

Best Answers

• zmansbrzmansbr
    Accepted Answer
    Yep, figured that out while experimenting. Would be good if there was some info on this in the switching to Mac guide.

To provide some more info... to make this work I had to go back to my Windows Quicken file and
    1) deactivate bill pay for the brokerage account - this caused the "Show cash in a checking account" checkbox to re-appear in the Account Details screen. (previously it was hidden).

2) deactivate account download

3) Select "no" for "Show cash in a checking account". This causes Quicken to effectively merge the cash/checking transactions back into the Brokerage account. For my 3 decades file it took about an hour.

4) Adjust the balance which was wrong due to some sides of certain transactions being deleted when I deleted very old accounts a while back.

5) Then re-import into Quicken and within the brokerage "Transactions" view enable various "checking" columns.

Answers

• zmansbrzmansbr Member
    Accepted Answer
    Yep, figured that out while experimenting. Would be good if there was some info on this in the switching to Mac guide.

To provide some more info... to make this work I had to go back to my Windows Quicken file and
    1) deactivate bill pay for the brokerage account - this caused the "Show cash in a checking account" checkbox to re-appear in the Account Details screen. (previously it was hidden).

2) deactivate account download

3) Select "no" for "Show cash in a checking account". This causes Quicken to effectively merge the cash/checking transactions back into the Brokerage account. For my 3 decades file it took about an hour.

4) Adjust the balance which was wrong due to some sides of certain transactions being deleted when I deleted very old accounts a while back.

5) Then re-import into Quicken and within the brokerage "Transactions" view enable various "checking" columns.
This discussion has been closed.